BioShock - How to switch plasmid and get new slots *spoiler

Chapter 2. Medical Pavilion

Ok so, i reached the first Gatherer's Garden after i saved the Little Sister since i'm merciful :rolleyes: *this is near the very end of Chapter 2. Medival Pavilion.

I buy the plasmids but then run out of slots.

So how on earth do i change to another Plasmid i had earlier ????

The answer is the Gene Bank which is available in the next chapter after this one.

Chapter 3. Neptune's Bounty

each gatherer's garden seems to have a set selection of stuff you can buy from it, so you will only be able to buy extra slots when you find the appropriate gatherer's garden.

The 2nd area - Neptunes Bounty has a Gatherer's Garden where you can buy an extra plasmid slot.

then you are able to buy plasmid slots for 100 ADAM. You may have to have harvested/saved 3 or more little sisters.

yeah went back and found. its just called plasmid slot, and its at the top.

The first Gene Bank you find is at the begining of Neptune's Bounty.

Anyway i hope that clears some questions everyone was asking about how to switch to other plasmids that aren't in a slot, and how to get more slots for them :D

Plasmid/Tonic FAQ
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/924919/49886

BioShock Walkthrough Guide
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/924919/49919

Trainer
*Get this from Cheat Happens website :x

Anyone that doesn't know how to do this after a few hours of playing the game isn't paying attention, wake up people.

thanks i just got to the part where you get the third plasmid and I was wondering why it replaced one of them. I figured it was a bug but i guess not.

Also another tip. There will be upgrade vending machines, where you can buy more plasmid slots with Adam that you acquire.

You can also buy slots for other upgrades too. Like right now, I have higher ability for sneaking with a wrench, more damage with the wrench to unsuspecting victims, more damage with the wrench, my wrench can freeze enemies, less damage from melee attacks, and I release damaging electricity whenever someone melee attacks me.

It rocks too, as big daddies have a hard time trying to kill me. I just side step when they rush and beat them with my wrench until they freeze. I think it's roughly every 3rd or 4th hit that causes freezing. So I can constantly hit a big daddy and refreeze him. Doesn't do a whole lot of damage though. Does give me enough time to shoot something inbetween refreezing.

ZOMG! Are you trying to kill him in the game? The mouse moves your view up and down. There's no way it rotates your view. That's like...too much movement for one devices. :eek::eek:

i cant believe there would be ppl having problems of not know how to get another plasmid slot?!?! if they are having problems either they are not pc gamers ... 2. new to pc gaming.. or 3. super old and have a hardtime understanding... thsi game is meant to give you puzzles and test your skills.. damn..

Guys I just got Bioshock but I heard I have to install it to play. How do I do that? :confused:

Did you take the game out of the packaging? It has like...plastic wrapped around it. From there, you'll need to insert it into your computer's cup holder. Ya, I know. That's like, super weird and all. From there...I don't know. I'm still looking through the manual on what I'm suppose to do.

Well i didn't get any info how to flip through Plasmids i've already collected and change Plasmids once i've filled up my slots already, or how to get more slots o_O; until i reached Chapter 2.

I think it's pretty good info so people don't swap out a plasmid they will need to use for Chapter 1 cauz then you'd be in trouble :D

The fact is you won't know at what chapters in the point of the game you will be able to get more slots, or when you will first be able to use the first Gene Bank .....

If you know already good for you, this is only for those who didn't :eek:

It helped DrewRosenHouse :D

I think chpt 1 and 2 are there to just get players use to having plasmids. I really wish there was an easier way to swap between all the weapons and plasmids during gameplay, but I can't even think of anything myself. The Function keys are kind of out of the way.

I also hate how plasmids aren't binded to specific Function keys. F1 can easily be Electricity, Flame, or whatever you happen to have in slot one.

Had to rebind keys too, as some just felt weird to me. It's all personal choice though. Like crouch being C. It's pretty standard in games, but I've gotten so use to Ctrl being crouch, that I swapped it to that. It works better for me also, cause I don't know how many times I'd press C, instead of V for hacking. Now hacking is binded to C.

Maybe I should get one of those gamer keyboard things or something. Would put the Function keys closer to my fingers.

I think that the issue that people have (and which I also had) was that you get three plasmids long before you get any Adam, upgraded slots or introduced to gene banks. As far as I was concerned my incinerate plasmid just disappeared into thin air. You didn't even get the option of putting the third plasmid in a gene bank at that point. You were forced to replace electric or fire plasmid with telekenesis for about half of the first level. It was really badly managed, especially when you lost your incinerate only minutes after getting it!

In fact there is no way at all to view your slotted plasmids outside of a gene bank (the buff ones I mean, not the weapon plasmids). I found that, when faced with a Gatherer's Garden later in the game, I struggled to remember just which buff plasmids and what levels of each I had slotted. It was very difficult to make a purchase of some random engineering plasmid that removes 2 of these tiles and 1 of those, when I coudn't view my other five engineering plasmids and weigh up the pros and cons of swapping in this new one. So I would have to look at this new plasmid, slog all the way across a level to the gene bank, fighting respawn-a-mobs en route, look at the plasmids I had, then slog back to the GG to purchase the new one. (Which then miraculously let me see all my plasmids when I replaced one, just like I would at the gene bank!!) Ridiculous!

But it's ok everyone because this game got 100% in some reviews!

Well i didn't get any info how to flip through Plasmids i've already collected and change Plasmids once i've filled up my slots already, or how to get more slots o_O; until i reached Chapter 2.

That's probably because you're playing with a pirate copy and didn't have a manual to read that explains it all.

If your copy is legit, then next time just RTFM.

it sucked for me because the telekinesis plasmid replaced the electricity plasmid so it made it a bitch to fight those mounted rpg's. I don't like the fact you cant swap them out in the slots freely.

If your copy is legit, then next time just RTFM.

im pretty sure most pirate game come with pdf manual. besides i thought this game had some amazing protection thats uncrackable>?

it sucked for me because the telekinesis plasmid replaced the electricity plasmid so it made it a bitch to fight those mounted rpg's. I don't like the fact you cant swap them out in the slots freely.

You can choose to put them in the gene bank though, and if you're replacing an existing plasmid or gene tonic you can choose which one to swap. Also, pretty much every gatherer's garden will be situated near a gene bank.

I think that the issue that people have (and which I also had) was that you get three plasmids long before you get any Adam, upgraded slots or introduced to gene banks. As far as I was concerned my incinerate plasmid just disappeared into thin air. You didn't even get the option of putting the third plasmid in a gene bank at that point. You were forced to replace electric or fire plasmid with telekenesis for about half of the first level. It was really badly managed, especially when you lost your incinerate only minutes after getting it!

In fact there is no way at all to view your slotted plasmids outside of a gene bank (the buff ones I mean, not the weapon plasmids). I found that, when faced with a Gatherer's Garden later in the game, I struggled to remember just which buff plasmids and what levels of each I had slotted. It was very difficult to make a purchase of some random engineering plasmid that removes 2 of these tiles and 1 of those, when I coudn't view my other five engineering plasmids and weigh up the pros and cons of swapping in this new one. So I would have to look at this new plasmid, slog all the way across a level to the gene bank, fighting respawn-a-mobs en route, look at the plasmids I had, then slog back to the GG to purchase the new one. (Which then miraculously let me see all my plasmids when I replaced one, just like I would at the gene bank!!) Ridiculous!

But it's ok everyone because this game got 100% in some reviews!

Exactly !!!

So those of us just new to game wouldn't know this compared to those already a few chapters ahead. So when my plasmid dissapeared and i check shop again i couldn't find my PLASMID !!! :d

And spine you didn't contribute to the thread, shoo go away :rolleyes:

Ok another thing everyone should know about Chapter - Neptune. Near the end after you kill Peach, you encounter the first upgrade weapons machine. Once you've picked something, the machine is LOCKED !!!!

Make sure you save before you choose. So you can try out which one you like.

According to gamefaqs.com they said the Machine gun anti recoil upgrade is the most useless.

Everything else is fine, it is just a matter of preference. However i wouldn't recommend getting handgun upgrade first, especially wrench !!! t. People recommended shotgun upgrade to take out big daddys better. I personally prefer machine gune upgrade since it is my favourite weapon of choice :]

Also another thing to be aware of starting from Chapter Medical Pavilion. When your given the choice to kill or save little sisters.

There are 3 endings to the game these are based on

1. saving all the little sisters
2. killing all the little sisters
3. a mixture of both

So if you want a certain ending then make sure you stick strictly to it :]

To save a little sister you must kill the big daddy. Don't be afraid that a stray bullet will hit little sister because she has a tendency to stay behind big daddy in line of fire. She is invulnerable while big daddy is alive :x So kill big daddy, then approach the little sister and press the key it prompts out to either save her.

I noticed though when i used the Big Daddy Bodyguard Plasmid, i couldn't save the little sister !!! She then crawled into the vent and escaped !!!! So be careful :x

Sorry, but the way you started this thread it was like, "OMG HOW TO CHANGE PLASMID SLOT SPOLIER ALERT WTF LOL !!!11" kinda made think you were just some noob who had suddenly 'found' god or something and just had to share/force it onto everyone. So I apologise.

But yeah, it's a good point about the first time you get the telekinesis plasmid and have to lose one of your good ones. I found telekinesis to be the most useless other than for helping scavenge. I always kept it just for that, grudgingly.

I'm pretty sure the weapon upgrade one hit and it's locked system is explained in the manual. I don't remember it being a surprise to me when it happened.

Also, can you actually kill the little sisters? I've never tried. I just assumed they were invincible, or at least invincible until the big daddy dies. The amount of grenades and other firepower I'd throw at the big daddies led me to think that.

*** Spoiler Alert *** (small black text below, highlight to read. Don't read if you haven't finished the game!)

Funny how the tables are turned at the end where you have to protect a little sister and suddenly she's really easily hurt/killed. Typical double standards in games, really annoying.

*** End spoiler. ***

And since we're nitpicking now, the big daddy bodyguard plasmid is the most annoying. It's SO buggy making it ridiculously annoying. More often than not it's just simply a way to get a big daddy to surprise attack you rather than have you hearing them a mile off.

While under your 'spell' and as your body guard;

• If you have a turret on your side and a stray bullet hits him, he'll immediately and unrelentingly attack you.
• If a security bot you hacked does the same he'll attack you.
• If a splicer you set on fire runs into him and the fire does damage (usually does) he'll attack you.

Almost every time I had a big daddy follow me it always ended with him suddenly turning on me and thus me having to waste resources in killing him for no adam. Also, to add insult to injury he has no problem with running into you and doing damage or shooting a proximity mine at you or fire through you with a shotgun.

That plasmid is definitely more trouble than it's worth. When using it I was constantly just looking back watching him all the time to make sure he hadn't suddenly turned on me.

One thing about swapping items - it's actually MUCH cleaner and easier using the 360's menu. If you use the 360 pad for the PC version, it actually turns that menu on.
By default, the normal "scroll through items" way of swapping plasmids and weapons seems like a hassle to me. Especially when trying combo-style attacks. Personally I turned on the menu that allows you to select which weapon/plasmid/ammo all on the same screen. It's not as clean as the 360's radial menu, BUT it's actually more multi-functional. I ended up setting that function to my mouse wheel. Yes, it's kind of lame to pause the game to do any swapping - but it's still better than having to scroll through 4-5 plasmids really quickly.

But yeah, it's a good point about the first time you get the telekinesis plasmid and have to lose one of your good ones. I found telekinesis to be the most useless other than for helping scavenge. I always kept it just for that, grudgingly.

Funny enough - I use that one for almost everything :) Once I realized how strong it was, I just stopped using weapons and would grab anything handy and throw it at enemies. Items like chairs and rocks will kill almost any slicer in a hit or two. Ditto for cameras and the machinegun pods. My wife is more of a strategic player (rather than an FPS player) and it was all her idea. Now I end up using that power and the wrench more than anything else.

One thing about swapping items - it's actually MUCH cleaner and easier using the 360's menu. If you use the 360 pad for the PC version, it actually turns that menu on.
By default, the normal "scroll through items" way of swapping plasmids and weapons seems like a hassle to me. Especially when trying combo-style attacks. Personally I turned on the menu that allows you to select which weapon/plasmid/ammo all on the same screen. It's not as clean as the 360's radial menu, BUT it's actually more multi-functional. I ended up setting that function to my mouse wheel. Yes, it's kind of lame to pause the game to do any swapping - but it's still better than having to scroll through 4-5 plasmids really quickly.

I found it to be much harder on the 360 version to hack machines, using a mouse makes it so much easier.

Sorry, but the way you started this thread it was like, "OMG HOW TO CHANGE PLASMID SLOT SPOLIER ALERT WTF LOL !!!11" kinda made think you were just some noob who had suddenly 'found' god or something and just had to share/force it onto everyone. So I apologise.

I'm pretty sure the weapon upgrade one hit and it's locked system is explained in the manual. I don't remember it being a surprise to me when it happened.

Also, can you actually kill the little sisters? I've never tried. I just assumed they were invincible, or at least invincible until the big daddy dies. The amount of grenades and other firepower I'd throw at the big daddies led me to think that.

*** Spoiler Alert *** (small black text below, highlight to read. Don't read if you haven't finished the game!)

Funny how the tables are turned at the end where you have to protect a little sister and suddenly she's really easily hurt/killed. Typical double standards in games, really annoying.

*** End spoiler. ***

yoda1_bg.jpg

= This is a real picture of what Spine looks like :D ROFLCOPTERS!

*kept the picture cauz it seriously is funny :D haha.

Anyway here are some graphics and audio tweaks :X

http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_1.html

Funny enough - I use that one for almost everything :) Once I realized how strong it was, I just stopped using weapons and would grab anything handy and throw it at enemies. Items like chairs and rocks will kill almost any slicer in a hit or two. Ditto for cameras and the machinegun pods. My wife is more of a strategic player (rather than an FPS player) and it was all her idea. Now I end up using that power and the wrench more than anything else.

Interesting. I never really explored using like the grav gun in HL2. My favourite plasmid/tactic is the incinerate. See a splicer, light 'em up, walk away. Let 'em burn in their own time and no need to fire a single shot. Plus, if they're weak and run rather than shoot, it gives you a good chance to get up close and take a photo as they burn while they're alive. Taking photos and getting the extra damage from the research is vital. Especially against big daddies and Nitro Splicers.

Sorry but i just don't understand why your here if your only agenda is to pick a fight :confused: If the topic didn't help you just move on is that so hard to do huh ? Yeah your such a pro.

Now go get a life

:rolleyes:

yoda1_bg.jpg

= This is a real picture of what Spine looks like :D

What the hell? I was apologising for judging you too quickly and you quote that as some sort of attack?

Oh... my bad :D sorry i am just defensive.

1064289152021369720S425x425Q85.jpg

Anyway im on break from Bioshock. Working up on some more courage before i take on another bioshock spree :D

Interesting. I never really explored using like the grav gun in HL2. My favourite plasmid/tactic is the incinerate. See a splicer, light 'em up, walk away. Let 'em burn in their own time and no need to fire a single shot. Plus, if they're weak and run rather than shoot, it gives you a good chance to get up close and take a photo as they burn while they're alive. Taking photos and getting the extra damage from the research is vital. Especially against big daddies and Nitro Splicers.

The great thing about the game is that you can do things so many ways :) With Big Daddies I tend to just fire 3-4 grenades followed by strafing their charge and then a bunch of exploding buckshot.
For Nitor Splicers, I actually use the wrench! I have it powered up to heal me, freeze enemies, and do extra damage. I pretty much just wail on them and I get my health back faster faster than they can take it. If they get a distance and start running, then I use the telekenesis to throw the molotovs back at them. Those do do all that much damage, but it occasionally knocks them down so I can wrench 'em.

The great thing about the game is that you can do things so many ways :) With Big Daddies I tend to just fire 3-4 grenades followed by strafing their charge and then a bunch of exploding buckshot.
For Nitor Splicers, I actually use the wrench! I have it powered up to heal me, freeze enemies, and do extra damage. I pretty much just wail on them and I get my health back faster faster than they can take it. If they get a distance and start running, then I use the telekenesis to throw the molotovs back at them. Those do do all that much damage, but it occasionally knocks them down so I can wrench 'em.

Nice, yeah I kinda ignored all the wrench powerups and always tried to keep my distance as much as possible. I always had the hack health gene tonic and just went around hacking absolutely everything. I left so many unused health kits throughout the levels as a result.

Next time I play through I think I'll give the wrench method a go I reckon. Does the sneak powerup really work? I never tried it 'cos it seemed to me the splicers always automatically know you're coming. I'll hear them make some attack rant before I even enter a room, then moments later they'll appear screaming.

Oh... my bad :D sorry i am just defensive.

1064289152021369720S425x425Q85.jpg

Anyway im on break from Bioshock. Working up on some more courage before i take on another bioshock spree :D

No worries mate. ;)

;)

Oh i got one problem with BioShock.

If your game crashes, all your settings are reset !!! Ok it seems that to avoid the reset, you need to go inside the BioShock folder and delete some file that will make the game reset the settings :eek: the site i gave earlier explains it.

:eek:

My settings get randomly erased sometimes even if it doesn't crash dammit! So annoying. Yet some of the key bindings are kept whilst others are not. All video and audio will be defaulted though. I thought I was the only one who had this happen. I just assumed it was my shitty DFI nf3 getting too long in the tooth...

*edit*

Actually it might be that I sometimes ALT+F4 out rather than exiting 'properly'. ALT+F4 is a standard windows command for simply closing an app, it's not inherently forced by nature. I hate having to navigate menus asking if I really really really wanna quit. I'd rather just quit.

Next time I play through I think I'll give the wrench method a go I reckon. Does the sneak powerup really work? I never tried it 'cos it seemed to me the splicers always automatically know you're coming. I'll hear them make some attack rant before I even enter a room, then moments later they'll appear screaming.

Yeah, what you can do is actually zap them with the shock or freeze or even circle strafe them while they're either shocked or frozen. It seems to have the extra damaging effect any time you hit them from behind regardless of how you got there. It's not huge, but it makes a difference on the slicers that take a lot of hits.

Yeah, what you can do is actually zap them with the shock or freeze or even circle strafe them while they're either shocked or frozen. It seems to have the extra damaging effect any time you hit them from behind regardless of how you got there. It's not huge, but it makes a difference on the slicers that take a lot of hits.

Ahhh, so it's literally a matter of hitting them from behind and not 'technically' having the AI notice you or whatever. That's certainly good to know.

I've played through Bioshock as good and bad guy. I must say, the wrench with powerups is by far, one of the most powerful weapons you have. It's worthless against Big Daddies though.

Here's what I have installed. Don't remember the names of them all.

Wrench Jockey (increases damage from wrench)
Wrench Jockey 1
Frozen Field ( chance to freeze enemies with the wrench)
Frozen Field 1
Wrench Lurker (quiets footsteps and increases damage from wrench, but only on unsuspecting victims)
Wrench Lurker 2
Chameleon (invisible when standing still)
Speed Increase (not the actual name, but increases your movement speeds, including how fast you swing your wrench)
Speed Increase 2
Bloodlust (gain health when attacking opponents with your wrench)

I have more, but those are the most noteable for use with the wrench. Chameleon is great. You simply sit still, wait for the enemy to come near you, snap a picture, then wack them in the face.

You definitely want to do picture research. You'll gain increased damage on enemies and also pick up powerup tonics. I received the chameleon ability from research on Houdini Splicers.

Only problem with the game I've seen, is how it's actually pretty closed (for the good guy ending anyways). Would make an expansion kind of hard. Guess if they base it off the bad guy ending, they can roll with it. Or a prequel based off his missions as an assassin. Like maybe some government was going to mess with Rapture, but they send him in to kill the threat off.

Probably get a new vidcard so I can turn every single option onto max.

Back