Bios update for Superclocked 8800gt

Crotan

Gawd
Evga released a bios update for their Superclocked versions

http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/default.asp?switch=2

The direct link to the page gets a can't find drivers so you have to find them manually on the page but its under Download Drivers --> Geforce 8 series --> Bios Update

Evga at evga.com said:
The following drivers/files are available for your hardware and operating system combination.

Note: If you are having difficulties downloading the driver file, please make sure you completely disable any third party download managers.

Bios Version : 62.92.16.00.22
BIOS Date : 11/30/2007
Bios File : N802 Update 1.0.zip (FTP / HTTP)
Notes :
EVGA 8800GT Superclocked BIOS Update
This updated BIOS is only for the EVGA 8800GT SC (512-P3-N802-__)
KO and SSC versions will be posted soon

Updates are as follows:

Improves fanspeed auto sensor
Windows XP/Vista Flash Instructions

Download the appropriate update above, and extract files to a location on disk
Completely remove NVIDIA display driver from Add/Remove programs
Restart PC
Make sure no programs are running in the background, and double click update.exe from the extracted .zip file
Press “Y” to begin flash
After flash restart PC
Reinstall the 169.09/169.12 or later graphics driver
IMPORTANT: If running in SLI, each card needs to be flashed separately

Anybody want to try them out and see what exactly it does or rather if the fanspeed jumps now and at what temp does it jump?

nice. thanks for post.

My 8800gt SC arrives tomarrow, so ill give it a whirl then.

Sorry I said this in the post after the fact but here it is again

The direct link to the page gets a can't find drivers so you have to find them manually on the page but its under Download Drivers --> Geforce 8 series --> Bios Update

Just curious, are these something that can be used on any 8800gt to have them overclocked to those speeds on the bios level? I thought all of the cards were the same and the differences were in the bios.

You can just use RivaTuner and crank it to any speed you want.

Currently you can't select different 2D/3D settings so i just have one speed for both - 60% for me.

I'm not sure I trust this auto fan setting that's supposed to increase fan speed based on temperarture. I prefer just to set it to a speed and forget about it.

well if the auto fan speed thing worked the way it was supposed to in the beginning then we wouldn't have to use RivaTuner; the good thing about this is that depending on where it jumps and at what temp we don't have to listen to the fan at 60% all the time if all we are doing is surfing the web or other mundane tasks, but then again you don't have to set it at 60% through RivaTuner either if your not playing a game.

It comes down to would you rather have a program always running in the background while playing a game or have it do it automatically for you

I got a stock EVGA that came clocked at SC speeds in the box. Tried this BIOS and completely lost my overclock and heat was insane. At 85C the fan was barely at 40% and the temp was still rising. Artifacts out the ass on ATITool. Flashed back and went with my custom 60% at 75C and maxxing at 79C under load with no artifacts on my overclock.

Looks like it’s barely an improvement then

but hey almost at 40% at 85 C is better than 29% at 85 C

This really is no substitute to RivaTuner for anyone overclocking, RivaTuner is the way to go there, but merely maybe for anyone that won't be overclocking

From anand:

manwithnoname said:
Yes, just did some initial testing using the lastest Nvidia Beta 169.12 Vista32. Using 3D Demo fans are ramping-up for me as follows....

70c - 30%
75c - 35%
80c - 45%

I'm about to do some in game temp logging to see what temps Max out at, hopefully 80c is it. Prior to this I was at 65c-75c Max under load with fan set at a constant 65%. I'm wondering if they did anything else as far as bug fixes or performance enhancements. BIOS went from 62.92.12.XX.XX to 62.92.16.XX.

I think I'll skip this. Mine is running great now that I've set up custom fan rules in Rivatuner. Rarely breaks 75C.

I think I'll skip this. Mine is running great now that I've set up custom fan rules in Rivatuner. Rarely breaks 75C.

After reading your post I decided this was probably the best route for me and I went back and did the same. I played a little bit of CoD4 with no sound to see if it worked and it was nice to hear the fan kick up a few times. Thank you, I thought about this before but just never got around to it.

The bios worked fine, but I still use Rivatuner. My fan is usually @ 34% idle.
Here's my setup:

Fan Speed 34%> 62C
Fan Speed 40%> 66C
Fan Speed 60%> 72C
Fan Speed 80%> 84C
Fan Speed 100%> 100C

During games I usually get 75-80C. It doesn't bother me hearing the fan while gaming b/c my sound is loud :)
but on idle I want it quiet and 34%, you won't hear much of a difference from 29%.

You can just use RivaTuner and crank it to any speed you want.

Currently you can't select different 2D/3D settings so i just have one speed for both - 60% for me.

I'm not sure I trust this auto fan setting that's supposed to increase fan speed based on temperarture. I prefer just to set it to a speed and forget about it.

You can do a lot better than that with RivaTuner actually. I have my GT set so that the fan adjusts automatically based on temp. You can enter as many transition points as you want; I run just three. 35% 50% and 75% fan speeds for <60C, <70C, and =>70C respectively. Never had the highest gear kick in actually.

I flashed it on my Asus EN8800GT and it works just fine. The fan seems to ramp up to a higher RPM and a lot sooner than previous BIOS versions.

how about using nibor to extract the new bios from evga so that those of us without the Superclocked can play with it?

how about using nibor to extract the new bios from evga so that those of us without the Superclocked can play with it?

The auto-flasher should work on any of the EVGA 8800GT 512MB cards.... reguardless of wether they are standard, superclocked, or super super clocked. But be aware that your clocks will be sc (650/950) after the flash.

I'll extract the BIOS and post it here in a sec anyway. :)

Note that these BIOS will work on ANY 8800GT 512MB board so long as it's a standard reference board - the only board these MIGHT not work on would be the oddball Zotac brand board which uses a custom design. And for all I know it might even work on those too.
These BIOS images use a new and more aggressive thermal profile for the onboard fan controller which causes the fan to ramp up to higher levels in 3D mode much sooner than before. This should cause your card to run somewhat cooler under load.

nVidia 8800GT 512MB BIOS ver. 62.92.16.00.22 - Aggressive fan profile - 600/1500/900 gpu/stream/mem (nVidia Standard speeds)
nVidia 8800GT 512MB BIOS ver. 62.92.16.00.22 - Aggressive fan profile - 650/1650/950 gpu/stream/mem (EVGA Superclocked speeds)

NVFLASH 5.57 - This version MUST be used to flash the G92 boards

You'll need a DOS bootable floppy diskette, CD, or flash drive for the flash - search for my howto elsewhere in this forum for info on how to make one.

ALSO make sure you uninstall your nVidia display drivers BEFORE completing the BIOS flash, otherwise you may have driver conflict issues afterwards.

Use the following command to flash:

nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 biosfile.rom

Where "biosfile.rom" is the name of the BIOS file you want to flash.

I hate having to have Rivatuner open in the background to get the fan speed stuff to work, and I've never found a way to NOT have to ahve it open. Can you explain how you get it to do the ramping without having the temp graph window open?

edit: fixed, had to reinstall rivatuner. >_<

Note that these BIOS will work on ANY 8800GT 512MB board so long as it's a standard reference board - the only board these MIGHT not work on would be the oddball Zotac brand board which uses a custom design. And for all I know it might even work on those too.
These BIOS images use a new and more aggressive thermal profile for the onboard fan controller which causes the fan to ramp up to higher levels in 3D mode much sooner than before. This should cause your card to run somewhat cooler under load.

nVidia 8800GT 512MB BIOS ver. 62.92.16.00.22 - Aggressive fan profile - 600/1500/900 gpu/stream/mem (nVidia Standard speeds)
nVidia 8800GT 512MB BIOS ver. 62.92.16.00.22 - Aggressive fan profile - 650/1650/950 gpu/stream/mem (EVGA Superclocked speeds)

NVFLASH 5.57 - This version MUST be used to flash the G92 boards

You'll need a DOS bootable floppy diskette, CD, or flash drive for the flash - search for my howto elsewhere in this forum for info on how to make one.

ALSO make sure you uninstall your nVidia display drivers BEFORE completing the BIOS flash, otherwise you may have driver conflict issues afterwards.

Use the following command to flash:

nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 biosfile.rom

Where "biosfile.rom" is the name of the BIOS file you want to flash.

Thanks man. I knew that I could flash my GT into a SSC.. but do I really want to do that LOL.

I can now tinker with it since you did it for me - thanks.

I just tried the BIOS update from eVGA, here's the results after running ATITool for 5 minutes:

Before: 92c
After: 82c

I didn't have artifacts at either temperature, which I guess is a different experience than one of the earlier posters. I still have RivaTuner installed with custom fan profiles, but it's nice to know that the card itself handles temperatures much better on it's own now too.

Thank you for making this post... looks like I'll be flashing my 8800GT SC when i get home :D

Back