BioStar TA890FXE Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
BioStar TA890FXE Motherboard Review - BioStar is one of those companies that's generally well known for making boards which are frankly not targeted toward the enthusiast market. However that changed a few years back when they introduced their T-Force line of boards aimed at the high end. Surprisingly to us, T-Force motherboards have been solid contenders for a couple years now. How does its newest fare?

Thanks for the review. Have you heard any rumblings that Nvidia will eventualy allow SLI on AMD chipsets since it looks like Nvidia is out of the chipset market now?

Interesting to hear your problems. Maybe you have a dud.

My TA-890GXE, which I would presume to be essentially the same board, has been rock solid stable with my 1055T at 257x14=3.6ghz, running Folding @ Home smp 24/7 since the day I installed it probably 3 months ago.

Also, I happen to think these are great looking boards.

Interesting to hear your problems. Maybe you have a dud.

My TA-890GXE, which I would presume to be essentially the same board, has been rock solid stable with my 1055T at 257x14=3.6ghz, running Folding @ Home smp 24/7 since the day I installed it probably 3 months ago.

Also, I happen to think these are great looking boards.

The boards are certainly similar, but they are different. The chipset is different. Our board had terrible build quality, pretty terrible layout, aweful BIOS, and as for looks, those are subjective. I found it hideous but that's just me. Brown PCB's are nasty. Plain and simple.

The boards are certainly similar, but they are different. The chipset is different. Our board had terrible build quality, pretty terrible layout, aweful BIOS, and as for looks, those are subjective. I found it hideous but that's just me. Brown PCB's are nasty. Plain and simple.
hm, the 890gxe might be a little more black....I didn't recall mine being very brown. http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/201005/BioTA890GXE_fullv.jpg

The bios on the 890gxe is funky too, for sure. However, so far it's been solid.

It looks black in the picture. The TA890FXE on the other hand is quite brown in person.

Thanks for the heads up!
I was literally a button push away from ordering this for my new system.
I’ll very likely get the MSI board instead.

Thanks for the heads up!
I was literally a button push away from ordering this for my new system.
I’ll very likely get the MSI board instead.

That would be a good choice. The MSI board seems like a far superior choice.

Thanks for the review. It's never a good look for a product when the reviewer links to a much better product in the conclusion, lol. This is one I'll be staying away from.

Morry took that MSI board and put it in his own system.

Thanks for the review. I'm disappointed in Biostar. They have put out some really nice boards in the past, esp for the money. I for one appreciate the work you guys put in so we don't have to waste money.

A shame because I really like Biostar a lot lately especially for the extreme value end of things.

However those looking for a good board need only look at just about anything Gigabyte has to offer.

I will post in defense of the board to some extent, I've got my 1055T at 3800MHz rock stable, haven't had too many issues. Keeping in mind that I got this as part of a bundle from frys, I've been really happy with it (The board was essentially free)

I bought some Biostar boards a few years ago because they were cheap. Newegg would practically give the earlier T-Force boards away in combo deals.

I thought that it was good hardware for the price, and decent overclocking. Unfortunately, the boards IMHO were left unsupported too quickly. From Asus and Gigabyte, it hasn't been uncommon to see years of BIOS updates. With the Biostar, they quit supporting the boards I was using in less than a year IIRC. A board can't be a good value if you have to replace them twice as frequently to get new CPU support. Maybe they have changed in the last few years.

I've been thinking about trying ASRock for a value board sometime...

I still have a Asrock 939-SATA dual in my parents HTPC going strong with a 3200 Venice. They only use it for antenna tv, dvds, and Hulu, but it works great still. With Biostar supporting their hardware for maybe a year, I quite using them. Next board I purchase for me will be an ASUS.

A shame because I really like Biostar a lot lately especially for the extreme value end of things.

However those looking for a good board need only look at just about anything Gigabyte has to offer.

I really enjoyed working with all the other BioStar boards I've reviewed in the past. This one was very disappointing to say the least.

I got this board on a Fry's deal with the 1055T and for what I paid for it it surprised me with the ability it had. I hadn't done my research yet but planned on using it for a lot of virtual machine work. So I was pleasantly surprised that it had IOMMU support! Yeah this board is probably best relegated to home server work if you can get it for cheap, or non-enthusiast stuff.

Back