bios Guardian????

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by runLoganrun, Dec 10, 2006.

1. runLoganrun

runLoganrun Gawd

I'm trying to install XP Pro on my girlfriend's older emachine, W2247, AMD Athlon XP 2200. When you turn on the computer it goes right to this Guardian Bios screen, where you have to enter a password, then it boots into Windows, but meanwhile I can't get into the bios, or boot menu. I need to know how to get into the bios(I know how to do it normally), or how to just get rid of this Guardian software? I can find nothing in Windows referring to the software. I was on phone w/ emachine tech support for a long time and couldn't get anywhere, they said it was a third party program. Has anyone seen this?
    thanks

2. digital_exhaust

digital_exhaust [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008

Bios Guardian acts somewhat like a firewall to prevent virii from attacking the bios. To disable it you will need to reboot the machine and hold down the delete key before power on, until it enters the cmos setup, and then go to Advanced bios features, and select Bios Guardian, options and disable it.
    Hope it helps.

3. runLoganrun

runLoganrun Gawd

Thanks so much- I was able to get into the cmos menu, then advanced bios features, but then everything is kind of greyed out, I can't move the cursor to get down to the Bios Guardian.

4. digital_exhaust

That's odd, so did the screen just basically go blank?

Edit.... ok, I just read your other thread about the onboard graphics, and I'm pretty sure that your graphics drivers are causing the problem, I would think if you get this problem fixed, the grey screen issue will be resolved.

5. runLoganrun

runLoganrun Gawd

No, I got in there fine, I just couldn't navigate down to Bios Guardian, or anywhere in that menu.

6. digital_exhaust

Have you tried using keyboard commands?

7. runLoganrun

runLoganrun Gawd

I was using the arrow keys. The way the page looks is that everything I can navigate to, via arrows, is an orangey color, but what I can't get to is a darker green color, that's what I meant by greyed out. Are there other keyboard prompts?

8. digital_exhaust

Ok, I've been pokin around on the interwebnet thingy and have discovered some very interesting information regarding this problem.

If I am correct, according to your other thread, you have already installed a new video card, correct? If so, I'm pretty sure you need to uninstall that card, and start over.
    Once you have removed the card, try disabling bios guardian again, and at this point you will need to update your bios, and then disable onboard graphics, and then install your card, run driver cleaner, and load the graphics drivers for your card.

Apparently, the board in your machine is rather picky about video card upgrades, and without more information it's going to be hard to offer any more useful help. Complete system specs would really help.
    Maybe run cpu-z and post up the results.

9. Youri Carma

Youri Carma Gawd

Also look if your keyboard is USB or not. Had problems with USB keyboards not functioning in that area. Guess thats not the problem.

10. runLoganrun

runLoganrun Gawd

Nope, unfortunately. I pulled the card, uninstalled nvidia drivers, re-booted into cmos, and it was the same deal. Options highlighted in yellow, I can get into and change, non-highlighted green ones I can't get into, like anything in advance bios menu. I've been at this for 24 hours, it's hateful.

11. NoxTek

NoxTek The Geek Redneck

You need to unplug the machine, take the side panel off, and locate the clear CMOS jumper. It's usually a 3-pin jumper located close to the onboard button cell battery. That particular eMachines uses an FIC brand AM37 motherboard and the CMOS reset is located right next to the battery just above the floppy drive data connector. Move it to it's alternate position for about 5 seconds (if it's on pins 1 and 2 move it to pins 2 and 3 or vice versa). Now replace the jumper in it's original position, plug the machine back up, and power it on. The BIOS passwords should be cleared now and all options reset to their defaults.

Usually the BIOS defaults are sufficient on these eMachines, but you may need to go in and change a few things for optimal performance after the CMOS reset.

12. runLoganrun

runLoganrun Gawd

Sweet Blue Falcon!! That worked. I'm able to get into the bios now. What I'm not able to do though is load XP Pro. I set up the cd as the boot drive, but it just bypasses it. And if I try to run the disk through windows, I get an error saying it's an older version than what is on the computer, but what's on there is XP Home. I also couldn't see where the onboard video I need to disable is in the BIOS.
    Thanks again,
    Damon

13. NoxTek

NoxTek The Geek Redneck

Hmm... try hitting Escape or F8 at the POST screen (the first screen that comes up when you reset or power on the PC) to see if it gives you a device boot menu? Some versions of the Award and AMI BIOS have this menu, some do not.

If not look for an option or toggle in the BIOS that says "Boot other device" and try enabling it.

You can also try removing the hard drives from the boot order menu in the BIOS altogether. Then once you've booted the Windows XP CD and let it run through it's first copy phase, then the next time it asks to reboot go back in the BIOS and re-add the hard drives to the boot order.

LMK how it works out. :)

14. runLoganrun

runLoganrun Gawd

Yeah, I did that, disabling the hard drive and floppy and having cd as priority one, but it still went right to windows. I was wondering if I had a bios problem, I've got the name of the manufacturer of the mobo, hopefully has newew bios. My copy of xp pro though, is a copy of xp pro, so I think that maybe they didn't make it a bootable disc. Being able to disable the hard drive and still have it boot into windows seems strange though.