BioShock's Breathtaking First 14 Minutes, Remastered

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I hate the fact that the BioShock remaster is part of a collection you’ll need to pay $60 for, but the first game does look worthy of a revisit. The commentary, most of which is just annoying, does point out some minor differences from the original, such as the addition of a jellyfish swarm in the intro.

and it's FREE for PC (for those that already own the game on Steam)...I've had the disc version for years but bought the digital Steam version during the last Steam sale for $2.71 specifically because I knew the remaster was coming in September

"Look Mr. Bubbles, it's an angel." I always liked that part of the beginning.

Awesome, I have Bioshock and Bioshock 2 on Steam, so I get the remastered version for free.

Oh yea, that reminds me, both Bioshock and Infinite are still in my backlogs.

I'm waiting for it to play through BioShock 2 since I never finished it. I finished the first one and Infinite though.

Hmm guess I'm out of luck owning the games for windows versions.

Cool. I have 1 and 2 via Steam. I started playing the first one, didn't get super far. Wasn't into it at the time. Will try again if I'm getting an update.

Just wanted to see the gameplay... didn't need some 25 year old narrating his short gaming history :(. It honestly didn't look much different than my memory of the game (Im sure its significantly better), but for those of you who haven't played 1 and Infinite are must plays. 2 is great, but can be passed...

I'm guessing this is free on PC because there won't be much difference. The guy in the video said that it was being played on a console, it looks about as good as it does on the original PC version, so I'll be interested to see what the changes are in the PC versions.

Such a phenomenal series of games. :greyalien:

I actually didn't play through them all until right after Infinite came out since I got it for free with my video card. I don't have time to play a lot of video games anymore, but I ended up buying the rest and played through them within a week.

I re-play 1 and 2 at least once a year. Infinity... less often, but still now and then.

Really looking forward to this, especially the original.

Loved the first one, but I was never able to get into the second. Adored Infinity right up until the dimensional shifting started to change the whole world.

Loved the first one, but I was never able to get into the second. Adored Infinity right up until the dimensional shifting started to change the whole world.
Yup. I played about halfway through Bioshock 2 but got bored with it. Not sure if I'll give it another go. Agree on BS 1&3. I didn't care for the ending battle in Bioshock Infinite but overall it was a great game.

ugg, played on console...

why i am not seeing much of a difference?

Video here has some comparisons from the trailer and the original version of the game.

Need to use Chrome to get 1080p quality settings for it I think,

A lot of it looks like they added items to fill out a lot of the emptiness and changed the lighting.

Hard to tell until I get it up and running personally though.

I've never played it. Better late than never?

I'd recommend Bioshock to anyone.. and this is a great time to snag it if you're going to, and get the visual upgrade in the process.

Did they fix the issue where most of the controls couldn't be remapped in 1&2, and attempting to do so just broke the game?

The lighting looks far more atmospheric in the original to me. Also looks like they barely changed any models or textures.

lame for a remaster lol.....as in not bad but not any better either

I was hoping this would be a complete REDUX with a newer game engine. Bioshock is probably my all time favorite FPS game.

I'd recommend Bioshock to anyone.. and this is a great time to snag it if you're going to, and get the visual upgrade in the process.

Yeah, there are few games that really hits every aspect of what makes one great. Great story, great graphics, great combat, etc. It left you wanting more when you finished the game.

It seems it went off the rails with BS infinite. Still not sure what the heck that was all about. The return to Rapture in the DLC was nice.

the environment's look way better but the textures of enemies don't. The big daddy that they show a close up of near the start of the video looks way better I think in the original.

Do yourself a favor and play them both. :) I haven't played the first one, but Infinite was great.

I played both for an hour or so but neither gave me that System Shock 2 feel so forgot about them. Time to dust off the cobwebs and see if they hook me this time, I'm certainly not buying any remastered versions though.

I enjoyed System Shock but just couldn't get into Bioshock at all, the intro didn't grab me and the gameplay even after I fixed the stupid FOV and audio issues just didn't feel like anything special... I dunno maybe it doesn't get interesting until a few hours into it?... *shrugs*

I enjoyed System Shock but just couldn't get into Bioshock at all, the intro didn't grab me and the gameplay even after I fixed the stupid FOV and audio issues just didn't feel like anything special... I dunno maybe it doesn't get interesting until a few hours into it?... *shrugs*
Well it never gets as good as system shock. It actually feels like an underwater rip-off of it, even the story twist is similar. But it's a pretty good game for it's time. The second is the same with more action, and less story, not really worth mentioning. And infinite is a generic cod like shooter, with a clever story that you either love or hate. Sadly I was in the latter group, so the whole game felt like a waste of time to me.

the first Bioshock is an all time classic and the definition of perfect story based gameplay

Well it never gets as good as system shock. It actually feels like an underwater rip-off of it, even the story twist is similar. But it's a pretty good game for it's time. The second is the same with more action, and less story, not really worth mentioning. And infinite is a generic cod like shooter, with a clever story that you either love or hate. Sadly I was in the latter group, so the whole game felt like a waste of time to me.

I consider it an unofficial remake. Which, I deduct points from it for not being honest. Like, I don't care if it's a remake, but don't hold it to "original status" if you're technically just redoing something you already did.

Back