BioWare Employee Celebrates and Mocks TotalBiscuit’s Death

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
BioWare employee David Crooks has no respect for the dead: the Mass Effect: Andromeda programmer openly mocked and celebrated the passing of popular YouTube personality and video game critic John Peter “TotalBiscuit” Bain on Twitter this week, stating that the world “felt a little bit better” with him gone. Apparently, Bain was not kind to Andromeda, Need for Speed: Rivals, and other titles Crooks was involved with.

As it should be, the community is disgusted by the act and it’s sad to see people can be so cynical and cold. Following the backlash, Crooks has tried to cover up his mistake by making all of his tweets private. Moreover, Crooks has also removed his bio detailing that he worked for BioWare and Electronic Arts.

It's fine to dislike someone even hate but go on a twitter hate spree like that after someones death is just distasteful. And I have a feeling it might hurt his carer, there's a lot of gamedevs and most aren't vocal about their buthurts... And no TB was not perfect or a saint but his family and friends doesn't need to be reminded so close to his passing....

You should never celebrate someones death, you can just choose to not mourn their passing and have respect for the rest of humanity by just shutting up.

Oh please. He will probably get a promotion and get put in charge of the multi-player for Anthem. That's how BW/EA is working as of late.

Never in a thousand years I thought I would say this but: I look forward to the day that EA shuts down BioWare.

I thought Anthem was an MMO or some sort of thing like that.

Oh hell EA is so fucking original it's probably a "battle royal" as of last week.

Damn it, what a shit company.

Edit: OK, I looked it up. Open world might mean they can avoid cringe-worthy video game romances at the very least. I still won't buy it, mind you.

Lets not forget that Bain wished for someone else to get cancer a while back on Twitter.

He apologized, but still he was no saint and could be a real foul mouth himself. The guy here ranted a little long, which I think is because many wouldn't criticize him as ya know....cancer and all.

aa0.png

With their games lately being so bad they aren't even worth spite pirating, that's the best I got.

What a complete bag of crap.

Whether you agree with TBs reviews or opinions, to mock his death after the fact is really low.

disgusting human being.
you develope a shity game(andromeda) and you won't even take criticism from ppl who play it ? you think your game is such a masterpiece...no wonder bioware games are so shity lately, if they employ these kind of ppl.
bioware need to fire his ass.

Last edited:
Why do people think this kind of stuff is “not classy” or “distasteful”?

You don’t get a pass for dying. You don’t suddenly become the best version of yourself for dying. If you were an asshole to people those people don’t have to accept your best traits just because you died.

They should get to keep their opinion they had of you when dead as they did when you were alive.

One guy who works for BioWare isn't representative of the entire company. This guy is a shitbag, I'd agree, but I'm reasonably certain he doesn't speak for his overlords.
Exactly, let's not let his opinions tarnish EA's stellar reputation.

You don’t get a pass for dying. You don’t suddenly become the best version of yourself for dying. If you were an asshole to people those people don’t have to accept your best traits just because you died.

They should get to keep their opinion they had of you when dead as they did when you were alive.
You're mixing up two concepts. First, I agree with you. The way you felt about somebody in life should be the same you feel about them in death. That's not the issue here. The issue is somebody celebrating someone they disagree with dying from cancer. Celebrating someone whose actions you don't like retiring or discontinuing their career makes sense. Celebrating someone you don't like dying from cancer is just toxic and hateful and looks worse for the person saying so than whoever they're accusing. It suggests a loss of basic humanity.

Compound this with TB's big platform (that I know of) being a proponent of consumer rights in gaming and it makes the whole thing look even more insane.

If he worked on Need for Speed it sounds like he's more of an EA employee than Bioware, of course I would guess that's what most of the workforce there is anymore.

I don't like how people's history tends to get sugarcoated after they die however there's a big difference between that celebrating someone's death, especially if it's just over stupid shit like them disliking something you worked on.

If he worked on Need for Speed it sounds like he's more of an EA employee than Bioware, of course I would guess that's what most of the workforce there is anymore.

I don't like how people's history tends to get sugarcoated after they die however there's a big difference between that celebrating someone's death, especially if it's just over stupid shit like them disliking something you worked on.

Especially since TB didn't do video game reviews, he did "Impressions". Rather than saying "this game gets a 2 out of 5", he created videos saying "I liked this part, I didn't like this part, etc". This asshat dev went on a tirade because a person that didn't like his game died of cancer. Its probably time to make sure he doesn't have access to any sharp objects.

The guy is entitled to his opinions just as long as he keeps them to himself :cool:

nobody is saying that you should advertise a better version of someone after his death.
but total biscuit was a game reviewer not a war criminal for fuk sakes, put things into perspective, gloating and celebrating his death publicly is definitely a mark of bankrupt morals, to be glad that someone died because he didn't like your game ( for very good and valide reasons on top of that ) is appauling, he did not just whish his death and then came to regret it, he is actualy happy and celebrating the death.
if he hated him, well he just keeps it to himself, or gloat in private with his assholes friends in bioware, but to take it in public...and see ppl defending him...wtf.

The more outspoken Bioware employees lately have been real pieces of work. This douchebag should be canned. How much worse can you get than being a dick about the death of a widely-beloved member of your own industry?

nobody is saying that you should advertise a better version of someone after his death.
but total biscuit was a game reviewer not a war criminal for fuk sakes, put things into perspective, gloating and celebrating his death publicly is definitely a mark of bankrupt morals, to be glad that someone died because he didn't like your game ( for very good and valide reasons on top of that ) is appauling, he did not just whish his death and then came to regret it, he is actualy happy and celebrating the death.
if he hated him, well he just keeps it to himself, or gloat in private with his assholes friends in bioware, but to take it in public...and see ppl defending him...wtf.

To put it bluntly, I couldn't care less about BioWare games (they aren't my thing) and I don't know who this "TotalBiscuit" guy was.

Having said that: If an opinionated Youtube "critic" shat on BioWare games, then a member of the BioWare team who felt pride behind their work has ever reason to be upset. Whatever form that may be. He gets to feel the way he feels just as the critic felt his way did during his life. There is no difference between the two. People are just sensitive to death as if it something sacred.

I don't like critics because they somehow found a way to make a living literally judging other people's actual work.

Wow what a piece of shit.

Nothing like dancing on someone's grave to make you look like a fucking asshole.

Wow, I didn't even know Total Biscuit had died. I loved his videos during Steam sales where he would play a bit of each game and talk about it. Clearly this guy took criticism of the game way too personally (unless he was the lead animator or dialogue writer on Andromedra then most of the complaints weren't about him anyway).

What a d bag. Post some distasteful crap on social media then try to back out after the obvious consequences.

I mean if you are going to be a jerk just own it man. Or better yet have some discretion and keep it to yourself.

I don't like critics because they somehow found a way to make a living literally judging other people's actual work.

That is, to put it bluntly, fucking stupid. Yes, critics make a living providing a service that people want. Good critics also put in work when they look at PRODUCTS that companies are SELLING to CONSUMERS. EA and Bioware are FOR PROFIT companies that want people to PURCHASE their games. There is nothing noble or artistic about it. This isn't someone walking into a high school art or creative writing class and calling the students' work shit.

Wasn't Bioware infested pretty thoroughly by anti-gamergate SJW outrage culture types? Those are the types of people who'd openly mock someone for having cancer, wish them dead then celebrate when they pass. Not surprised by this at all.

To put it bluntly, I couldn't care less about BioWare games (they aren't my thing) and I don't know who this "TotalBiscuit" guy was.

Having said that: If an opinionated Youtube "critic" shat on BioWare games, then a member of the BioWare team who felt pride behind their work has ever reason to be upset. Whatever form that may be. He gets to feel the way he feels just as the critic felt his way did during his life. There is no difference between the two. People are just sensitive to death as if it something sacred.

your arguments are completely flawed, you keep infering things nobody asks for or do, the guy can harbor ill feelings for the reviewer who downgraded his works, that still doesn't mean the developer should go and celebrate the reviewer's death publicly, because that critic has a family and friends who are mourning, he have ppl who liked him, and all this for what? get revenge ? he can very well respond when the guy was still living and disagree all he wants about the review.
everyone works, and only idiots think their work is perfect and beyond judging, especialy if you sell product to ppl who are entitled to decide to trust someone they think has the same taste to review the product for them...it's not like companies spit lies day and night at you about their product and misleading you into spending your hard earned money on a false advertised product.
and btw you are posting on a platform, that their primary job is to review and judge other ppl's work...luckily enough kyle doesn't mind if you like him or not.
i can apreciate your opinionated view, but you don't have a leg to stand on, or maybe we are just way too different, because i cannot understand how you can still find it OK for him to do what he did.

Last edited:
One guy who works for BioWare isn't representative of the entire company. This guy is a shitbag, I'd agree, but I'm reasonably certain he doesn't speak for his overlords.
Too true. I admit my anger over his action spilled over.

The EA f*ckup train continues chugging along.
Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, Maxis, etc. RIP

You say that as if criticism has no value or contribution.

It's an important part of the feedback cycle. It is only helpful when constructive, but it is helpful. Someone who is confident in themselves realizes this, and doesn't take it personally when their work is criticized. An opinion is only one voice and a criticism of a creation is not criticism of the person who created it.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...-blog/2012/feb/09/reasons-tips-criticism-arts

And while you may not know who TB was, you benefited from his existence. His contributions directly impacted the quality of many games.

Back