Biostar P965 or Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

tomtbone

n00b
I am building a new computer with C2D 6300.

I have these two mobos in mindL Biostar P965 and Gigabyte P965-S3. Here's my dilemna, I can't get the Biostar here in the US. Should I wait for the Biostar or should I just get the S3 and stop waiting. Which one is better in your minds?

Thanks in advance.

S3 pretty much is D3 without solid state caps. Just make sure ur memory can boot at low voltage and then increase if necessary.

Who know when the biostar will be available.

MC FLMJIG said:
S3 pretty much is D3 without solid state caps. Just make sure ur memory can boot at low voltage and then increase if necessary.

Who know when the biostar will be available.
so are you saying to go with the S3?

I would go with Gigabyte over Biostar unless you are just strapped for money.

U really have no choice. Biostar board is not out and who knows when it's coming. It's been coming 4 ever. How long do you plan on staying with the MB? If you plan on staying with it for a LONG time go the D3 for the solid state caps = 4-5 years life + longer.

so, the extra 30 bucks is worth it then for the caps?

quick price check w/shipping:
S3=115
DS=145

How long do you plan on staying with it? IF you plan on staying with it for a loing time... D3.

I'm thinking the S3 simply becasue I would probably get a different mobo within a year.

well, probably 3-4 years, which is the supposed lifespan of the S3, maybe I will just go with that, there doesn't seem to be any other performance gains with the DS3.

if i had to buy one today i would likely get either the ds-3 or the s-3 simply because i can't find the biostar 965's anywhere--otherwise it would be a toss up

.the solid caps might be a plus. but the current crop of capisitors don't seem to have that many problems--and other makers are using the solid caps--they just don't advertise the fact . it seems like i saw of a DFI with a sis chipset running solid caps somewhere. i'm sure more makers will adopt them if they prove to be the cure and not ths cause--lol

the funny thing is that biostar T-force 945's are showing up in retail?--LOL

isnce i'm waiting on the 4300's i suppose I could wait a bit longer for the biostar--but by the janyary 4300's there are likely to be 965's from every manufactor everywhere going for penuts.
and although i'm not certain of this-- there may be some revisions of the 965 chipsets in the comming months--which may or may not be enough reason to hold off for a little while.

MC FLMJIG said:
Biostar board is not out and who knows when it's coming. It's been coming 4 ever..
oh it's out, just apparently not in the US.
certainly available in Europe.

MC FLMJIG said:
Just make sure ur memory can boot at low voltage and then increase if necessary.
So SHould I look for memory that says 1.8v instead of 2.2v?
I found this memory for a really good price at ZipZoomFly .

This memory however was not listed on the Crucial website for the S3 or DS3 motherboard. What is wrong with it?

I have that... I have no problems and it boots, for me at least, at 1.8. However I wouldn't keep it there.

Go to eclipseoc.com, I believe, to learn a bit more about it.

MC FLMJIG said:
I have that... I have no problems and it boots, for me at least, at 1.8. However I wouldn't keep it there.

Go to eclipseoc.com, I believe, to learn a bit more about it.
That review there looks pretty good, good to see you can boot it at 1.8v. Maybe I will pick this up for this great price.

The Biostar TForce P965 motherboard should be available in November. It will support Kentsfield when it's released.

tomtbone said:
so, the extra 30 bucks is worth it then for the caps?

quick price check w/shipping:
S3=115
DS=145

It's up to you as both motherboards support Kentsfield.

The Doc said:
The Biostar TForce P965 motherboard should be available in November. It will support Kentsfield when it's released.
where did you hear that from? people at biostar USA didn't have a clue.

seems like it iwll be drop-in for any p965

There's an article at Anandtech.com that has a listing of Kentsfield compatiable motherboards and the Biostar TForce P965 made the list.

well now I see where it says November.. still gonna go with the giga...don't want to wait that long..especially since the S3/DS3 has a lot of kinks already worked out.

tomtbone said:
well now I see where it says November.. still gonna go with the giga...don't want to wait that long..especially since the S3/DS3 has a lot of kinks already worked out.

I agree.

The Doc said:
There's an article at Anandtech.com that has a listing of Kentsfield compatiable motherboards and the Biostar TForce P965 made the list.

Well, current boards are becoming Kentsfield-comptaible via BIOS updates, so I don't really think it's an issue of the TForce P965 not being released until November because of anything related to Kentsfield.

i was reading up on a fourm called 'rebels haven" anyway they have been overclocking core 2 for the last few months --they have used a dfi-975x , a abit aw9- a gigabyte s-965p.

running water the dfi made 400fsb the abit had all kinds of problems never made it to 400fsb.
the cheap gigabyte s-3 got way over 450-fsb and topped out over 500fsb ! there was a ds-3 by a member there that also made 525fsb .

so the gigabytes ain't looking bad at all right now and there not even expensive either . i think that will be my next mb-- :cool:

nothing wrong with biostar, they are one of the lower priced brands that actually don't shit out on you. If your looking for Value the new Epox sounds good too.

Back