BioWare Co-Founders Retire

HardOCP News

[H] News
The co-founders of BioWare jointly announced their retirement today. Both men say they are leaving the gaming industry altogether, presumably to roll around in piles of cash for the rest of their lives. ;)

After nearly two decades in videogames, I’ve decided to move on to pursue an entirely different set of challenges. This has been an incredibly difficult decision to make; after thinking about it for many months, I made the decision to retire from videogames back in early April 2012 – at that time I provided six months’ notice to EA, to help enable a solid transition for my teams at BioWare.

And a DLC will be available to elaborate their departures for this to be release later on this holiday season! :D

Getting and cashing out at the current tax rate before Urkel jacks it up.

what they really mean is "we fucked our company by selling to EA, and we were shamed into retiring"

Golden Parachutes!

Open!

(Don't worry, EA's got your backs!)

Maybe they'll make movies instead.

You know, some kind of innovative new concept where the audience votes while the movie plays as to what the protagonist does next for an infinite number of possibilities.

Then have the movie end with one of 3 similar choices that aren't satisfying at all.

:D

what they really mean is "we fucked our company by selling to EA, and we were shamed into retiring"

++

Baldur's Gate was developed by the Canadian game developer BioWare, a company founded by a pair of practicing physicians, Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk. The game required ninety man-years of development, which was spent simultaneously creating the game's content and the BioWare Infinity Engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate

& that is why, despite any & all discussion to the contrary, PC gaming is beyond dead & buried - never again will we see such commitment to the execution of a PC gaming vision

Bioware name dropped and renamed to EA Edmonton in 3...2...1...

Actually funny story Bioware at the time was partners with"Elevation Partners" which one of its founding members being John Riccitiello 2 years down the line John gets back as the head of EA and in turns buys out Elevation partners stake in Bioware / Pandemic Studio. So in turn he controls Bioware and gets to benefit from Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Orgins further cementing himself as the head of EA and gets a nice return on his investment at the same time from Elevation Partners deal to sell.

Wouldn't be surprised in a few years time if Bioware goes under, seems like EA is good at disbanding the companies they acquired.

As many have rightly pointed out already

http://twitter.com/TychoBrahe/status/248172124546662400

This definitely looks like then end of a 5 year non compete contract to anyone who's been offered something similar.

Not sure about a non-compete, but there was probably some clause in the contract that gave them a big pile of stock or something if they stuck around long enough. Rarely ever is a non-compete that long going to stand up in court anyway... with relatively little investment the docs could get that slapped down.

I imagine after SWTOR and being forced to mash out multiple iterations in the same IP (ME and DA), both are burnt out anyway by the corporate machine that is EA, and who could blame them?

Hard to deny that the polish of BioWare games keeps improving, but can't say that the fun or the soul is there as it used to be. Then again, when BW and the docs were really hitting their stride, there wasn't enough money in video games to crush creativity under the boot heel of profits.

++

Baldur's Gate was developed by the Canadian game developer BioWare, a company founded by a pair of practicing physicians, Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk. The game required ninety man-years of development, which was spent simultaneously creating the game's content and the BioWare Infinity Engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate

& that is why, despite any & all discussion to the contrary, PC gaming is beyond dead & buried - never again will we see such commitment to the execution of a PC gaming vision

Bioware used to be the company you'd go to for games that seemed to change depending on how you played it. You could have 2 people talking about it, and they'd turn out to have some very different experiences with it.

Now, all you can do is hope that the other staff members learned what they could from them to make good games.

If you need the co-founders they'll be here...

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

After nearly two decades in videogames, I’ve decided to move on to pursue an entirely different set of challenges.

Translation:

"We finally agreed with mom that we're too old for video games and we needed to get real jobs." :D

next year or 2 any one else left from the Bioware we knew will be gone to :/

*NEWS UPDATE*

The New Co-Founders have been installed however they will need 50 patches to get them working correctly....

*1 Year later*
The 50 patches have now been installed however we need to add 50 more fixes due to found bugs with our recent patches..

*10 Years Later*
We dont support that model anymore...

Whatever, it's just a video game company. Changes within one of those is pretty much non-impacting in any significant aspect of life.

Whatever, it's just a video game company. Changes within one of those is pretty much non-impacting in any significant aspect of life.

It impacts many lives of those who loved Biowares games. EA has officially destroyed them beyond repair. It is a sad fate that alot of large developers being absorbed are seeing.

It impacts many lives of those who loved Biowares games. EA has officially destroyed them beyond repair. It is a sad fate that alot of large developers being absorbed are seeing.

They sold themselves to EA. It wasn't like EA invaded them via force. Bioware fucked up but made a lot of money doing it.

I guess I don't understand that. They're games so yeah, they might be fun to play, but falling in love with a company because some people in it made games you like and then lamenting a change in their company leadership is sort of strange.

I guess I don't understand that. They're games so yeah, they might be fun to play, but falling in love with a company because some people in it made games you like and then lamenting a change in their company leadership is sort of strange.

I've seen people cry when their restored classic's get destroyed in accidents. I've seen people cry in movies. People sad when their favorite TV show gets cancelled. Emotional attachment to something is possible I guess. *shrug*

They sold themselves to EA. It wasn't like EA invaded them via force. Bioware fucked up but made a lot of money doing it.

Yeah they made alot of money but I find it fucked up. I hope the employees got huge bonus checks if not then fuck those guys, have some pride in your company.

I've seen people cry when their restored classic's get destroyed in accidents. I've seen people cry in movies. People sad when their favorite TV show gets cancelled. Emotional attachment to something is possible I guess. *shrug*

When you put it like that, I guess it makes sense. I'd be sad if my cat found a way to eat Freddy Goldfish. Then again, Freddy's alive and games are just stuff on CDs. It still seems strange.

The Bioware forums are a very strange place.

They have a forum?! :eek: For a game company?!

Can't tell if trolling or serious...

Still, it's kinda a bummer that there's never going to be a good IP from Bioware again. The wrong people have now been put in charge of that studio, and the PR spin is that we should be trusting these people to make good decisions, despite having failed spectacularly three times in a row.

Can't tell if trolling or serious...

Still, it's kinda a bummer that there's never going to be a good IP from Bioware again. The wrong people have now been put in charge of that studio, and the PR spin is that we should be trusting these people to make good decisions, despite having failed spectacularly three times in a row.

I was serious! >.< I'm going to have to go troll their forum or something. It sounds like it could be fun! ^^

Whatever.

Your name is awesome. It's like mortician only with less "mor" and more "vor" which I heard is popular these days since people don't like corpses and do like swallowing their sexual partners whole.

Back