BioWare Montreal Has Been Integrated into EA Motive

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
BioWare Montreal’s gamble with the Mass Effect franchise did not pay off, and the studio is still paying for it: leftover staff members have now been moved to EA’s Motive Studios, which is working alongside DICE on Battlefront II, as well as a brand-new IP. I initially used words such as “dissolved” and “assimilated,” but it sounds like BioWare Montreal still exists, at least in name.

…EA Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen said BioWare Montreal has been moved into the EA Motive studio to help Jade Raymond's team develop a new IP. "We're building out a new studio in Montréal, as we've told everyone. And we've hired over 100 people into that studio that are brand-new to EA. This is to build the new IP around Jade Raymond's team that she's been building. I was in that studio last month. And it's a wonderful new addition to our team. And we brought our BioWare Montréal team into that same facility. So they now all sit in one new studio together," Mr. Jorgensen said during the call.

*whispers into the ear of the Bioware Edmonton GM* Let the bodies hit the floor. Let the bodies hit the floor.

A long-overdue end to the brain-dead cabal that did what the Reapers never could: destroy my beloved Mass Effect universe.

Bioware isn't going anywhere, so who knows what else may be in store. I can't imagine it being anything great, but maybe decent enough. But one thing is for sure - if there is more Mass Effect, it will be tossed back and fourth between studios, which is never good for a continuous series with a strong story or style. I have no idea how far Motive and Bioware Montreal were. They may have been in the same building, kind of like Visceral Games' "studio" is within the EA campus at Redwood.

snip.. I have no idea how far Motive and Bioware Montreal were. They may have been in the same building, kind of like Visceral Games' "studio" is within the EA campus at Redwood.

Yeah, they are in the same mall/office complex in the center of the downtown core. EA, Ubisoft and Google are in the same area, within minutes (walking) of 3 universities, 2 colleges and a 4th university about 10-15 minutes by public transit. Perfect spot to recruit interns.

eaMeme.jpg

Yeah, they are in the same mall/office complex in the center of the downtown core. EA, Ubisoft and Google are in the same area, within minutes (walking) of 3 universities, 2 colleges and a 4th university about 10-15 minutes by public transit. Perfect spot to recruit interns.

Figured. Makes sense because Ubisoft has their biggest presence there. I can see why EA set up multiple studios / offices so close. Go a bit north and there is Ubisoft Quebec, and Ubisoft Toronto not too far either I'd assume. I'm going to assume a lot of the developers bounce around between the studios. Even the head of EA motive, and now I assume what is left of Bioware Montreal, is from Ubisoft Montreal and later Toronto.

What I don't understand is that Andromeda was actually financially a success. So why do this?

What I don't understand is that Andromeda was actually financially a success. So why do this?
It made money, but EA wanted moree. Also if they focus on Star Wars they could sell 6-11 million? 6 million is the new metric of success (I believe capcom was pissed that lara croft on sold 3 million+ instead of 6).... 1, 2-3 million is a failure for AAA A? gaming.

It made money, but EA wanted moree. Also if they focus on Star Wars they could sell 6-11 million? 6 million is the new metric of success (I believe capcom was pissed that lara croft on sold 3 million+ instead of 6).... 1, 2-3 million is a failure for AAA A? gaming.
Well if they would have focused on the game development instead of other things....

Back