BioWare's new IP: Anthem

I feel like the groundwork is there for them to actually make this game decent. They have lots of fixes, but unlike some other games - it's feel that it IS fixable. It's no worse than Destiny 1's launch status IMO.

eh, it is what everyone has been saying all along. they released the game too early, too incomplete with too many flaws. I mean lets be real, how many of you feel that you got your $60 worth out of the game?

I feel like the groundwork is there for them to actually make this game decent. They have lots of fixes, but unlike some other games - it's feel that it IS fixable. It's no worse than Destiny 1's launch status IMO.

I'd say its worse than launch Destiny 1. D1 had more to do, felt more complete, and its systems meshed together much better. Anthem isn't entirely unfixable, but I think there are some core elements of the game that cannot be fixed or changed.

eh, it is what everyone has been saying all along. they released the game too early, too incomplete with too many flaws. I mean lets be real, how many of you feel that you got your $60 worth out of the game?
That is a really odd question. Since you paid money for a game that has scheduled updates (new content) and you don't have to buy the cosmetic stuff , so yeah it is worth what I paid for.

I'm only level 23 at this point , I am expecting that at L30 it will be a bit more boring..

Well, ouch. First week UK sales are bad. They don't count digital (or PC I believe) so real numbers will look better than what is reported, but even with that its still a pretty rough launch. Hopefully numbers are good enough elsewhere for EA to keep pushing for Bioware to get all hands on deck for getting the game up the snuff.

Well, ouch. First week UK sales are bad. They don't count digital (or PC I believe) so real numbers will look better than what is reported, but even with that its still a pretty rough launch. Hopefully numbers are good enough elsewhere for EA to keep pushing for Bioware to get all hands on deck for getting the game up the snuff.

Doubtful, EA is going to cut Bioware up now. Anthem just blew all the goodwill Apex Legends bought EA.

IMO Bioware is done. This was their last big chance after the Andromeda screw up, and at this point I think it's pretty obvious they failed.

That is a really odd question. Since you paid money for a game that has scheduled updates (new content) and you don't have to buy the cosmetic stuff , so yeah it is worth what I paid for.

I'm only level 23 at this point , I am expecting that at L30 it will be a bit more boring..

I agree...I'm really enjoying the game...I'm at Level 9 and mixing things up between Main Missions, FreePlay and those Fort Tarsis faction missions...the people that are constantly saying how bad the game is over and over have never played it and have been saying the same things since the game was announced...the core gameplay is there...they just need to add more content...it does feel a bit repetitive as far as enemies and mission structure (collect echoes, defeat waves of enemies etc)...the story is not anything amazing but it's not bad...the voice acting is excellent...customization is first class...javelins all feel unique...game-world is gorgeous but I wish there was more variety beyond the same forests and jungle (some deserts, snow etc)

$60 for a game that will be updated regularly for 1.5+ years sounds worth it...I'm expecting some minor updates and major content drops over the next year...some will be bigger hits then others but the game has the opportunity to evolve and become something special...strange that people who love The Division 1 and Destiny don't want to give Anthem the same amount of time and expect perfection from Day 1...I'll bet when Division 2 launches they will ignore all of its issues and pretend like it's amazing on Day 1

I agree...I'm really enjoying the game...I'm at Level 9 and mixing things up between Main Missions, FreePlay and those Fort Tarsis faction missions...the people that are constantly saying how bad the game is over and over have never played it and have been saying the same things since the game was announced...the core gameplay is there...they just need to add more content...it does feel a bit repetitive as far as enemies and mission structure (collect echoes, defeat waves of enemies etc)...the story is not anything amazing but it's not bad...the voice acting is excellent...customization is first class...javelins all feel unique...game-world is gorgeous but I wish there was more variety beyond the same forests and jungle (some deserts, snow etc)

$60 for a game that will be updated regularly for 1.5+ years sounds worth it...I'm expecting some minor updates and major content drops over the next year...some will be bigger hits then others but the game has the opportunity to evolve and become something special...strange that people who love The Division 1 and Destiny don't want to give Anthem the same amount of time and expect perfection from Day 1...I'll bet when Division 2 launches they will ignore all of its issues and pretend like it's amazing on Day 1

I'm HIGHLY skeptical this game is going to have content drops after 6 months. The sales are really really bad.

I'm HIGHLY skeptical this game is going to have content drops after 6 months. The sales are really really bad.

I pretty much guarantee it will...SW Battlefront 2 just received an Anakin Skywalker content drop...if that game is still going after all the initial loot box controversy etc then Anthem will be fine

I pretty much guarantee it will...SW Battlefront 2 just received an Anakin Skywalker content drop...if that game is still going after all the initial loot box controversy etc then Anthem will be fine

Lets bet a dollar on it. 6months from now lets see what the schedule looks like.

Lets bet a dollar on it. 6months from now lets see what the schedule looks like.

even if the game doesn't sell well EA/BioWare is not going to give up on it after 6 months...it's pretty much guaranteed 1 year of content updates...after that we'll see but 1 year is guaranteed after all the resources they put into the game

the people that are constantly saying how bad the game is over and over have never played it and have been saying the same things since the game was announced...the core gameplay is there...they just need to add more content...it does feel a bit repetitive as far as enemies and mission structure (collect echoes, defeat waves of enemies etc)...the story is not anything amazing but it's not bad...the voice acting is excellent...customization is first class...javelins all feel unique...game-world is gorgeous but I wish there was more variety beyond the same forests and jungle (some deserts, snow etc)

I have played it, and I keep giving it chances averyfew days. It doesnt matter how good the bones (core gameplay) of the game is if there is no meat on the bones. No content, repetative missions and enemies, uninspiring loot, mind numbing UI and being forced to go back to base to start new missions. Bland story (bad guy does bad things good guys have to stop bad guy). The game world looks good, but its like they cut and pasted the same thing over and over again.

strange that people who love The Division 1 and Destiny don't want to give Anthem the same amount of time and expect perfection from Day 1...I'll bet when Division 2 launches they will ignore all of its issues and pretend like it's amazing on Day 1

I didntexpect perfection, at the very least I expected as much content as those three launched with. In reality though considering the dev time and the fact that EA/Bioware witnessed the launch of the division, destiny 1 AND 2 and had real world insight intop what they got wrong they still put out a product that was less than all three of them.

I've already agreed that Anthem has potential, it has a lot of potential. However every week that goes by with the game in its current state they are going to lose players. They will need to hit 2-3 homerunswith updates in order for there to be much hope for the game lasting a year.

The division from the start had a pretty satisfyng loot grind system. it only got better over time. it also allowed for some pretty diverse builds.

I want anthem/bioware to succeed, I'd love to be playing it now but it is not in a state where I want to support the company, because that only encourages bad practices.

Bland story (bad guy does bad things good guys have to stop bad guy). The game world looks good, but its like they cut and pasted the same thing over and over again...

does Destiny have some amazing movie quality story?...all these loot shooters are not meant to have Oscar winning storylines...it's about the long term grind- better weapons, abilities, fashion etc...the Anthem story seems to have an interesting villain which alone makes it better then average...I also loved the villains in Mass Effect (Sovereign was way too cool with an amazing voice...Reapers were great)...this is not classic KOTOR BioWare storytelling but I can see their DNA in the way the characters are written...I think people are being a bit too harsh with Anthem when every loot shooter has growing pains...the Anthem we see 1 year from now may be totally different

just because Destiny and Division came out before Anthem it doesn't mean Anthem has to be perfect...is Division 2 going to be perfect?...it has made a ton of design choices that reflect todays gaming landscape- no loot boxes, only cosmetic microtransactions, great seamless co-op, easy to switch from co-op to single player, excellent customization, pretty stable etc

does Destiny have some amazing movie quality story?...all these loot shooters are not meant to have Oscar winning storylines...it's about the long term grind- better weapons, abilities, fashion etc...the Anthem story seems to have an interesting villain which alone makes it better then average...I also loved the villains in Mass Effect (Sovereign was way too cool with an amazing voice)...this is not classic KOTOR BioWare storytelling but I can see their DNA in the way the characters are written...I think people are being a bit too harsh with Anthem when every loot shooter has growing pains...the Anthem we see 1 year from now may be totally different

just because Destiny and Division came out before Anthem it doesn't mean Anthem has to be perfect...it has made a ton of improvements- no loot boxes, only cosmetic microtransactions, great seamless co-op, easy to switch from co-op to single player, excellent customization, pretty stable etc

Launch Destiny didn't have a great story, but it improved quite a bit over time.

Those games existing doesn't mean Anthem has to be perfect, but the game was in development for SEVEN YEARS. They had time to learn from the mistakes of other "games as a service" games. It is going to be, rightfully, judged based on games in the same genre that came before it and made similar mistakes. Destiny and Division were slammed, hard, for their issues and the developers of both had to work their asses off to fix it. Bioware needed to learn from their mistakes and not make the exact same mistakes and also find new ones to make that lead it being a worse experience than either of those games at launch. Growing pains is a shitty excuse for bad behavior. I want Anthem to get better and I think it can, but I refuse to excuse the abysmal state it was released in. Bioware and EA should be embarrassed by releasing Anthem the way it was.

Destiny and Division were slammed, hard, for their issues and the developers of both had to work their asses off to fix it. Bioware needed to learn from their mistakes and not make the exact same mistakes and also find new ones to make that lead it being a worse experience than either of those games at launch. Growing pains is a shitty excuse for bad behavior. I want Anthem to get better and I think it can, but I refuse to excuse the abysmal state it was released in. Bioware and EA should be embarrassed by releasing Anthem the way it was.

they didn't make the same mistakes...they made different ones...end-game content is something that is hard to crack in these loot shooters...it's something that needs to evolve...BioWare tried to differentiate itself by de-emphasizing gunplay and emphasizing traversal and jet packs...they also decided to not include pvp which had major repercussions as far as end game content...people need to relax and give the game more then 3 days...

does Destiny have some amazing movie quality story?...all these loot shooters are not meant to have Oscar winning storylines...it's about the long term grind- better weapons, abilities, fashion etc...the Anthem story seems to have an interesting villain which alone makes it better then average...I also loved the villains in Mass Effect (Sovereign was way too cool with an amazing voice...Reapers were great)...this is not classic KOTOR BioWare storytelling but I can see their DNA in the way the characters are written...I think people are being a bit too harsh with Anthem when every loot shooter has growing pains...the Anthem we see 1 year from now may be totally different

just because Destiny and Division came out before Anthem it doesn't mean Anthem has to be perfect...is Division 2 going to be perfect?...it has made a ton of design choices that reflect todays gaming landscape- no loot boxes, only cosmetic microtransactions, great seamless co-op, easy to switch from co-op to single player, excellent customization, pretty stable etc

So with your comment on the villain....Have you finished the story yet.......

So with your comment on the villain....Have you finished the story yet.......

no...I only just reached Lvl 10...the villain I'm referring to is called 'Monitor'...he was pretty bad-ass during my first encounter with him...had that Mass Effect Sovereign type of vibe...I don't think he's the main villain and is more of the lead henchman but I like him

they didn't make the same mistakes...they made different ones...end-game content is something that is hard to crack in these loot shooters...it's something that needs to evolve...BioWare tried to differentiate itself by de-emphasizing gunplay and emphasizing traversal and jet packs...they also decided to not include pvp which had major repercussions as far as end game content...people need to relax and give the game more then 3 days...

Lets just be clear here....there is literally no endgame in Anthem....none...zilch.....nada. And now we find out its going to be a couple of months it looks like before Cataclyms are in the game.

no...I only just reached Lvl 10...the villain I'm referring to is called 'Monitor'...he was pretty bad-ass during my first encounter with him...had that Mass Effect Sovereign type of vibe...I don't think he's the main villain and is more of the lead henchman but I like him

I'm gonna be blunt here...don't argue with us if you haven't finished at least the story yet. Once you do....you'll understand a lot of our frustrations.

I'm gonna be blunt here...don't argue with us if you haven't finished at least the story yet. Once you do....you'll understand a lot of our frustrations.

I think you're the only one in this thread who has finished the game...seems like most people have barely played it so far...of course the story could nosedive but my overall impressions of the game mechanics and structure will apply throughout...

I'm done with the game, and never looking back. I didn't need to finish the main story line to know everything I needed to know about the game once I hit the stupid tomb quest in the main story line that has players grinding, or the stronghold that wasn't that great, and didn't stand out much.

Further, there is zero reason to play through the entire main quest line knowing that there is basically no end game content. The end game content is literally just harder strongholds you've already played, and the 'new' stronghold is just the final mission.

By the time they actually get a little more content out the door in 6 months almost everyone will have moved on from this game.

Also the game doesn't even have PVP to keep players interested. Both Destiny and Division had PVP to keep people playing.

As I stated, even if they fix certain quality of life issues - The game has a severe lack of content and enemy diversity to keep me interested, and in 6 months I will have no motivation at all to come back.

BTW, I thought the game was worth playing too - Until I hit the tomb quest. Once you hit that quest you sit there thinking to yourself 'WTF was Bioware doing for 6 years'.

I also see this tomb quest getting axed from the game in the next patch when they see the amount of players that stopped playing as soon as they hit it. They'd be idiotic to keep it.

Last edited:

I never said Anthem or any game for that matter had to have a movie quality story, but it SHOULD have a story and characters people care about. The story in Destiny 2 is pretty good and the characters are awesome (especially Cayde 6) It doesn't help EA/Bioware any that Bioware is known for their storytelling in games and Anthem falls flat on its face in that regard. And I'll say this again because it doesn't seem to be sinking in. I didn't expect Anthem to be perfect, I did expect it to have as much substance to it that other games of the same genre that came before it. What we got was a step backward. Having the core gameplay you are fond of touting doesn't mean diddly if there is no substance to the game that makes you want to keep going back.

More power to you if you enjoy it, but I get the feeling that the majority are dissapointed. Sure it can probably be saved, but how much of their player base is going to wait around 3-6 months to see if that happens. Like I said, they HAVE to hit home runs with content updates, one bad content update will seal Anthems fate as an also ran.

I finished the game by Weds of last week and was having fun with the chase for loot until they adjusted it "back to were I should've been". I can't even bare to play with how bad they are now. My friends that were enjoying the game with me are moving on until they change it back. The story is pretty weak and stapled on like it was mid to a last minute thing. Game isn't so bad they can't fix it, it needs to just really need to make the drops better. The end game masterworks are pretty powerful. None of us have any legendaries so I can't say how much difference they provide.

Loot is utter garbage in this game at the high levels. At least with Destiny you get excited when a Unique drops.....because it looks awesome if nothing else......this game....literally the same shit model.

Blows my mind how different the game is vs the E3 reveal from a few years ago....its not even remotely the same game.

Blows my mind how different the game is vs the E3 reveal from a few years ago....its not even remotely the same game.

That's one of the reasons I suspect the game has been restarted a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if they rebuilt large portions of the game when Hudson came back. It somehow both feels like a game made in 2012 and also one that was rushed out the door in 12-18 months.

That's one of the reasons I suspect the game has been restarted a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if they rebuilt large portions of the game when Hudson came back. It somehow both feels like a game made in 2012 and also one that was rushed out the door in 12-18 months.

Ya. It had to be...its so devoid of actual content it blows my mind. There is some really really great directions they could go, and they really sucked me in with the General Tarsis stuff with the Fort and unlocking of the relics and stuff....but then it fell completely flat on its face.

Playing solo missions on hard seems to be a waste of time. Anything with a shield is just a bullet sponge you have to avoid until you charge up your super. Lots and lots of running around waiting for abilities to charge up and ammo to drop. You take tons of damage and enemies are all apparently marksmen. All for a pretty minor XP boost.

Normal might as well be very easy and hard borderline requires a group. I wish things scaled better for solo play.

Playing solo missions on hard seems to be a waste of time. Anything with a shield is just a bullet sponge you have to avoid until you charge up your super. Lots and lots of running around waiting for abilities to charge up and ammo to drop. You take tons of damage and enemies are all apparently marksmen. All for a pretty minor XP boost.

Normal might as well be very easy and hard borderline requires a group. I wish things scaled better for solo play.

very very dependent on gear. I can solo GM1 pretty easy at this point as long as I don't wade completely out into the open. Just need to use the right skills to burn shields and then do dmg.

Does identical bonus types stack or is only the higher value used?

Does identical bonus types stack or is only the higher value used?
Bonuses stack even if they are dups, what you have to look out for is if there is a gear(only when this weapon is being used) or full body icon (this stat is for this hole load out no matter if its no currently used).

People should try naming their videos "An honest take on Anthem" and making them say...5 minutes. I'm not watching an hour of "Angry Anthem Rant." Who the hell has time for that? You told me everything right in the title.

People should try naming their videos "An honest take on Anthem" and making them say...5 minutes. I'm not watching an hour of "Angry Anthem Rant." Who the hell has time for that? You told me everything right in the title.

Its worth a watch because Joe is 100% on point with everything he said. Honestly I'm probably done with the game till May, the content road map looks like shit till then, I don't care about reskinned at best......or in reality just renamed enemies to fill the void till then.

are cosmetic upgrades like Vinyls, cloth etc not available via loot drops or as mission completion rewards?...the only way to get them is buying them through the in-game store?...so I should spend my in-game coin on crafting materials and cosmetics etc or should I keep as much coin as possible for endgame stuff?

So for anyone who has played this as well as Warframe, where is this game better? I like Warframe quite a bit, but I would like a break from playing what feels like 5 or 6 different maps ad nauseum.

So for anyone who has played this as well as Warframe, where is this game better?

Graphics, and the flying mechanics. It's fairly shallow otherwise.

Would have been fine if Anthem was also free to play, but it's not.

There is no way this game will have a decent player base sticking around until May, and that's only for a marginal gameplay addition.

Last edited:
are cosmetic upgrades like Vinyls, cloth etc not available via loot drops or as mission completion rewards?...the only way to get them is buying them through the in-game store?...so I should spend my in-game coin on crafting materials and cosmetics etc or should I keep as much coin as possible for endgame stuff?

Supposedly they are going to add "special" cosmetics to drops for finishing Strongholds at some point soon. Other than that, I would only waste the coin on Masterwork materials....and even then its so hideously expensive(5000 coin per 1 resource) its not worth it. I wouldn't waste coin on any of the crafting materials.

Back