Bioshock Demo Runs Awesome

Stereophile

Supreme [H]ardness
Recommended spec will easily handle this game. Playing on high, I usually get 40-60 fps.

Do you get choppy water in the beginning? The water looked great except it stutters!!

Also, I had some serious frame rate drops when alot of water was on screen at once...I think it may because I had AA on and Bioshock wont let you toggle windows while its open...so I am going to disable AA and try again.

Wicked, I was wondering if I need to spend £300 on a video card to play this game.
Looks like I get to last another month lol.
ps my spec is [email protected], X1800PE, 2GB

You took like the worst possible screenshot. But glad to see demo is available...

You took like the worst possible screenshot. But glad to see demo is available...

I was admiring the effects on the stairs. The water looks great. You look out the various windows and it's like you're in a fish tank. :D

It runs really well at 1280x1024 all high settings (no AA/no AF) on my 3700+, 2gb RAM, 7800GT, Audigy 2ZS, 150 Raptor. (WinXP) I didn't use the beta drivers.

I believe the legit download begins in a few hours list 7pm PST or something.

WOW! I have played the demo on the following system:

Q6600 quad-core CPU @ 3.15ghz/core
4GB RAM under Vista 64-bit edition
eVGA 8800GTS 640 @ 600core/1550shader/1900ram
P5W DH Deluxe motherboard

DirectX 10, quad-core goodness! It looks and runs incredibly, and was a blast to play. I can't wait till tomorrow for the full game!

I'm still waiting for the key to unlock the demo, and it seems like everyone on the net is playing it already. Good fucking job Fileplanet. :rolleyes:

well i would love to play the bloody demo if fileplanet wouldn't have shit the bed. it downloaded lastnight while i was out for dinner and when i got home i tried to install it and just came up with a error. this really sucks.

oh and i dl'd the beta drivers for my 8800gts 320 and they seem to work well alround.

can't wait to for the demo to unlock

I'm still waiting for the key to unlock the demo, and it seems like everyone on the net is playing it already. Good fucking job Fileplanet. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's hilarious. I have the demo ready to play just getting in the mood. :D Only took me 45 minutes to download. Go to the gamespot forums for more info on getting a fast download speed and not through fileshit. Everyone their is also ranting up a storm about everyone playing it while they wait for their activations.

I was told the game defaults to X4 AF on high quality textures. (don't know if it's true)

I guess that could be true. In the demo there's no option for AF or AA in the menus so I just assumed it wasn't enabled. (I'm running XP - maybe it's different in Vista?)

EDIT: Gamer's Hell now has the demo.

Runs decent enough for me. Specs below - cpu and video card overclocked. 1680 resolution. New Nvidia drivers.

I get about 25-30 fps.

Bioshock3.jpg

Bioshock1.jpg

Bioshock2.jpg

I guess that could be true. In the demo there's no option for AF or AA in the menus so I just assumed it wasn't enabled. (I'm running XP - maybe it's different in Vista?)

AA doesn't work due to the shadowing method used by the game's usage of UT3. I forced 16x HQ AF in my setup though and it looks gorgeous. I really didn't notice the lack of AA even though I'm very sensitive to it normally. The game's just plain beautiful regardless.

I run the following:

4GB RAM under Vista 64-bit edition for DX10

at 1680x1050 resolution.

AA doesn't work due to the shadowing method used by the game's usage of UT3. I forced 16x HQ AF in my setup though and it looks gorgeous. I really didn't notice the lack of AA even though I'm very sensitive to it normally. The game's just plain beautiful regardless.

I run the following:

4GB RAM under Vista 64-bit edition for DX10

at 1680x1050 resolution.

I don't think my little 7800GT will like me if I force any level of AF. ;) You're right, the game looks good regardless. Thanks for the info.

Hey Guys,

I just played through the demo and I couldn't help but notice the lack of texture detail at times. Just seemed a little disappointing from certain aspects. Granted, some things looked great and very detailed, but other things just looked horribly bland. Maybe that is the style. I have an awesome machine since I put this Q6600 8800GTX build together and one of the reasons was for bioshock. After playing both the xbox 360 version and the pc version, i can't help but think that either there is way more to my pc that I am not seeing, or the xbox360 is just that powerful or that us PC owners are still getting jipped and getting detail levels purposefully on par with the 360. I guess I see all these videos for UT3 and notice a ton of detail and then see Bioshock and am just underwelmed a bit. Maybe I set the bar too high for myself in the graphics department. The atmosphere is great and some of the effects are nice, but also the gunplay doesn't feel like it has a lot of "weight" to it. The blood effects and things like that are cheesy to me. I still like the game, I'm just left wondering if this truely is the pinnacle of PC gaming. Maybe hardware has outpaced software this badly.

P.S. Game still rocks, don't flame for that. :)

EDIT: Gamer's Hell now has the demo.

Thanks for the headsup.

Yeah it's hilarious. I have the demo ready to play just getting in the mood. :D Only took me 45 minutes to download. Go to the gamespot forums for more info on getting a fast download speed and not through fileshit. Everyone their is also ranting up a storm about everyone playing it while they wait for their activations.

They should be ranting, because its fucking BS. Lets just say that if I obtained this demo knowing it wasn't supposed to be out yet, I wouldn't be posting screenshots and opinions of the demo just because it looks shady and makes others wonder what other alternative methods people around here use to get their games. Since I already waited hours for the FP demo to complete, I'll wait for the unlock.

Sounds like you're bitter. I got a direct download link from the 2k boards. They don't care. There is a huge thread running there right now with a link and details where to d/l. The guy who has provided the bandwidth and got this demo out to half the internet deserves praise. :D

Look spawning fish lolz.

WOW! I have played the demo on the following system:

4GB RAM under Vista 64-bit edition

DirectX 10, quad-core goodness! It looks and runs incredibly, and was a blast to play. I can't wait till tomorrow for the full game!

I hope you dont think quadcore does anything at any sort of high res.

i get no sound at all. in fact for some reason it just stops working after the intro video of him on the plane talking about his parents. after that it just mutes. even the companies vid when you start it up gets sound. sure i was amazed at the graphics, but if i get no sound, fuck playing it. realtek hda on vista x64. framerate is fine btw ;)

beautiful game though. i mean really...best i've ever seen.

Jodiuh said:
Deferred rendering, right? Any ideas on when this will be fixed? UT3 perhaps?

As far as I know, anti-aliasing in DX9 while using deferred rendering is impossible due to the limitations in the API and/or DX9 hardware. However it probably works in DX10 due to it's greater flexibility in the way everything is set up. Anybody else that's more knowledgeable care to throw in their two pennies?

anyone else playing this on a GX2? My game crashes right as it loads the part when you get out of the bathysphere and in to the city :rolleyes: JUST after the loading screen

running driver version 162.18 BTW

Runs great on my rig (1680x1050) with all options maxed + vsync + DX10. Only thing I found lacking was the graphics. Pretty poor texture quality.

20FPS Max = tEh suXXX00rrzzz

I'm going with the 360 version since it runs 100x better than the PC version. Bad thing is that my rig is pretty decent.

Runs great on my rig (1680x1050) with all options maxed + vsync + DX10. Only thing I found lacking was the graphics. Pretty poor texture quality.

I have to disagree... Best overall looking game (demo:D) I have ever played. Including oblivion. (hated far off distance textures). My opinion might be different if my Direct2drive POS let me mod it. I spent weeks on gameamp forums trying to figure this out and NO one had any idea what was at fault.

20FPS Max = tEh suXXX00rrzzz

I'm going with the 360 version since it runs 100x better than the PC version. Bad thing is that my rig is pretty decent.

couldnt be that good if you arenetting about 20fps...

all settings maxed @ 1024x768 im getting atleast 30 fps on the rig in my sig (that or this game feels DAMN smooth under 30... )

unless you have an HDTV this plays way better on PC in terms of appearance... because im stuck with a GX2, I havent been able to PLAY the demo on PC yet... just get to the city (im assuming its the graphics card... as its unique :rolleyes: )

20FPS Max =Bad thing is that my rig is pretty decent.

hhmmmm. their are people running this on high @ 1280x1024 on 8500gt's. So define decent? Every review site i have read mentions the pc's version superior controls and visuals. Updated to the new drivers yet?

EDIT: I type fucking slow!

Back