BioWare's new IP: Anthem

What does key mapping have to do with it controlling like ass? Turning feels both too sensitive and not sensitive enough at random points. There are times when making big sweeping moves with the mouse would lead to the character barely turning and others when trying to make smaller moves seemed to send the character off in a completely different direction. There is no consistency to the feel of flight, it seems to lack any real level of control.

This was my experience as well.

I think I'm going to wait till launch then grab 1 month of origin premier and get a good month out of it. Either I'll love it and buy it/switch to a 1 year sub or I won't like it at all and I'm only out $15

more screenies with my Storm javelin...feels like a combination of Iron Man and Doctor Strange...screenshots don't do the game justice though, you really need to see the game in action...

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm an Origin Premier member so I think I'll give this a try. The alpha was ok, but I hope this demo is better.

The town you walk around in runs very poorly and you have one movement speed: Slow as fuck.

This annoys me to no end. It is mind numbingly slow walking around the starting area. I cant comment on much of anything else as that is all I have been able to access. WHEN I can get connected I get froze up at the loading screen to start actually playing. I'm not going to spend time waiting around or force closing the game and relaunchng hoping it lets me pick up where I left off. From comments here and other places I'm not missing much, flying seems to be the only + for this game and I certainly wont drop $60 for flying, maybe $15 for a month of Origin access. I already have a bad taste in my mouth for this game, this close to launch and the "demo" they are rolling out is an older build that has serious issues.

This annoys me to no end. It is mind numbingly slow walking around the starting area. I cant comment on much of anything else as that is all I have been able to access. WHEN I can get connected I get froze up at the loading screen to start actually playing. I'm not going to spend time waiting around or force closing the game and relaunchng hoping it lets me pick up where I left off. From comments here and other places I'm not missing much, flying seems to be the only + for this game and I certainly wont drop $60 for flying, maybe $15 for a month of Origin access. I already have a bad taste in my mouth for this game, this close to launch and the "demo" they are rolling out is an older build that has serious issues.

yeah the hub area sucks...the slow walk through that area is very annoying...especially when you contrast that with the outdoor environments where everything is much quicker

I'm an avid PC gamer (haven't owned a console since the PS2) and I just don't see the problem with using a controller on a game like this. Its much more casual and less focused on precision gunplay than the other similar game I play (Destiny 2). I enjoy the flight mechanics and smoothness playing this with a controller. Not to mention reclining at my desk for once :-P

that Tyrant Mine mission is terrible because of that underwater swimming part...how the hell do you navigate through that?...the suit controls terribly underwater and it's pitch black with no map marker telling you where to go

Is anyone else having the issue where the game only runs in their native res? I have a 4k monitor, but i'm trying to run it at 1080 for FPS. The game is set for 1080, but it's still running in 4k. The monitor isn't even going black like it does when it changes resolution.

Is anyone else having the issue where the game only runs in their native res? I have a 4k monitor, but i'm trying to run it at 1080 for FPS. The game is set for 1080, but it's still running in 4k. The monitor isn't even going black like it does when it changes resolution.

I don't run things at non-native resolution, so no. It wasn't an issue. :D

that Tyrant Mine mission is terrible because of that underwater swimming part...how the hell do you navigate through that?...the suit controls terribly underwater and it's pitch black with no map marker telling you where to go

figured it out...I went into the settings and changed the 3 swimming mouse sensitivity options to 0...so for normal traversal I raised all the Mouse sensitivity options to 100 but when swimming those 3 need to be at 0

Last edited:
figured it out...I went into the settings and changed the 3 swimming mouse sensitivity options to 0...so for normal traversal I raised all the Mouse sensitivity options to 100 but when swimming those 3 need to be at 0

Yuck. That is a mess. A player shouldn't have to fiddle with mouse sensitivity like that to even make something playable. Playing with those settings in order to dial in exactly how the player likes the mouse to feel is one thing but it being required is very bad. Hopefully they actually did unfuck the kb+m controls for the final game or this is going to get roasted by the pc community.

Yuck. That is a mess. A player shouldn't have to fiddle with mouse sensitivity like that to even make something playable. Playing with those settings in order to dial in exactly how the player likes the mouse to feel is one thing but it being required is very bad. Hopefully they actually did unfuck the kb+m controls for the final game or this is going to get roasted by the pc community.

I don't know if it's required...for me that's the ideal setting but other people, they may have different dpi mouse that react differently...but it's not that big of a deal as it's the same as going into your graphics settings and adjusting the settings...you do it once and forget about it...the infinite loading screen bug is a mess that needs to be fixed immediately...having to launch the game twice each time I want to play sucks...doesn't help that the normal loading screens are also a bit long

Dev stream from a week or so ago confirms that PC flight has been improved in the new builds (he's obviously playing an updated version since he has squad member radars next to their names).

even playing on Normal the missions can get tough as the enemies are bullet sponges and they swarm you from all directions with missiles, bullets etc

you need to set it to Fullscreen Mode...playing in Borderless mode makes the game play at your monitor resolution

Well after an hour of restarting and loading into the hub area only to get stuck in infinite load screens, I'm officially giving up. Precisely zero play time so far.
I'm pretty sure the shitty Atlas launch went better than this... :p

Well after an hour of restarting and loading into the hub area only to get stuck in infinite load screens, I'm officially giving up. Precisely zero play time so far.

What ISP do you have:

This has been myexperience as well, zero actual play time

I really only had issues on the first day. The rest of the time, I've only encountered minor bugs. I did crash once, but when logged back in, I was able to rejoin my party and finish the dungeon.

I really only had issues on the first day. The rest of the time, I've only encountered minor bugs. I did crash once, but when logged back in, I was able to rejoin my party and finish the dungeon.

I had cases where the weapon effects would stop and the character would continue the firing animations and health bars would continue to drop. I've seen animation stop on enemies, and things like that. I encountered quite a few bugs like that with the demo.

I feel like the four Javelins should have been unlocked for the demo from the start, to allow players to get a feel for the different play-styles. Instead they went with the "ok, start grinding!" approach for some reason, which isn't a great way to sell players on your product when it's only on display for 48 hours at a time.

So far my gripes with the game are;
  • The hub area feels like it moves at a snails pace, and I'm uncertain if any of the NPCs are going to be engaging.
  • Combat begins to feel repetitive quickly, along with most of the optional content. This doesn't feel like Witcher 3 quality side-questing.
  • The social aspects and the menus in general feel very, VERY unintuitive.
  • No real cover/squad system, it's all about your gear.

Pluses are:
  • The flight control is great with a controller and feels very satisfying, even though I really want to use M&KB for fighting.
  • The game is gorgeous, and customizing your Javelin is fun.

AnthemDemo%202019-01-26%2020-27-02-80.png

AnthemDemo%202019-01-26%2021-45-08-16.png

AnthemDemo%202019-01-27%2012-22-28-25.png

AnthemDemo%202019-01-27%2012-24-48-36.png

AnthemDemo%202019-01-27%2012-27-24-43.png

AnthemDemo%202019-01-27%2012-59-31-90.png

I feel like the four Javelins should have been unlocked for the demo from the start, to allow players to get a feel for the different play-styles. Instead they went with the "ok, start grinding!" approach for some reason, which isn't a great way to sell players on your product when it's only on display for 48 hours at a time

The game is gorgeous, and customizing your Javelin is fun

I agree that all 4 should have been unlocked for the beta...the 2nd javelin unlocks at Level 12 but no more unlocks after that...and you can't even start a New Game to try the other ones...luckily there's another Open beta next weekend which will give people who were in this closed beta an opportunity to try another javelin...I also agree that there are tons of customization options...the endgame is fashion Anthem :D

EA/BioWare unlocked all javelins so you can now try them all during these last few hours of the beta...

Sigh nothing like wasting a couple of hours and it crashing at the very end of the boss. How did they fuck this up so bad.

"This is why BioWare invited Anna Sarkisian for her "stamp of approval.""

I've pretty much decided I'm not going to have anything to do with games that feel they need to appease SJW's. The fact that Bioware felt the need to invite Anita Sarkeesian to visit the Anthem team was a huge red flag to me, and the fact that it happened at all is enough for me to not buy their game, whether she ultimately had any significant influence or not.

and the VIP demo weekend is officially over...servers shut down at 9:00 PM EST (6:00 PM PST)

I played a few hours of it. Some of the mechanics are fun such as the flying and the ultimates, but the rest felt generic and some of it even clunky. The graphics overall look really good, but there were a few spots where the visuals looked a bit underdeveloped. It's not a bad game, but I don't think it'll live up to the hype of the masses. Based on the demo and ignoring most of the bugs since its not a final build, I would give the game a solid 7/10. I don't expect to see much of a change with the final game other than obvious bug fixes. But maybe there will be some additional content that may make things more interesting.

the $5 a month Origin Access service sounds like a great deal for people on the fence about the game...you only pay $5 a month and get access to the full game...only catch is that you lose the game if you cancel...$5 a month means it'll take 1 year to catch up to $60...or pay $5 and play all you want for a month or 2 and if you lose interest or EA/BioWare screws things up you can cancel and are only down ~$10...or use it as a demo for a few months to decide if you like it

The $5 level actually limits you to 10 hours of Anthem. You have to do the $15 membership to play all you want.

The $5 level actually limits you to 10 hours of Anthem. You have to do the $15 membership to play all you want.

I thought the 10 hour limit only applied to the Early Access portion?...I thought once the full game came out that it gave you full access?

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/origin-access

EDIT: you're right...you need the $15 plan to get the full game...not as great of a deal at $15...the way they worded it on the official Origin Access page was confusing

Last edited:
Watching new videos this game does have me interested. Few questions please:

- Are there guilds or clans to join ?
- Is grouping up and chat easier and better than Destiny 2 ?
- Is there a group finder dungeon thing like WoW for quick way to get players to join up together ?
- Is this an MMO type world ? Like WoW with thousands of players ? Or more hollow and empty like Destiny 2
- Can you CoOp play together ? Unlike Destiny 2 which really doesn't have an easy way to find and invite a friend to your group
  • There will be in the retail game, as far as I know.
  • The social hub wasn't in the demo, but it should be a little easier in the retail game than Destiny 2. Still only voice chat available, but I think it is enabled by default unlike Destiny. I was having issues trying to talk to my friend with the in-game voice comms in the demo, but that may have been due to the server issues. I ended up just talking with him over Skype.
  • There is matchmaking, and it is setup to match item level and difficulty as far as I can tell. Actual player level seemed to be secondary.
  • No, the world is similar to Destiny. I don't know how many players can be in one instanced world, yet. I ran into like 8 different people while I was playing solo in freeplay.
  • Yes. There is a screen you have to interact with where you setup the mission you want to do, and on one of the tabs is a place where you can search for people and invite friends before launching the mission. And again, there is matchmaking available. The overall difficulty was increased in the demo compared to the alpha, and it feels like it is balanced for a full group of 4. In which case I think public matchmaking would be the best way to play if you can't get a group together.
What does key mapping have to do with it controlling like ass? Turning feels both too sensitive and not sensitive enough at random points. There are times when making big sweeping moves with the mouse would lead to the character barely turning and others when trying to make smaller moves seemed to send the character off in a completely different direction. There is no consistency to the feel of flight, it seems to lack any real level of control.
The way I did it if I wanted to make any kind of turn, vertical or horizontal, was to hit the hover button first and then turn before flying forward again. Hover was mapped to one of the thumb buttons on my mouse by default. This was really handy in the underwater sections of the mine since, for whatever reason, the devs decided to implement auto centering with the mouse in this area. To be honest, though, I didn't spend a lot of time configuring the game this time around.

I thought the 10 hour limit only applied to the Early Access portion?...I thought once the full game came out that it gave you full access?

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/origin-access

EDIT: you're right...you need the $15 plan to get the full game...not as great of a deal at $15...the way they worded it on the official Origin Access page was confusing

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Access/Anthem-on-origin-access/td-p/7033730

Edit: oops, didn't see your edit.

I normally prefer single player games much more then these co-op MMO ones...but the rare ones I do like everyone else seems to hate :D...I loved that asymmetrical 4v1 shooter, Evolve, but that died out (I have close to 1000 hours playing it)...and now I love Anthem...probably a bad sign...Destiny 2 was fun but I didn't like the focus on gunplay...Anthem's flying mechanics plus focus on abilities is more appealing to me

Back