Bioshock for $20 ahould I?

I bought it but am still on the first level. Hopefully I'll get it when I get rid of my addiction to Grid however I'm going to be buying MotoGP 08 in a few days so if thats good it may take me a good while before I get into it.

There is pros and cons with each approach... the best is linear games that somehow manage to fool you they are not lol. Call of Duty is definiatly way to linear there is one and only one solution. Bioshock is nice because you have tons of different options on how to fight however it still is focused and nicely scripted... It´s a bit like crysis the combat is non linear even though the environments are not. Even though of course Crysis is a LOT more open but who the heck want open environments in games like Bioshock? Would ruin the atmosphere completely.

Actually, the linearity of the game is part of the storyline. But I don't want to spoil it for you too much, but GushpinBob kinda hinted at it.

Personally, I could never get around the mouse accel issues to be able to get into the game.

i got it for about $15 or 20 ? on steam. the atmosphere is great along with the environments and such. you can tell a ton of detail was put into every section of the game. the game play is also fast enough where i didn't really get bored much.

i've only played it for about 5 hours ? i don't remember , but thats just a personal issue. still a great game imo.

If you have read books like 1984, Anthem, and Brave New World you will like the game and appreciate the storyline and atmosphere

By the way, in case anyone still might be interested in playing this game:

The default FOV of the game is 75, which I hate. FOV of 90 looks right, FOV of 75 looks terrible and wrong and feels wrong every time you turn around. Half-life 2 also had a default FOV of 75, but that was easy to change to the standard 90.

There is a player made patch out there which allows you to fix the default FOV, but it only works with the original 1.0 version of Bioshock. If anyone is interested, the file is called bioshockdfov.zip it is still available online in some places, at least as of now.

If you have read books like 1984, Anthem, and Brave New World you will like the game and appreciate the storyline and atmosphere

I don´t know this tends to work the other way... You know the book is always better then the movie since you make your own movie in your head. Of course you can´t make a story as deep as compelling so maybe you should say if you play Bioshock and like it´s story read these books :D

The game sucks IMO, but that's mostly because I've played SS2. If you've played SS2 I'd stay far away from this one, you'll be greatly disappointed. The only thing I think the game has going for it is the atmosphere and graphics. Everything else is reused from SS2 but dumbed way down. I could only get half way through before uninstalling, every time I think about playing it makes me feel sick. Definitely regret purchasing it.:mad:

The game sucks IMO, but that's mostly because I've played SS2. If you've played SS2 I'd stay far away from this one, you'll be greatly disappointed. The only thing I think the game has going for it is the atmosphere and graphics. Everything else is reused from SS2 but dumbed way down. I could only get half way through before uninstalling, every time I think about playing it makes me feel sick. Definitely regret purchasing it.:mad:

I played SS2 and loved it. I wish they would just do a remake of that game...the whole thing was so cool.. the ship felt huge and realistic.

I finished it yesterday. I am not a survival horror fan, but I loved this game! Definite buy at $20!

Just remembered if you have a ps3 I might recommend picking it up for that.

Added difficulty level and will have DLC.

Bioshock is definitely one of the better games that has been released these past few years.

Saying that, COD4 is a completely different type of game from it.

For $20, it is definitely worth it. Hope you enjoy it!

QFT - I just played through Bioshock my 2nd time (12 months later) and was still just as captivated and immersed by the story, atmosphere, and gameplay as I was the first time through.

DEFINITELY BUY IT !!!

Bioshock doesn't hold a candle to SS2.

That being said, Bioshock was still a great game IMHO. I agree that it was dumbed down in comparision with SS2, but I try not to compare the two since they are so different. If the game had been called SS3, then yes, I would have been disappointed. I think Bioshock has to be viewed separate from SS2, and then I could begin to accept it as a great game. Well, at least in comparision to most of the rest of the crap that gets released nowadays.

BTW, I don't play multiplayer, so I didn't care that Bioshock lacked the feature. MP gamers rave about CoD4, but I look at it as a good game that was WAY too short.

100% Agree...

I wanted to like Bioshock, but after playing SS2 and expecting something with the depth that it had, I was disappointed. While they fixed some of the things I had gripes about when I bought it (widescreen vert-, mouse accel, etc) the gameplay really never grabbed me in the way that SS2 gameplay did. The depth just wasn't there. I think the simplification of it probably had something to do with it being made for consoles as well, but the game wasn't the game I wanted it to be, and knew it could be.

I suppose if you've never played SS2, Bioshock would be worth $20, maybe.
I'd pay twice that though if I could purchase SS2 today.
Three times that amount if I could play a modern remake of SS2.

I'm not sure I'd pay $20 for Bioshock, knowing what lies in store for me.

Back