Bioware bought by Microsoft? Say it ain't so, Joe!

TrueBuckeye

Most valuable "member"
This would seriously disturb me, so I hope that it isn't true.

http://www.ferrago.com/story/3393

Not that MS hasn't been involved in some good/great games, but Bioware puts out just outstanding games.

Baldur's Gate was great. BG2 even better. I didn't get a chance to play Icewind Dale, but I hear that is better than either of the BG games.

I love Neverwinter Nights, I'm still playing it right now as a matter of fact. Playing persistent worlds for free...

What can be said about KOTOR that hasn't already.

But if MS buys Bioware, I bet we would see only X-box exclusive games from here on out. And suddenly I would have to pay for onlines play, plus have to play on a console rather than my computer.

This one bugs me.

They did Bungee, so I don't see how this isn't possible. If you can't beat them or be like them, go out and buy them!

That would be a really bad news but it won't surprise me in the least. Bioware was in bed with Microsoft since they started developing KOTOR.

Bio-folks on the Bio-boards have been denying this rumor for many, many months. Bioware is a privately held company, so it would have to be a voluntary sale by the head honchos. So far, every indication from Bio-anyone is the rumor is false.

RagManX

Originally posted by RagManX
Bio-folks on the Bio-boards have been denying this rumor for many, many months. Bioware is a privately held company, so it would have to be a voluntary sale by the head honchos. So far, every indication from Bio-anyone is the rumor is false.

RagManX

I'm glad to hear that. I hope you are right.

I wouldn't mind it. With the exception of Rare, Microsoft has done a good job with focusing their second-parties on developing some excellent looking games (Halo 2 isn't out yet, but it looks better every day).

ha. microsoft kills EVERY pc game. and makes everything "Xbox Exclusive"
it really hurts the PC community.

id guess bioware would be cutting off our supplies for lan parties if microsoft bought them out...

Then I'd be pissed... 3 more mugs and I've got 10... :D

Originally posted by SacLANd
ha. microsoft kills EVERY pc game. and makes everything "Xbox Exclusive"
it really hurts the PC community.
Huh. I don't seem to recall that happening with my Age of Empires titles or screwing up with Age of Mythology after they bought out Ensemble Studios. Not everything they touch turns to crap. Maybe this is the exception to the rule.

Originally posted by Torgo
Huh. I don't seem to recall that happening with my Age of Empires titles or screwing up with Age of Mythology after they bought out Ensemble Studios. Not everything they touch turns to crap. Maybe this is the exception to the rule.

Yeah.

And what games has Microsoft "killed" and made XBox only recently? I don't recall any. Not to say it hasn't happened, just I don't believe i've heard anything of the sort.

Dont see how it can be a bad thing. If anything it would give them more money to develope some more killer games and add employees. I just wished they had bought Sega instead of letting another company pick them off.

Bioware bought my Microsoft?

That one letter little typo is the complete opposite of what you meant to say.

But we all know Bioware doesn't have the means to by Microsoft.

Probably not even Microsoft stock.

um... so what if microsoft buys them
they will still make excellent games and microsoft makes money off the pc market as well, i dont think that would stop. xbox exclusive just means that the game wont come out on ps2 or gc, not that it wont come out for pc. halo and kotor were both xbox exclusives but i have played both of those on my pc.
settle down guys this is not the end of the world

Microsoft publishes a lot of PC games actually, don't assume that just because they own a company, it'll only work on x-box.

And what games has Microsoft "killed" and made XBox only recently? I don't recall any. Not to say it hasn't happened, just I don't believe i've heard anything of the sort.

DEUS... EX... 2

It was not exclusive but the fact that it was not PC exclusive ruined that game...

Originally posted by ARN
um... so what if microsoft buys them
they will still make excellent games and microsoft makes money off the pc market as well, i dont think that would stop. xbox exclusive just means that the game wont come out on ps2 or gc, not that it wont come out for pc. halo and kotor were both xbox exclusives but i have played both of those on my pc.
settle down guys this is not the end of the world

Agreed 100%.

And did Microsoft really have THAT much to do with the streamlining of DX2? EDIT: Errr.. that was a serious questions, I wasn't trying to flame or anything :)

DEUS... EX... 2

It was not exclusive but the fact that it was not PC exclusive ruined that game...

Sorry, but that's a bullshit cop-out. Knights of the Old Republic turned out fine and it was on the Xbox last summer.

Yeah I personally don't have a problem with MS buying stuff. I know I'd wanna be just like Microsoft if I was a company :p

Hell I don't mind playing games on my xbox. Maybe that's because of my T.V. but still. I own 2 xboxes and enjoy them both. There's something about playing a game with a friend on an xbox and a big screen that playing next to each other on 2 computers can't do. (for some games anyways).

PC's ARE NOT THE ONLY GAMING UTILITY. The xbox is capable of doing some things better than the PC. At least it makes the more enjoyable.

And obviously most things a PC can do 100000000x better, but xboxes aren't as useless as people make them sound.

Can you honestly say that if Deus Ex 2 was not coming out for xbox it would have been the exact same game that it turned out to be? Ion Storm wanted to make a game a that would sell to console owners and that is what they did in my opinion.

Back