BioWare's new IP: Anthem

man, im so disapointed my pc died this week. I was super excited to see what it looked on my rig, will have to settle for the ps4 version for now lol

sniper rifle was great when I playing Storm...took down those giant gorilla type creatures pretty easily compared to other weapons...but I was using upgraded versions of all my weapons so that probably helped as well

Sniping was pointless as it takes 3 hits for super weak enemies. I was shooting these spider crab things and it took 9 shots (3x reloads) to put one of those down. Everything is too bullet spongy for sniper rifles to feel remotely satisfying. In fact, I still maintain most of the weapons aren't satisfying to use. Not just because of the bullet sponge effect, but because the audio and visuals of the weapon impacts just aren't there to add that extra oomph to make those weapons feel right.
Dan, I don't really disagree with you. I don't have the data to determine the differences of hit points between the difficulty levels either. I did, however, come across one Sniper Rifle that was delivering massive amounts of damage with single shots. It was like a rating 16 weapon or something, while I was playing. It would instantly kill a couple of the lower tier guys if you dome shot them. However, yeah, I would switch to assault rifle or arm rocket / grenades for the spider crab things because they ate a stupid amount of firepower. Assault rifles that balanced rate of fire and damage seemed to be pretty much my go to weapon. Ammo is scarce in the game, you have to hope you get drops all the time. I kept running out of ammo... I think the random loot really sucks harder than, say, if they had some well defined weapon types people would strive to get (like the ones in Mass Effect) and not being able to upgrade the guns either just makes them all toss away garbage in the long run.

I'm pretty certain that you're limited to three reloads per weapon type.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Unlike Destiny and games like it Anthem is not 100% gun centric.

Abilities and combos is where it's at.

Standing around shooting gets you out of ammo and dead in a hurry.

This game will disappoint people who are looking for a straight up shooter.

I'm not looking for a straight up shooter, however, if it's always all about combos it's destined to be yet another Andromeda scenario where the game has one, singular way to do damage and there's no point in even having firearms in the damn thing. If you look at the "Space Wizard" that class basically doesn't even need guns. Combos are cool, I was just hoping for something more Mass Effect 3 ish. Where combos rock, but your weapons rock too. That's not looking like the case here. Gunplay seems to be marginalized in favor of powers. The Ranger (before the unlocks) is what I spent most of my time in, while you can get combos it takes some doing. We will see what they do with the overall balance in time.

What happened to the PC?
either my cpu is failing or my mobo is, it suddenly froze and now on reboot I get a bsod with the error "whea unexpected error" which is a serious hardware fault. Did a full system troubleshooting and its narrowed down to the cpu and mobo as I have been able to eliminate everything else :( Saving up money to buy a new cpu/mobo/ram which will be nice but till I have the money no PC gaming for me lol. Was gaming on a 4670k @ 4.5ghz, going to be buying a 9600k now.

that's what I love about Anthem...abilities, jetpacks and gorgeous environment

either my cpu is failing or my mobo is, it suddenly froze and now on reboot I get a bsod with the error "whea unexpected error" which is a serious hardware fault. Did a full system troubleshooting and its narrowed down to the cpu and mobo as I have been able to eliminate everything else :( Saving up money to buy a new cpu/mobo/ram which will be nice but till I have the money no PC gaming for me lol. Was gaming on a 4670k @ 4.5ghz, going to be buying a 9600k now.
I've had really good luck with the 9600K. Everything runs fast and amazing on it. Everything I use at at least.

My main board and processor specs are listed in my signature. That Gigabyte board is right around 100 bucks and I really have no complaints. Picked up the 9600k off Walmart . Com for 242 right when it come out.

OC ... Don't try to go past 5 GHz on it, it will throw fits. I did the entire manual OC and then just got fed up and enabled the onboard 8700K OC profile for 5GHz and never looked back. Totally stable for weeks now. Runs relatively cool too.

I'm playing Anthem at 4K max settings with close to 60FPS.

How long before you can upgrade do you think?

FYI I'm on my third motherboard with my 4790. First 2 z97 formulas bugged out over time, this go around my SSD bit the dust and I replaced the rig in my front room. Destined for the bedroom ATM if I ever get off my ass in my den and rebuild it.

Last edited:
I've had really good luck with the 9600K. Everything runs fast and amazing on it. Everything I use at at least.

My main board and processor specs are listed in my signature. That Gigabyte board is right around 100 bucks and I really have no complaints. Picked up the 9600k off Walmart . Com for 242 right when it come out.

OC ... Don't try to go past 5 GHz on it, it will throw fits. I did the entire manual OC and then just got fed up and enabled the onboard 8700K OC profile for 5GHz and never looked back. Totally stable for weeks now. Runs relatively cool too.

I'm playing Anthem at 4K max settings with close to 60FPS.

How long before you can upgrade do you think?

FYI I'm on my third motherboard with my 4790. First 2 z97 formulas bugged out over time, this go around my SSD bit the dust and I replaced the rig in my front room. Destined for the bedroom ATM if I ever get off my ass in my den and rebuild it.
at this rate about a month, I can free up $400 a check (CAD lol) and need $800 to buy the new parts. I'm aiming for the gigabyte z390 aorus pro, hoping with the good vrm power distribution and my custom wc loop I can push atleast 5.2 or higher.

How does this game run on lower hardware for everyone else? My wifes office computer is an amd a-6 ( i think), equivalent to an I5-2500k with a amd 290 gpu and im wondering how the game will play on that @ 1080p lol

well they seemed to have fixed the infinite loading bug from last weekend...5 minutes back in the game and I'm in love with it all over again...

I'm not looking for a straight up shooter, however, if it's always all about combos it's destined to be yet another Andromeda scenario where the game has one, singular way to do damage and there's no point in even having firearms in the damn thing. If you look at the "Space Wizard" that class basically doesn't even need guns. Combos are cool, I was just hoping for something more Mass Effect 3 ish. Where combos rock, but your weapons rock too. That's not looking like the case here. Gunplay seems to be marginalized in favor of powers. The Ranger (before the unlocks) is what I spent most of my time in, while you can get combos it takes some doing. We will see what they do with the overall balance in time.

My thoughts exactly.

Dan, I don't really disagree with you. I don't have the data to determine the differences of hit points between the difficulty levels either. I did, however, come across one Sniper Rifle that was delivering massive amounts of damage with single shots. It was like a rating 16 weapon or something, while I was playing. It would instantly kill a couple of the lower tier guys if you dome shot them. However, yeah, I would switch to assault rifle or arm rocket / grenades for the spider crab things because they ate a stupid amount of firepower. Assault rifles that balanced rate of fire and damage seemed to be pretty much my go to weapon. Ammo is scarce in the game, you have to hope you get drops all the time. I kept running out of ammo... I think the random loot really sucks harder than, say, if they had some well defined weapon types people would strive to get (like the ones in Mass Effect) and not being able to upgrade the guns either just makes them all toss away garbage in the long run.

I'm pretty certain that you're limited to three reloads per weapon type.

I may have gotten a different and shittier weapon. I was only level 12 I think.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
My thoughts exactly.

I may have gotten a different and shittier weapon. I was only level 12 I think.
The initial sniper weapons were utter trash. I picked up one to that was pretty cool with a 3 round burst I liked a lot but it barely had better range than the assault rifle. In my last hour of play I found this single shot monster that was doing something like 160+ damage , low ammo... And a range so long that if you backed up enough the enemies would disappear from the field of vision.... So...why do they even have sniper rifles to begin with? Lol

they added some weather effects which is causing some animation loading issues for me...plus the rain just looks bad...since I finished all the Missions last weekend and they saved your progress there's nothing for me to do except roam around in Freeplay...I'm also messing with the javelin customizations as far as color/fabric etc...some really nice options to get your javelin looking really cool...I'll also try out the javelins I know I'm not really going to use much in the main game- Interceptor and Hunter

Game is feeling a lot buggier now. Getting a lot more freezes and crashes.

game definitely feels worse then last weekend...I haven't gotten any crashes but I'm getting animation bugs and overall it feels less polished

game definitely feels worse then last weekend...I haven't gotten any crashes but I'm getting animation bugs and overall it feels less polished
Well, supposedly the demo is not the "finished product" and we need to beat them with our responses so the release game isn't a huge turd. I will find out in short order when I get home. Just hoping I don't get hammered with IT support calls tonight (on Helpdesk Support until next Thursday). I want to push the demo to it's limits this weekend and then write up a new "hate list" lol ;)

I still don't get how they thought using a old build for the demo was a "great" idea. Game is still fun....and the shitbag team mates aren't helping with flying around doing dumb crap instead of turning in echo's they've got on them.

I still don't get how they thought using a old build for the demo was a "great" idea. Game is still fun....and the shitbag team mates aren't helping with flying around doing dumb crap instead of turning in echo's they've got on them.

it's a Demo, doing dumb crap is highly advisable

Well, supposedly the demo is not the "finished product" and we need to beat them with our responses so the release game isn't a huge turd. I will find out in short order when I get home. Just hoping I don't get hammered with IT support calls tonight (on Helpdesk Support until next Thursday). I want to push the demo to it's limits this weekend and then write up a new "hate list" lol ;)

I still love the game and am going to buy...I'm only going to be able to play today and tomorrow as Sunday is the Super Bowl so no Anthem for me on that day

Game is still fun....and the shitbag team mates aren't helping with flying around doing dumb crap instead of turning in echo's they've got on them.

yeah when you get a team that doesn't know what they're doing it sort of takes a bit of the fun out of the mission...I just had 2 Quickplay Stronghold missions where I had to exit out because no one knew where to go and what to do

And then there's the good games. 4x Storm game earlier.....we pretty much ran a train on that big bug.

what exactly does choosing Quickplay do?...I tried it and I don't get the difference between choosing Quickplay versus just choosing a 'normal' mission and getting 3 random players...anyone know what exactly Quickplay does different?

Anthem lead producer details changes coming to PC controls

Lead producer Ben Irving ran down some of the changes in the aiming and flight controls that BioWare is working on...

I started running the game in 4k on a 32" LG Monitor and i looks so damn good I don't care that I get 30-40fps haha

Really really nice.

they added some weather effects which is causing some animation loading issues for me...plus the rain just looks bad...since I finished all the Missions last weekend and they saved your progress there's nothing for me to do except roam around in Freeplay...I'm also messing with the javelin customizations as far as color/fabric etc...some really nice options to get your javelin looking really cool...I'll also try out the javelins I know I'm not really going to use much in the main game- Interceptor and Hunter
I have to agree, the weather effects are complete garbage. I just stumbled into a dungeon solo and killed everything by myself because the AI is stupid and I was able to use walls and one U shaped turn in particular to get the AI to become stupid and stand there while I eviscerated several "Legendary" enemies with grenades and my trusty arm rocket. Emptied all but 70 shots of my assault rifle into them to kill them all. Not looking like much of a challenge, other than keep moving and use your freebie powers and then pour ammo into unarmored foes (or shooting around the armor). Unfortunately, I exited rather hastily when my girlfriend called... I did the exit from solo play and the game promptly crashed. Likely didn't get any of the good loot.

Do wish that you had a better means of flying to points on the map, You have to keep referring to your map all the time and twisting your avatar to get the arrow in the right damn direction. It's annoying and destroys immersion. OK game overall, AI is dumb as all hell.

I have to agree, the weather effects are complete garbage. I just stumbled into a dungeon solo and killed everything by myself because the AI is stupid and I was able to use walls and one U shaped turn in particular to get the AI to become stupid and stand there while I eviscerated several "Legendary" enemies with grenades and my trusty arm rocket. Emptied all but 70 shots of my assault rifle into them to kill them all. Not looking like much of a challenge, other than keep moving and use your freebie powers and then pour ammo into unarmored foes (or shooting around the armor). Unfortunately, I exited rather hastily when my girlfriend called... I did the exit from solo play and the game promptly crashed. Likely didn't get any of the good loot.

Do wish that you had a better means of flying to points on the map, You have to keep referring to your map all the time and twisting your avatar to get the arrow in the right damn direction. It's annoying and destroys immersion. OK game overall, AI is dumb as all hell.

another thing that is annoying is that when you pick up loot it doesn't tell you what specific items you collected...it just says you picked up a 'Rare' piece or something like that...you need to go back to that Fort area to view your new loot...bad design decision

another thing that is annoying is that when you pick up loot it doesn't tell you what specific items you collected...it just says you picked up a 'Rare' piece or something like that...you need to go back to that Fort area to view your new loot...bad design decision
Yeah, that forces you to go back to fort Tarsis to swap out your gear. It kind of sucks, but I can live with that... I am starting to think I shouldn't have pre-ordered the game. However, my justification was if this one doesn't sell we will never see another Mass Effect game again.

Honestly, AI in Mass Effect was better. Yeah, I know, the maps are expansive however the enemies are locked in their location occurrences so I see no reason why they have no idea how to maneuver their own terrain. It is a bit annoying to see those big shield Scar guys jump up on top of a building to get to me, not sure how that's even possible, but the AI follows you blindly with no actual intelligence. They all might be laser beam accurate but if you move, they don't hit. I never even dodged in the dungeon battle. I was massively outnumbered and they had some uber abilities but you just move out of them. The Shield Scar are better at blocking frontal shots compared to the last demo but still can't protect anything that sticks out of their shield. I don't know... I'm just kind of like... Meh... I figured out what the red flashes were in the rain storms, they're either an endless stream of leaves or when you encounter it inside, they're bugs. Totally annoying, nothing that should even phase someone in power armor, it's not even beautiful, it looks crappy. I don't know, I will play more later. However, if I'm not having issues killing everything with a Ranger then I'm guessing the rest of the game isn't hard.

Last edited:
I also hate how it alters my desktop color scheme every time I exit the game. I just jumped back in to find out that I had lost all the loot I got in the last play through. It's buggy as hell. I will mess with it more much later.

I also hate how it alters my desktop color scheme every time I exit the game. I just jumped back in to find out that I had lost all the loot I got in the last play through. It's buggy as hell. I will mess with it more much later.
Disappointing to hear, was really hoping this was going to be a good PC game to replace destiny 2, hope they can fix the ai issues since it sounds way to easy to cheese.

the game has its flaws but I still like it a lot...I'm normally not into multiplayer co-op loot games but this one has gotten my attention...maybe because it's not the same as Destiny or Division etc is what appeals to me...there's potential and I have a feeling it's going to get much better after a few months...the main thing I'm worried about is the amount of content at launch...only 3 Strongholds, Contracts, Main story missions and Freeplay doesn't sound like a lot

I predict this game will fail hard. The gameplay is uninspiring, AI is seemingly retarded, the flying mechanics suck, the plot seems generic, gun play lacks impact and the graphical effects are so cluttered that they obscure gameplay. And sprinkled into this shit pile is the usual EA glitchiness and some wokeness to boot.

Last edited:
Played the demo for a couple hours just to see if anything changed but it all felt just as boring again. There's some nice eye candy like the Combos but get old once you've seen several of them and most people are either noobs with no clue what to do or know it all already and try to rambo expeditions.

The one thing I really wanted to check and saw they haven't fixed is exploits/abuse of the matchmaking system. The system allows you to join a mission at ANY progress point so you can end up joining at the very end when the final objective has been cleared and you get the full XP for the run lol. So you can just chain join missions of the highest difficulty you've unlocked while being totally undergeared and useless to the rest of the team and if you join near the end you leech more XP than doing a full mission at a difficulty level appropriate for your javelin's power.

Last edited:
The one thing I really wanted to check and saw they haven't fixed is exploits/abuse of the matchmaking system from the alpha. The system allows you to join a mission at ANY progress point so you can end up joining at the very end when the final objective has been cleared and you get the full XP for the run lol. So you can just chain join missions of the highest difficulty you've unlocked while being totally undergeared and useless to the rest of the team and if you join near the end you leech more XP than doing a full mission at a difficulty level appropriate for your javelin's power.

but there's no way of knowing beforehand what point in the mission you would be joining in

Disappointing to hear, was really hoping this was going to be a good PC game to replace destiny 2, hope they can fix the ai issues since it sounds way to easy to cheese.
I'm there with you buddy. I will play it so long as they have in game comms like me mp. I think the most fun I ever had was bullshitting with friends I'd never met. If you and I have to jump on together and make our own fun, we will.

Back