BIOS updates for AM4 motherboards

psst
Heh, had to change that to "improvement". Guess it's true.
:shame: "exercise" is also misspelled lol

Apparently Mobos were shipped by slow boat. Another Intel channel sabotage feat. Next week the big shipments come in.
Honestly, as much as I feel like Intel still has it in them to try to sabotage AMD, despite having been found guilty of that by Euro courts and the FCC which resulted in Intel having to pay AMD a combined $2.5billion+ (which being pocket change for them, I doubt they learned a lesson), I don't quite get the feeling that Intel is behind it this time. I admit, in another post I made a "[crackpot conspiracy]" claim that Intel was probably the cause, which I did partially believe at that time, I don't quite think it's too viable currently.

Humorously enough, I had told my friend on Monday that I bet the boards are coming on the literal "slow boat from China", from personal experience on direct shipping from overseas, so it actually being the case does explain the delay. Srsly though... For anyone who doesn't know, that isn't just a saying to imply "slow as hell shipping"! lol If you've ever looked at stuff on eBay, like DIY audio amps or the like, a lot of times their shipping time can be 2 to 3 weeks. Reason being due to the fact it's actually on a giant Container Ship that is traversing the ocean blue :p Unfortunately it's slow as all hell, but it's what companies have to do in order to get sizable stock on products, which would require countless trips by Cargo Plane, and that's just not financially viable on this large of a scale. :(
"Teh Moar U No... ~=⭐"

Biostar GT7 is praised by some people for its excellent power phase. I am curious if I should just buy it or wait for the GT3. I need something that will be on constantly for lets say next 5 years if possible.

:cry: Nathan Kirsch, in his Why AM4 Motherboards Are Missing [from the market] article, really broke my heart when he mentioned that MSI Titanium doesn't physically have the ability to make finer adjustments to the BClk :shifty:
"but we just found out that the board lacks a CLKGEN (clock generator) on it to adjust the bus frequency for fine tuned overclocking. We were hopeful that was something MSI would enable with a UEFI update, but the board is lacking the physical components to enable it."

I'm still going to keep my order on the board, but what kind further irked me was when I read...
"The good news is that MSI has a new model coming out with this feature to compete with ASUS and Gigabyte, but it is lacking on their current flagship model."

That's... not really "good news" :( heh That's more unfortunate news. They could've at least made provisions for it to accept a tiny daughter-card component that adds the external CLKGEN. However, I'm also hoping that maybe they have the circuit designed into the Titanium but is simply lacking the SMD components (hopefully, though admittedly very unlikely, it'll just need a clock crystal soldered on).

I'm also rather surprised that they [AM4 boards] don't have native support for AMP and XMP memory profiles like in the past. I know a couple have it currently, but it hasn't helped much/any on those boards.
Memory on AM4, period, is a mess, and I'm not even referring to the support problems. The complete lack of subtimings is quite absurd, which by my understanding, is currently AMD holding that back while they try to iron out the general memory compatibility teething issues. Nevertheless, I guess I'm more caught off guard by the lack of timing options, having not experienced that since... geeze... Like 1998 to 2002 era of computing? heh I can't recall if most higher-end DDR-based boards were limited like that, though. Most of my A64 memory tuning I admit was done through Windows with A64Info.exe (best. program. evar!) which DID have all the subtiming options, and BClk, and HyperTransport multi! So I rarely had to even touch the BIOS :p Dear god, please PLEASE someone make the Ryzen equivalent of that program! lol (Ryzen Master program would be great, if they added the subtiming control like OverDrive had)
Just an aside to your point on AMP/XMP memory profiles. My MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 had them but my current ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 has none. Wasn't a big deal just used the drop down menu to select the speed I wanted to use based on current FSB.

I have the same board. It takes me 30 to 40 minutes to boot into windows 10 Pro with 16 GB of memory . Just two dimm sticks. I also can't get above 2133mhz. How long is your boot time.????

I have the same board. It takes me 30 to 40 minutes to boot into windows 10 Pro with 16 GB of memory . Just two dimm sticks. I also can't get above 2133mhz. How long is your boot time.????
os2wiz were you talking about me and my asrock board? I just use 2x8gb sticks at 2133, but my boot times are normal.

:cry: Nathan Kirsch, in his Why AM4 Motherboards Are Missing [from the market] article, really broke my heart when he mentioned that MSI Titanium doesn't physically have the ability to make finer adjustments to the BClk :shifty:
"but we just found out that the board lacks a CLKGEN (clock generator) on it to adjust the bus frequency for fine tuned overclocking. We were hopeful that was something MSI would enable with a UEFI update, but the board is lacking the physical components to enable it."

I'm still going to keep my order on the board, but what kind further irked me was when I read...
"The good news is that MSI has a new model coming out with this feature to compete with ASUS and Gigabyte, but it is lacking on their current flagship model."

That's... not really "good news" :( heh That's more unfortunate news. They could've at least made provisions for it to accept a tiny daughter-card component that adds the external CLKGEN. However, I'm also hoping that maybe they have the circuit designed into the Titanium but is simply lacking the SMD components (hopefully, though admittedly very unlikely, it'll just need a clock crystal soldered on).

I'm also rather surprised that they [AM4 boards] don't have native support for AMP and XMP memory profiles like in the past. I know a couple have it currently, but it hasn't helped much/any on those boards.
Memory on AM4, period, is a mess, and I'm not even referring to the support problems. The complete lack of subtimings is quite absurd, which by my understanding, is currently AMD holding that back while they try to iron out the general memory compatibility teething issues. Nevertheless, I guess I'm more caught off guard by the lack of timing options, having not experienced that since... geeze... Like 1998 to 2002 era of computing? heh I can't recall if most higher-end DDR-based boards were limited like that, though. Most of my A64 memory tuning I admit was done through Windows with A64Info.exe (best. program. evar!) which DID have all the subtiming options, and BClk, and HyperTransport multi! So I rarely had to even touch the BIOS :p Dear god, please PLEASE someone make the Ryzen equivalent of that program! lol (Ryzen Master program would be great, if they added the subtiming control like OverDrive had)

Is my biggest proble, the over 30 minute boot time for my x370 MSI Titanium just a freak case or has this been reported by others across the board???

Half hour to boot? WTF? No, that can't be normal or right. I'd be upset if it was more than 30 to 40 seconds.

Is my biggest proble, the over 30 minute boot time for my x370 MSI Titanium just a freak case or has this been reported by others across the board???
Crap I caught mention of something about this on one of the reviews, but I can't remember which motherboard or what site it was... <_>

Quite certain that it was mentioned to be SATA device detection related. If your sig is accurate insofar as the drives you have installed (BTW, you held shift when typing 1TB lol) then I'd unplug the Blu-ray first, see if that helps. If not, then unplug whichever SSD does not have your OS. Then if still is slower than shit to complete a POST, unplug the last one.

Fixed? Then plug the other one back in (to the port you unplugged the last one from).
Still fixed? Somethings wonky with the drive, the cable, or the board doesn't like it.
Slow as molasses again? Something's wonky with that SATA port or the cable.

It could very well be the cables just on their own. I had received a brand new ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty for review and all of the nice SATA III cables it came with didn't work, in any motherboard I used them on!

I'd also try shutting down every unused device/component on the board, too. Onboard sound not being used? Disabled it. COM? NIC? etc. Disable it if you're not making use of it, if for no other reason that diagnostic purposes.
(BTW I'm not trying to sound patronizing lol I'm only going into such great detail here for any future reader that comes through and is having problems. As such, anything you find out I suggest reporting back, for that very purpose :))

Unfortunately, I've yet to receive my board yet, and Amazon has yet to even mention it's status on my order page. So unfortunately I'm unable to be of any further help in that sense. However, given I have my own onslaught of HDDs to connect to my system, so I'll no doubt be going through these same pains as you are. Thankfully (at least I hope), I prefer to Sleep my computer, so even if I do have this issue, I'll be bypassing it for the majority of the time. lol

I have the MSI Titanium. I timed it, and it takes 33 seconds from pressing the power button to being in the Windows login screen. All I have is 1 SATA drive and an M.2 (boot) drive.

I really hope there is a fix, because 30+ seconds is obscene in 2017.

I have the MSI Titanium. I timed it, and it takes 33 seconds from pressing the power button to being in the Windows login screen. All I have is 1 SATA drive and an M.2 (boot) drive.

I really hope there is a fix, because 30+ seconds is obscene in 2017.
You must be kidding. My fastest boot is 13 minutes, my slowest 40 minutes. I have the same MSI Titanium.

You must be kidding. My fastest boot is 13 minutes, my slowest 40 minutes. I have the same MSI Titanium.

How and why would you wait 13 mins for the system to boot? What made you think that "I'll just let this sit for X mins for it to do something"? I would have rebooted within a min if it didn't do anything.There is obviously something wrong with your computer.

How much of that is before Windows starts loading and how much is after?

If its spending a lot of time before than you probably have something hanging up the SATA controller or otherwise slowing down post. You can check by unplugging non-essential devices and maybe try one stick of RAM at a time

If its just Windows taking forever maybe its time to format. Or at least throw in an old drive to test a fresh install

Keeping a close eye on that MSI tomahawk page for a new release BIOS. Too skerd to try the betas. If you smoke that motherboard you're gonna be down for a while. Not like you can easily get a replacement right now.

Sounds like you're at more risk by not trying the very latest beta right now...

Only if you screw with it. I have my memory at 2400mhz 1.35v and it works every time I power it on. I could start playing to achieve a 2933 or higher but why would I want to do that? If it blows up I'm out a motherboard and no replacement available. Not worth it.

Take the panel off your machine and watch the debugging LEDs on the mobo. (Dear God, please don't tell me it doesn't have them...) See what code it gets "stuck" on for that 13 minute + boot time. That should help you figure out what's borked.

Others have given good advice. There is something which is incompatible/broken on your rig. The mobo/OS is working around it at each boot. Find it and fix it. Or not. ;)

No, I'm not kidding. 33 seconds (which I consider long compared to my other machines). Do you really mean 13 *minutes*? That can't be right.

Right you are, its hard to be objective when so called jurnalists have no objectivity. I'm not interested in their poor opinions, but objectivity that simply is not there. Did I contribute to the discussion. most likely not, but I'm happy we can find humor in it.
Aside from the opinions thrown. Does anyone know if or when can we get the Biostar GT3. Or should I just grab the MSI Titanium. I think that 1800X in a small form factor along with Vega would make a sexy little PC.

No info on release date for that board yet. The only mATX board I've actually seen available is the Asus B350M-A, and mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I may upgrade to the Biostar when it's available for more io, but it could be 6 days from now or 6 months from now, no idea.

I like the MSI gaming carbon as well, but i want a M-ATX 8 core PC. I Could do the same. The problem is that if I get the Asus B350 now. I know I will grab a 1700 for the Asus B350 when the Biostar GT3 becomes available.
I have some last gen stuff laying around, so RAM would be the only thing to get as well and its not that expensive these days. My local microcenter has the Asus x370 prime in stock and the MSI x370 carbon. There are a few 350 boards as well.

I ended up going back to the stock MSI BIOS because I ran into some odd CrossFire instability where performance tanked (worse than 1 card) and I had the computer shut off mid game.

For the ASUS Crosshair 6 anything before bios 902 should be removed from first post. Those bios's have and can brick the motherboard.

The 1.21 beta bios for the MSI B350 Tomahawk fixes most of the problems with that board. pretty stable now. Running a 1700 at 3.9GHz 1.325V & Corsair LPX 3200 at 2933. could boost to full 3200 with 1.36V and 1.15V NB but saw minimal gains from this

The 1.21 beta bios for the MSI B350 Tomahawk fixes most of the problems with that board. pretty stable now. Running a 1700 at 3.9GHz 1.325V & Corsair LPX 3200 at 2933. could boost to full 3200 with 1.36V and 1.15V NB but saw minimal gains from this
Hi, i also use same system, CPU at stock clock and coltage.
I am able to get only 2633 out of my corsair lpx 3000Mhz ram kit.
Could you give me specific Ram voltage/NB voltage and timings you use, so i could try myself. I am using beta BIOS 1.21 aswell.
When i tired auto timing + 1,35v on ram + manual 2933, it did not boot for me on this version.

Somehow i am thinking its NB that is bigest limit, and if we find sweet spot for its voltage it would make easier to get good speed on our rams. I am just not sure what range is safe to test with.

I will tell you guys 2 things you want to know-
1 Asus x370 prime will run 2933 MHz with G.Skill Trident 3200 Memory ~4.GHz on CPU no higher 1700x
2. Biostar will also run 2933 MHz with this memory. ~4.25 GHz on same CPU

The Asus board is running things a bit faster and is easier to use with either of the Current BIOS.
The Biostar first bios is a mess. The updated Bios is more like what I am used to in a Biostar BIOS.

Cannot figure out how to get the multiplier to 40.00 in the Biostar board. Kinda disappointed.

Ryzen Master to the rescue!

Heads up!!! New beta BIOS uploaded on MSI DE ftp server for B350 Tomahawk - version 1.32. Gonna try it this evening, will give you news if it bricks my MOBO or not, and if ram is more stable.

Good luck. It hasn't solved the compatibility issues for everyone so there is clearly more work to be done. I suspect over the next 2-3 months a lot of the rough edges will continue to be ironed out.

EDIT: BIOS I loaded was the 1.1 RELEASE not a Beta.

Good luck. It hasn't solved the compatibility issues for everyone so there is clearly more work to be done. I suspect over the next 2-3 months a lot of the rough edges will continue to be ironed out.

EDIT: BIOS I loaded was the 1.1 RELEASE not a Beta.
I see that 1.1 version on MSI website. It has build date of 03/10. I wonder if its same one as 1.32 beta or maybe 1.32 beta has even more fixes.

I apologize if this is a double post, but given it's not in #1 I'll assume it isn't (too busy trying to get Win10 installed lol) EDIT: I see that TeddyofLove mentioned this haha

MSI BIOS FTP (hosted at their German domain)
http://msi-ftp.de:8080/main.html
You do NOT need login credentials since this is what shows up by default, but here they are anyways:
Login: anonym
Pass:​
(password is blank)

Upon logging in, you'll be in the main directory. Navigate to (this is a UI so double-click to open)...
BIOS > AM4 >

YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW YOUR MSI BOARD'S MODEL NUMBER, not it's "Name".
This can be found printed silkscreened on the PCB, usually in a small rectangular box that starts with: MS- . (The Titanium's is located on the BACK of the motherboard)
X370 Titanium = 7A31
B350 Tomahawk
= 7A34 (this is an EDUCATED guess, since today's was the latest)

I believe that those with prefix of E and suffix of AMS = Public Releases. My Titanium's shipping BIOS is E7A31AMS_110 and while I don't know what version that is, the release date on it predates the v1.1 on the website (first post), but I assume the numbers are meant to be read as #<decimal>## and therefore 110 = v1.1. There is (at time of posting) an AMS_117 which would then be I assume 1.17, but if these are public releases, I don't understand why it's not on the site. If they are build numbers like I originally thought, then logic goes out the window, which GG MSI for going ahead and making this difficult lol (However, it's a good deturrant to keep those not in-the-know from trying shit out :p)

I apologize if this is a double post, but given it's not in #1 I'll assume it isn't (too busy trying to get Win10 installed lol) EDIT: I see that TeddyofLove mentioned this haha

MSI BIOS FTP (hosted at their German domain)
http://msi-ftp.de:8080/main.html
You do NOT need login credentials since this is what shows up by default, but here they are anyways:
Login: anonym
Pass:​
(password is blank)

Upon logging in, you'll be in the main directory. Navigate to (this is a UI so double-click to open)...
BIOS > AM4 >

YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW YOUR MSI BOARD'S MODEL NUMBER, not it's "Name".
This can be found printed silkscreened on the PCB, usually in a small rectangular box that starts with: MS- . (The Titanium's is located on the BACK of the motherboard)
X370 Titanium = 7A31
B350 Tomahawk
= 7A34 (this is an EDUCATED guess, since today's was the latest)

I believe that those with prefix of E and suffix of AMS = Public Releases. My Titanium's shipping BIOS is E7A31AMS_110 and while I don't know what version that is, the release date on it predates the v1.1 on the website (first post), but I assume the numbers are meant to be read as #<decimal>## and therefore 110 = v1.1. There is (at time of posting) an AMS_117 which would then be I assume 1.17, but if these are public releases, I don't understand why it's not on the site. If they are build numbers like I originally thought, then logic goes out the window, which GG MSI for going ahead and making this difficult lol (However, it's a good deturrant to keep those not in-the-know from trying shit out :p)
Hey,

MSI B350 tomahawk latest BETA version is named 7A34_132.zip.
7A34 is internal code for this motherboard, you can find same code mentioned inside BIOS.
_132 is 1.32 version. that was posted on 03/24. Version i currently use is 1.22 that was uploaded 03/20 (4 days ago.). Will update this evening and look if i can get any higher than 2666Mhz on my Corsair LPX 3000Mhz 2x4GB sticks.

Back