Biostar Racing X370-GTN ITX AM4

I've played a little bit with the memory config today and it looks like I can't get past 2400 MHz on RipJaws 3200 MHz. Neither ramping up timings nor the voltage lets it post on 2667, nor the XMP profile works.

The annoying part here is that the board tries to boot 5 times before getting back to safe defaults and I have to config the bios from scratch (some of the boards load in failsafe mode while still saving the faulty config so you can fix just your failed attempt settings and have all other configs intact).

There will be new AMD Ryzen core bios rolling out soon as announced yesterday though that should enable memory support up to 4000 MHz and timings compatibility. Let's hope that'll do the trick.

For now I ended up running memory on 2400@1,222v with 16/36 timings.

I don't own this motherboard, but I do own a cranky AsRock board. :)

Can you set a profile in Ryzen Master how you want? When the PC starts it will use the Ryzen Master settings. If it fails, Ryzen Master still remembers them and you can adjust them to try again. I can save 4 different boot profiles with my Ryzen Master.

I don't own this motherboard, but I do own a cranky AsRock board. :)

Can you set a profile in Ryzen Master how you want? When the PC starts it will use the Ryzen Master settings. If it fails, Ryzen Master still remembers them and you can adjust them to try again. I can save 4 different boot profiles with my Ryzen Master.

Tested this now and nope, it doesn't boot. I don't think its a problem with configuration tool (biostar's UEFI) but rather the core of the bios not yet supporting all timing and clock configurations for different memory chips.

I just finished my build a few days ago and it's still running at stock. When I XMP it just forever boots. Once the new AGESA stuff is released, I'll give tweaking another shot. The CMOS reset is such a pain in the butt to do for my NCase build - have to pull third of the parts out to get my hands in there to move the jumper - I'd rather have stable right now than uber fast.
Run the jumper header to a switch and mount it on the back of the case. I usually do this for builds that don't have a CMOS switch on the I/O shield, or they're in an area harder to reach without removing components.

Anyone had any luck with nvme drives? specifically samsung 960 evo's...
i've tried two drives on this board now (a 1tb and a 500gb), both seem to have issues, as far as i can tell its the drives anyway.

Windows boots fine but after 30 seconds, or when it becomes idle it freezes. Sometimes black screen sometimes a crash without bsod.
no useful logs, not a sausage of trace.

Testing with an old sata hdd now and everything seems to be running ok so far.
Hoping its not a dodgy m2 port on my board!

Last edited:
Anyone had any luck with nvme drives? specifically samsung 960 evo's...
i've tried two drives on this board now (a 1tb and a 500gb), both seem to have issues, as far as i can tell its the drives anyway.

Windows boots fine but after 30 seconds, or when it becomes idle it freezes. Sometimes black screen sometimes a crash without bsod.
no useful logs, not a sausage of trace.

Testing with an old sata hdd now and everything seems to be running ok so far.
Hoping its not a dodgy m2 port on my board!

I've got 960 evo 250. Runs without problems so far, but I haven't installed samsung magician for optimisations yet, forgot about this :p

I haven't had time really to play some games yet or done any heavy work since I've built this rig so also I might've not encountered it just yet.

Did the problems occur before installing samsung drives?

I just assembled my system and don't have any problems with a Samsung 960 Pro NVME drive. My Gskill TridentZ 3200 RAM won't run at 3200, even though it's on Biostar's QVL list. Hopefully that AGESA update comes soon!

I initially used it as my boot drive with no other drivers.
With the sata hdd on its own there doesnt seem to be any issues.
On reconnecting the nvme drive but still using the sata drive to boot the problem is back.

Thanks for the info anyway, looks like it is an issue with the motherboard port :(

I just assembled my system and don't have any problems with a Samsung 960 Pro NVME drive. My Gskill TridentZ 3200 RAM won't run at 3200, even though it's on Biostar's QVL list. Hopefully that AGESA update comes soon!

Isnt this already available? Or are they bringing out yet another AGESA update?

Yep there will be another, 1006. You can read more about it in new ryzen community update.

I had a BSOD this morning when I left the pc idle for some time and some browser plugins crashing as well. I rolled back to auto config for now...

EDIT: I have installed the samsung driver and shortly after got another BSOD - this might confirm some problems with the board and samsung nvme driver, but not being limited to those, but may happen occasionally on M$ driver as well.

Last edited:
This raises me some concerns...

Has anyone tried the intel 600p?
Ordered the 256gb I hope it works alright

Ok, so I can confirm that there are some real memory issues on my system. Chrome tabs and plugins keep crashing once in awhile and I had another BSOD.

I have no idea yet whether it's a problem with samsung nvme driver or just my memory having problems with new ryzen architecture. I'm placing my bet on the memory support here though rather than the nvme. I can only wait for biostar to roll out AGESA 1.0.0.6 based bios update.

Ok, so I can confirm that there are some real memory issues on my system. Chrome tabs and plugins keep crashing once in awhile and I had another BSOD.

I have no idea yet whether it's a problem with samsung nvme driver or just my memory having problems with new ryzen architecture. I'm placing my bet on the memory support here though rather than the nvme. I can only wait for biostar to roll out AGESA 1.0.0.6 based bios update.

You can try with flareX memories, they work great, both 2400 and 3200 versions.

Looks like one of the ram modules causes crashes while the other works perfectly fine. Time for RMA...

Yeah, rear mounted M.2 is tough for figuring out cooling. I'd accept a vertical M.2 socket on the right side at this point.

Check out my post on previous page, near bottom.
Your links helped but TYC had the values in the description so you don't have to guess/calc etc (I just Googled 1700x stable OC and found a few threads in Reddit where most ppl ended up at)

7:06

Running 1700x on X370 at 3.9 at 1.3v 3200 14CL (Trident RGB) in Ncase M1 w/ D9L at 50 idle, 68.4 C load (figured I could go higher but don't want to push my luck)

Last edited:
Anyone with the X370-GTN and tall RAM? Using D9L and works ok (can't put 2nd fan on right side by RAM tho) but was looking at the Dark Rock TF and maybe mod the aluminum fins to make it fit (with a fan hopefully), was curious tried this themselves or with a C14(s)

It's become a morning ritual when I boot up my Ryzen box every day. Click on Biosupdate and see if anything pops. I was surprised, something actually showed up today. I was beginning to think Biostar sold and dumped the board. I'm in the same boat as SaperPL ... still no workie XMP profile though.

So how do I overclock my memory on this MoBo? Can't get my 2x16 G.Skill TridentZ to boot at 3200@CL16 :(
Boots on 2933@CL14 fine at v1.35, though

Anyone overclocked on the new bios yet? I hear they removed the p-state overclocking. I'm hoping they just simplified/renamed it and you can still get the processor to down-clock and down-volt at idle... I don't want my processor running full-tilt all the time it's just a silly waste of electricity not to mention the knock on heat and noise...

I just flashed my BIOS to the new X37AK623.BSS version, and I can report that my Corsair Vengeance LPX 2×8GB 3200 kit now runs at 3200 MHz without problems by simply enabling the XMP profile. That's great. Previously I could only get to 2933 MHz manually.

Unfortunately in that same O.N.E. screen of the BIOS, there is no P-state overclocking anymore! :( I cannot find it anywhere else in the BIOS either. What the hell?

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Yep, no more p-state, just simple multiplier! I think that this option will fit better to most people.

But don't worry, cpu still downclocks itself when needed, even when using multiplier, just use correct minimum processor state in windows power options.

Yep, no more p-state, just simple multiplier! I think that this option will fit better to most people.

But don't worry, cpu still downclocks itself when needed, even when using multiplier, just use correct minimum processor state in windows power options.
Is it dropping to voltage too? Is it only Windows which makes it down-clock now? Sorry for all the questions!

Just updated my bios and yes they did take out the Pstate values for overclocking. So exactly were can you overclock it now? Can you take a screen shot of the exact values I would need to adjust sorry a noob and can't for life me find anything to adjust the core value for overclocking. Thanks!

You just need to change the CPU ratio in O.N.E., it's below CPU clock, second row. Just enter the number manually. I will take picture when I get home.
I'm using windows 10, so I don't know for other OS's.
For voltage, I set it manually to lowest available clock (+0.02 V), because default settings boost the voltage too high. So it stays around 1.232 V all the time, when checking in new CPU-Z. I can also see what happens on auto with manually adjusted CPU ratio.

I tried adjusting the CPU ratio in O.N.E. and indeed, the CPU still clocks down when idle, so that's great.

Unfortunately, even though I have entered +0.02 for the voltage, the Vcore stays at 1.35. At first I tried +0.100, and it was set at 1.35V, and now that I've set +0.02, it's also at 1.35V, which is weird. Have confirmed with Ryzen Master, CPU-Z, and HWiNFO.
I would like to run at 3.8GHz at 1.25V. This was previously not possible with the p-states overclocking, as the minimum was 1.275V. Now, I can't get below 1.35V in the BIOS. I can take it down to 1.25V with Ryzen Master, but I prefer to set and forget everything in BIOS.

Something else: has anybody ever had problems with this board when the fans stop spinning as soon as Windows begins loading? I have had this a few times now, and I have tried to isolate the problem to a specific BIOS setting, but I can't. I appears to be sort-of random. Obviously it involves changing the settings of Smart Fan Control, but for the rest I cannot pinpoint one BIOS setting that causes it. It is clear that the fans are not faulty, because they do spin during POST, but as soon as Windows starts loading, they stop. When this happens, I have always noted that hardware sensor programs cannot read any of the temperature sensors of the motherboard. It might be that these sometimes fail to initialize, causing the fans to stop working because they don't have target temperatures. Does this sound familiar to anyone? This happend in the previous BIOS a few times, and with the new BIOS as well. Mostly everyting works fine though, it just happens occasionally.

I'm not sure about the voltage because it works for my 1500x. Maybe you have some Cpu that has higher minimum clock voltage, so when you add .02v, you get higher voltage.

For fans, did you calibrate them?
If yes, please tell me what settings you have used for fan curve (4 values).

I wouldn't call that a fan curve, i'd rather say it's a fan line

I'm not sure about the voltage because it works for my 1500x. Maybe you have some Cpu that has higher minimum clock voltage, so when you add .02v, you get higher voltage.

For fans, did you calibrate them?
If yes, please tell me what settings you have used for fan curve (4 values).

Yes I did calibrate them. Values are:
Fan Ctrl OFF (°C): 30 [Set this myself.]
Fan Ctrl ON (°C): 40 [Set this myself as well. It seems that setting these temperatures to slightly higher-than-default values make the fans spin slower when the system is idling, but that could be placebo on my part.]
Fan Ctrl Start Value: 50 [This is what the mobo suggests after calibrating, meaning 50/255, roughly equalling 20% speed.]
Fan Ctrl Sensitive: 36 [Also the suggested value, but the description of this value is rather uninformative. Does anybody know what this really does?]

I have been busy tweaking in the BIOS and can't say that I have found a rock solid configuration yet. I have now manually set the RAM voltage to 1.35V, or rather the closest possible value which is around 1.37V. The system would not boot properly everytime with the XMP profile in place, and then one time I saw in the BIOS that it had loaded the XMP profile for 3200MHz, but the voltage was still at ~1.21V. So, no wonder that didn't work well. Let's hope this keeps working, and then I'll start overclocking the CPU again. For now, I want to see if it can consistently boot and perform properly with the XMP profile in place at ~1.37V RAM voltage.

So, it is a bit of a bumpy ride with this motherboard... I hope Biostar will continue improving the BIOS. At least we now have the newest AGESA, so they haven't completely abandoned this board yet. You can tell that this new AGESA 1.0.0.6 exposes a tremendous amount of memory settings, if you look at it in the O.N.E. screen.

On a different note, I finally found the option to disable the onboard sound chip. It's in a rather peculiar place, under the Chipset tab > Northbridge > GFX Configuration > And finally there you can disable the on-board audio chip (under GFX, how logical?).

This MoBo's BIOS sucks a lot
1. Lot's of options have absolutely no explanation
2. No fan curve to control fan, only linear dependency
3. No way to set voltages manually, only offsets from predefined list
4. After booting Windows it drains all the voltage it can. My VCore is at 1.34, and VID is at 1.55, so CPU gets really hot, although there is no workload on a CPU at all, it doesn't drop it's clock either. I have to open my browser, and than voltages\clocks switch to dynamic mode from static

Back