Bioware/EA hacked

tpfaff

2[H]4U
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/23/biowares-neverwinter-nights-forums-hacked-ea-account-informati/

I can't log into my EA account to play Bad Company 2. EA changed my password and didn't tell me and I still haven't gotten the email. Note that I have never even played neverwinter nights. :(

Edit: Just got the email

We recently learned that hackers gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare server system supporting the Neverwinter Nights forums. We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers’ data and launched a thorough ongoing evaluation of the breach. We have determined that no credit card data was compromised from the servers, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. Our investigation shows that information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from these forum accounts on the system may have been compromised, as well as other information (if any) that you may have associated with your EA Account. In an abundance of caution, we have changed your password to ensure account security. Please visit this******************* to reset your password immediately.

If your link has expired, click here to generate a new email.

We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. If your username, email address and/or password on your EA account are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-877-357-6007.

If you have questions, please visit our FAQ at http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5367/ or contact Customer Support at the phone number above.

Aaryn Flynn
Studio GM, BioWare Edmonton
VP, Electronic Arts

Yeah I got an email from bioware to change my pw. Disappointing as I though it was the SWTOR beta invite.

Hmm. Strange.. News relating Sony gets posted so quick.. Other companies not so much. Haha, I don't recall seeing eidos and epic games etc on the front page.

On topic: this is getting ridiculous, when is it going to stop?

since lulzsec was doing it, and (as referred to by some) they are nothing but script kiddies, it shouldn't be surprising anyone can do it too

As if there isn't enough bullshit in the world without these idiots running around vandalizing shit. DIAF.

I couldn't log into BFBC2 last night until I reset my EA password. I am guessing this was the cause?

IMO they're trying to show the world that going to the subscription or log-in type method of managing games is going to provoke attacks!

IMO they're trying to show the world that going to the subscription or log-in type method of managing games is going to provoke attacks!

I think that would be stupid. They are screwing people, not the companies if that is the case. Ranking systems are very important to some people. If there is anyone I want to get hit... It for both lulz and anonymous go joint hardcore dp on riaa and mpaa.

I don't think it's anything more than a bunch of immature people who for some reason get their jollies from trying to hurt others. They're the same as the school bullies, wanna-be tough-guy gangbangers who go around jumping people, etc. For some reason these people think that they'll be viewed as 'cool' or 'awesome' by others, and sadly there usually are a lot of people who give them exactly what they want, which is usually attention. Cases in point would be the tards at anonymous or lulzsec, simply doing it to do it and then bragging about it and eating up all the fanboi attention they get all over the internet.

Any of these stupid groups who are trying to claim they are fighting for a cause are a bunch of liars or idiots. Stealing a bunch of personal info on people who are in no way shape or form responsible for drm or whatever cause they are claiming to fight doesn't really do anything to convince the company they should remove drm. As others have said, all it does is piss people off or annoy.

well looks like the fun ended for lulzsec..

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/23195-lone-hacker-brings-down-lulzsec

wfeather found a better source and better article.. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/jun/24/lulzsec-site-down-hacker-jester

yes i know its fudzilla, but god damnit my day just got better after reading this so enjoy(hopefully its legit).

courtesy of wfeather's google-fu, i some how missed this one.. http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/22/lulzsec-hacked-exposed-by-rival-hackers/

Last edited:
Someone call up Cult of the Dead Cow and get their statement...those old boys still around? :p At least they did some decent stuff like putting holes in China's firewall, not stupid crap like hitting Bioware.

Got the email too.

So tired of this.

Have fun with my fake birthday, phone number, etc.

You know, I have this friend who has insisted for the longest time that you should put in all fake information on every website you register in case stuff like this happens.

I guess he's having the last laugh now.

What do they think they are proving? They aren't doing anything to help anyone. Someone's gonna deliver a shotgun blast directly to each one of their faces if they keep pissing people off.

EA/Bioware deserves this for releasing Dragon Age 2, those fuckers.

And for that Grey Warden Tower DLC, they deserve it.

No sympathy.

But i haz firewallz...lol. Yeah, this situation is already stupid, this is just icing on the cake. What's going to be funny is one of these companies is going to find some legit white hats to take care of these guys.

So began the Cyber World War....;P

You know, I have this friend who has insisted for the longest time that you should put in all fake information on every website you register in case stuff like this happens.

He is a smart guy.
Unless I need to put adres for credit card checking or delivery of goods i never enter real stuff :)

We recently learned that hackers gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare server system supporting the Neverwinter Nights forums.

Heh, this line kinda seems like they are golfclapping for the hackers, basically saying, "congratulations, you were able to hack 10-year old servers".

It would be an even better idea for the companies to host fake databases of all their usernames and passwords with pretty relaxed security. That way, when they get hacked, the hackers get the fake data, and they get a chance to lock down their actual data even better.

Thank you OP. I got the notification also. But I never played neverwinter nights. I reset my password anyways :)

He's smart. But unfortunately you can't do that anymore with MMOs and Steam (Unless you don't care about losing your account/games and have money to burn).

did all EA accounts get the email or is it just ones associated with Bioware??

I wouldn't really take any chances. I would reset it anyways. But I did recieve the e-mail and I do have bioware games registered on bioware site that uses my EA ID.

Back