BioWare's Anthem Gameplay Trailer

monkeymagick

[H]News
Yesterday, BioWare teased us a bit about their new IP Anthem. They recently showcased the game in Microsoft's E3 2017 Briefing not too long ago. Looking like a cross between Destiny, Mass Effect and even Halo. This seems like the natural progression for BioWare with Mass Effect 3 straying far away from most of the original's RPG-elements. Set in the future, the open-world shooter that lets you ride around in jetpacks. The game just looks friggin' awesome. I'm thorougly hyped.

Check out the gameplay below.

In Anthem, a new shared-world action-RPG from EA's BioWare studio, team up with friends as Freelancers - the bold few with the courage to leave civilization behind and explore a landscape of primeval beauty.

Looks nice so far, still going to need a beta or some reviews b4 jumping in.

I like it, looks awesome. It sort of reminded me of the last tomb raider game.

Beautiful.

Why is it they always show console footage when revealing a game? It was dead obvious they were using thumbsticks when aiming at targets. You'd think if PC were the best platform, they'd show that.

It looked really cool. It reminded me of some of the best parts of Destiny crossed with something like Monster Hunter. There seems to be some promise there, but we'll see when more of the game is actually shown off.

Looks great, probably all scripted, and as usual the totally-real banter from the players is incredibly cringey. Smells like Destiny all over again.

Yar, true. I remember being super excited for that initial Destiny reveal then - well, we all know how that played out.

I'm going into this optimistic but will wait for reviews to come out instead of trusting the developer name.

Yar, true. I remember being super excited for that initial Destiny reveal then - well, we all know how that played out.

I'm going into this optimistic but will wait for reviews to come out instead of trusting the developer name.

Its a pity Destiny launched in the state it did. Destiny now is such a different game from Destiny at launch.

Beautiful.

Why is it they always show console footage when revealing a game? It was dead obvious they were using thumbsticks when aiming at targets. You'd think if PC were the best platform, they'd show that.
Because E3 is ultimately a console show. And PC gaming doesn't really have a big commercial benefactor like a Microsoft or Sony paying publishers a bunch of money to show a game during their pissing contest console presentation.

You'd *think* Microsoft would take a little more ownership in windows as a gaming platform, but E3 always shows their true colors with the all-Xbox crap.

Last edited:
They gave Mass Effect to their C team for THIS???

My thought exactly. Christ. If they would've put all of their development behind ME:A, i'm sure it wouldn't have been such a shit storm and then put on ice because...

Fuck.

It's just harder and harder to be satisfied with games these days. The whole "We'll be able to fix it later" mantra doesn't fix the horrible and downright putrid game experience at launch and then sets the tone down the road. Not all large games are like this. No. Definitely not. But it's much easier to find really hyped and beautiful trailers for games - then to come to find out the game is another Destiny or another Division, Mass Effect, Simcity, Command and Conquer, Sonic (Pick any 3D game).

As more and more games gets released this way, I find it harder and harder to even look forward to new "AAA" titles anymore. The older and older I get I find it harder to enjoy what I used to hold dear to my heart.

It seems like the only system that doesn't seem to get as much liquid ass on it is the only one that doesn't get as much support. *shudders* Fuck you, Nintendo.

Last edited:
YES. That's the trailer I was thinking of with the scripted squad banter.

Yeah I made a post over at the Gaming sub forum earlier. The entire time they were talking and introducing new players and going into "random combat situations" felt entirely like the Division E3 demo.

My thought exactly. Christ. If they would've put all of their development behind ME:A, i'm sure it wouldn't have been such a shit storm and then put on ice because...

Fuck.

It's just harder and harder to be satisfied with games these days. The whole "We'll be able to fix it later" mantra doesn't fix the horrible and downright putrid game experience at launch and then sets the tone down the road.

ME: A wasn't just a problem with it being the B/C team. It was bad management from the top down, an engine that is crap and hard to develop on, issues figuring out exactly what they wanted to do, staff leaving, teams being drastically understaffed, and so on. The A team wouldn't have done much better in those situations.

ME: A wasn't just a problem with it being the B/C team. It was bad management from the top down, an engine that is crap and hard to develop on, issues figuring out exactly what they wanted to do, staff leaving, teams being drastically understaffed, and so on. The A team wouldn't have done much better in those situations.

I'm sure if you had given the A team (and the A team management), it wouldn't have seen the problems that were well documented with the game. Yes, It wasn't just one thing that led to it's demise. It was multiple problems that just ended up in a bad gaming experience. Those that leave a gaming studio, especially a well known team like "Bioware" probably didn't do so lightly. I'm sure they got to their last straws and tried to put up with the BS. I'm sure it really did get run through the sewers even more than we can imagine. Game Development (from my friends), it's a labor of love. No one, truly, leaves easily.

Working with the best team, the game probably could've been brought on track sooner. Lead to less problems (not all of them gone - Frostbite).

Yeah I made a post over at the Gaming sub forum earlier. The entire time they were talking and introducing new players and going into "random combat situations" felt entirely like the Division E3 demo.

And the game ended up not being really close to what they showed. It was fun....for the first 30 levels and had loads of potential, but after the SP campaign, it fell flat and was/is riddled with hackers & aimbot clones.

I'm sure if you had given the A team (and the A team management), it wouldn't have seen the problems that were well documented with the game. Yes, It wasn't just one thing that led to it's demise. I'm sure that those that left didn't leave light-hearted. I'm sure it really did get run through the sewers. Game Development (from my friends), it's a labor of love.

The people in charge of the Edmenton team are also new. Almost all of the old guard at Bioware jumped ship in the last five years. It was bad enough that they needed to put a lead writer in charge of the entire project to get it back on track. Some things would have been better, like the writing probably would have had longer than 18 months, but I rather doubt the game would have ended up much better.

Saw the trailer twice already. I see it as heroes dressed up in armor suits with weapon arsenals that came right out of Starsiege TRIBES in an open world that is by its design feels like a cross between Horizon: Zero Dawn and Destiny. Is the cross good? Time will tell. But just as a first look it's all too familiar, too closely based off of IP's already out in the world or in the developer's hangar. For EA to call this "original" is their usual ridiculous marketing spin. In the words of the late George Harrison at the end of the episode of The Simpsons featuring Homer's old barbershop quartet The B-Sharps: "It's been done." Out!

"Look at this cool monster...we're not gonna fight it...Look at this cool place, we're nkt gonna go there...Look at this generic shooting, we'll do that"

And the game ended up not being really close to what they showed. It was fun....for the first 30 levels and had loads of potential, but after the SP campaign, it fell flat and was/is riddled with hackers & aimbot clones.
True though it is now a much more solid game than it was, but sadly the stigma killed it, despite being a solid game now, didn't recover like Destiny did, though to be fair, they didn't try very hard to rope in old players, just fixed the game for the existing playerbase.

It's just harder and harder to be satisfied with games these days. The whole "We'll be able to fix it later" mantra doesn't fix the horrible and downright putrid game experience at launch and then sets the tone down the road. Not all large games are like this. No. Definitely not. But it's much easier to find really hyped and beautiful trailers for games - then to come to find out the game is another Destiny or another Division, Mass Effect, Simcity, Command and Conquer, Sonic (Pick any 3D game).

I think I spotted your problem. Every single one of those games isn't from a game development company. Every single one is from a large multinational financial institution. Mass Effect? Bioware's Mass Effect was great, unfortunately Bioware hasn't existed or quite some time as just an example. Some division of a multinational financial institution is now called bioware. Stop thinking that large multinational financial institutions want to develop games, because they don't, they want to develop money, games don't matter except as a method to extract money.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
Reminds me so much of The Division.....and then you find out that it is not at all like the trailers...........................

The crappy, scripted, buzzword filled, banter for game play footage is really annoying....that trend needs to end. It makes me cringe listening to it. Make it real..... with 12 yr olds screaming obscenities and racial slurs....

The crappy, scripted, buzzword filled, banter for game play footage is really annoying....that trend needs to end. It makes me cringe listening to it. Make it real..... with 12 yr olds screaming obscenities and racial slurs....

I would actually prefer this. I want to see a game in a real world scenario not these perfectly scripted and executed moments. All it does is lead to greater disappointment when it's released :(

Saw the trailer twice already. I see it as heroes dressed up in armor suits with weapon arsenals that came right out of Starsiege TRIBES in an open world that is by its design feels like a cross between Horizon: Zero Dawn and Destiny. Is the cross good? Time will tell. But just as a first look it's all too familiar, too closely based off of IP's already out in the world or in the developer's hangar. For EA to call this "original" is their usual ridiculous marketing spin. In the words of the late George Harrison at the end of the episode of The Simpsons featuring Homer's old barbershop quartet The B-Sharps: "It's been done." Out!

If they made a Starsiege Tribes game that looked like Anthem and played like Starsiege Tribes - I'd never leave my office.

I would actually prefer this. I want to see a game in a real world scenario not these perfectly scripted and executed moments. All it does is lead to greater disappointment when it's released :(
So would I, except the 12 yrd olds thing. that's sarcasm.... I would rather see a few guys on stage playing the game. There are quite a few developers that have done that and made it authentic....not oh "look at this lets go over there and use your new Epic mortar and kill these bad guys"
I still remember when a few of my buddies and I from work were playing The division and we were getting setup to pull aggro and one asks are we ready? and the one guy goes "I hope so" as his seeker mine rolled in and blew up and we go oh shit.........that's authentic.

Jetpack thrust looks 100% disconnected from whatever physics they are using. Falling downward? Add downward thrust and spread your arms to slow! Flying forward? Thrust from back slightly downward and directed into your swung up legs. Need to move fast? We know you can fly but here's the "thrust running mechanic"...

So, when the character finishes diving down at around 2:30 I totally lost immersion. It is like gravity does not apply here. LOL I refreshed and gunbust3r addressed it. No need for thrusters on the front of your suit; what were they thinking? Yeah, thrusting like that while running would just make you faceplant.

So would I, except the 12 yrd olds thing. that's sarcasm.... I would rather see a few guys on stage playing the game. There are quite a few developers that have done that and made it authentic....not oh "look at this lets go over there and use your new Epic mortar and kill these bad guys"
I still remember when a few of my buddies and I from work were playing The division and we were getting setup to pull aggro and one asks are we ready? and the one guy goes "I hope so" as his seeker mine rolled in and blew up and we go oh shit.........that's authentic.

The real moments are so much better. I remember me and 2 friends of mine were playing that ridiculously hard mission in the theater/church I forget the name but you go into this huge auditorium with a boss shooting a grenade launcher, 4 heavies, 3 snipers and a ton of other enemies. Moving from cover to cover, bullets blazing, taking shots, healing each other, putting down turrets. It was all such a cinematic experience that would easy work as E3 footage if they wanted.

I guess maybe it's a time constraint but I am sure they can get some of their employees, testers or close friends and just let them have at the game for a few hours and get tons of great footage. Or it could just be that the game is not actually playable so they have to put it on rails so you don't see problems. Just wish it wasn't so obviously scripted.

I hate the fake banter. So presumptuous.

And no, I don't need another superhuman slash superhero slash nanosuit on steroids game.

In short: It looks beautiful but I still hate the guts of it. It's everything I don't want in a game.

I'd just like to say I hate it when games intentionally cause the background to go blurry when you're talking to characters or supposed to be looking at something. I don't stare at a person's face when I'm talking to them. When I focus on something in game, naturally the background is not focused. You don't have to do it for me. Doing it for me only screws up immersion.

YES. That's the trailer I was thinking of with the scripted squad banter.

The scripting here was so bad that I thought it was actual in game NPCs speaking until about 2 minutes in. Then we heard the cringe worthy "lets wait for Kim" stuff. I've lost essentially all interest in this game.

- XP grind based. Check.
- Repetitive spawning enemies right outside of your safe heaven. Check. (devs, this got old with Far Cry 2 and Borderlands. Stop it already!)
- Multiplayer. Check.
- Spending hours looking for new gear and crap. Check.
- Lack of originality, effort and care put into designs, but you get to customized it!!!!! Check.
- Probably a crappy phoned in story. Check?
- Spend more time going from A to B, fighting random enemy checkpoints. Check.
- Dozens of "fetch this", "pick this up", and other pointless side objectives getting in your way to finish a proper mission (if there even is such a thing in this game). Check.

It does look amazing though. Won't be buying.

Back