Biostar motherboard power problem

chaarlieee

n00b
I have had this problem on two different Biostar motherboards. I've never seen this problem with other motherboards.

Anyway, right now the board I'm using is a MCP6P M2+. I can get my computer running with this board. The issue is that when I shut it down, I can't turn it back on by pressing the power button on my case. I have to flip the power supply switch off, then flip it back on, then press the power button on the case to get my computer to boot up again. I can also flip the switch off then on on the power strip/surge protector/etc, then press the power button to turn the computer on.

I have another MCP6P M2+ that does not have this problem (these boards came from Fry's combos, I would never buy one of these). There definitely is nothing wrong with my memory, processor, or power supply because those parts have been running flawless for over year.

I plan on going back to Fry's to get a replacement, but I just wanted to see if anyone here has known about this issue, or if anyone knows why it happens. I read that it could be because the board has cheap capacitors, which I can replace myself, but I'll just take it back to Fry's for a new one.

Never seen this problem before but I have seen case switches cause some strange problems. I had a bad reset switch once that caused the computer to randomly reboot. I replaced everything in it before I zeroed in on the switch. I unplugged it from the MB, problem solved.

Nothing wrong with the power supply? I'm guessing what you mean is that since you've started having problems with this board, you've tried to reproduce it with the same PSU on another similar board.

I've seen this problem type of problem many times and its often the power supply.

I read a post from a Fry's employee that said many of these Biostar combo boards are returned as defective.

I vote with Dan.....bad boards from the get-go. ;)

Well it's definitely not the power supply, I have been using it for a while. The power supply wasn't even taken out of my case from my last setup, I just swapped the board and processor.

It's also not the case's power button because that button worked just fine with my last setup. And my computer is pretty much the same as it was before, other than the processor and motherboard. The processor and board were brand new in box, just purchased a week ago from Fry's.

Just wanted to see if anyone knew why it was the motherboard.

Anyway, it's going back tomorrow. I definitely believe that a lot of these Biostar boards at Fry's get returned. And like I said, I've seen this problem with two Biostar boards. Both of these boards were from Fry's combos. (I do have one working Biostar board).

Fry's isn't known for good QA. The good thing is, you can keep returning it until you get a working one; and if they have no new ones left, you can get a refund without a restocking fee. If they make you return the CPU (if it was a combo), you can just RMA the board with Biostar instead.

Back