Bioshock texture issues/game crashing.

_PixelNinja

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi there!

I was offered Bioshock during this week's 2K sales on Steam. At first the game would not launch but I managed to sort that out (enabling Realtek Stereo Mix in the control panel). Now the game runs but I experience the following:

• Texture issues - I get weird black triangles flickering here and there, or sometimes what seems to be in the form of body parts
  • The main character's hands are transparent
  • The weapon in my hands become invisible
  • The game eventually crashes
  • The game does not retain options (ex: modified controls)

Has anybody experienced any of these issues and found any fixes? I've done everything I can from trying all combinations possible in the graphic options to modifying the options in the Nvidia control panel to no avail. My drivers are all up to date. I have also searched over on all the messageboards I can think of without finding any information. This is driving me crazy :eek:

The system is the one in my signature running on Windows 7 64.

Last edited:
I tried disabling all AA options in the Nvidia control panel, it did not change anything :(

You can try downgrading to a different GPU driver. Are you having issues in any other games?

Are your temps ok? Have you had any GPU driver crashes lately? Have you tried verifying the game cache through steam? One or more of the files could be corrupt.

I would also try running the game in compatibility mode for Vista SP2.

I found this on google. Hope it helps
http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/856450-steam-bioshock-problems.html

You can try downgrading to a different GPU driver. Are you having issues in any other games?

I haven't tried this. I am not having any problems whatsoever in other games - everything else works flawlessly.

Are your temps ok? Have you had any GPU driver crashes lately? Have you tried verifying the game cache through steam? One or more of the files could be corrupt.

Temperatures are fine. I have had no GPU driver crashes, or even any crashes of any kind at all since I have put this computer together. I have verified the game cache trough Steam, it is intact.

I would also try running the game in compatibility mode for Vista SP2.

I tried this and no difference - the game runs but everything is still a mess.

I tried everything in there but I still have issues. I'll see if I can record a video through Fraps to to show exactly what I'm seeing in game.

Thanks for your help in any case!

Last edited:
Don´t format. It´s simple texture glitches that can be solved without formatting. Usually it´s one of these four things:

1. GPU overclock failed/heat issue (underclock your card to find out)
2. driver issue (try different drivers - i tried several for Bioshock 1 when i had an nVidia card)
3. AA issue (turn it all off in the drivers, especially adaptive AA and such!!)
4. missing texture issue (doesn´t look like it as the texture is there but flickers)

Since my GTX 570 is and always has been at stock settings and no problems occur running other games it shouldn't be the first; GPU Z is reporting normal temperatures (~35°C idle/~75°C load). I have turned all AA off and set the parameters to being 'controlled by the 3D program' in the Nvidia parameters, and like you said - the textures are there so they can't be missing.

This leaves me with trying different drivers, so I'll experiment with that.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Last edited:
Back