Bios Flashing Horrors! Quite Long.

oreo987

Weaksauce
so i decided to flash my inno3d 6600gt agp because it was performing poorly in everything. far cry, hl2, riddick..

downloaded nvflash 5.10 and followed the instructions and backed up the original then proceeded to flash my bios. this is my first time flashing a vga bios btw.

so i tried flashing a modified inno3d bios and got an error so i restarted(DON'T EVER DO THIS!!) my pc and got a blank screen, graphic card was dead.. but i wasn't worried cuz i had a backed up bios, or so i thought! i tried blind flashing but couldn't hear the "beep" sound by the speaker saying that it was ready to flash. so i checked the floppy disk in another pc abd the backup bios was 0KB!!

so i spent 4 hours trying different versions of nvflash but all gave errors. then, a miracle happened :eek:, one of the versions let me go into windows safe mode, rather relieved by now. and i was also very good at blind flashing now, lol.

spent another 2 hours trying all sorts of bioses, but none would let me start windows normally. so i tried swapping graphic cards which did start windows normally so i figured it was a driver problem.

installed 66.93whql drivers and finally my 6600gt was back to normal, except that it is now a galaxy 6600gt agp instead of an inno3d one. at least it performs noticebly better, fraps shows about 5fps increase in far cry on average for min fps. :)

and i still can't overclock even by 1MHz so its gonna be 500/500 forever.. i must have got the lousiest chip in the box..

so moral of the story, ALWAYS CHECK your backups..

nvflash 5.12 tip: erase bios with "nvflash -e" then flash new bios with "nvflash -4 -5 -6 file.rom". and NEVER flash a PCIe bios to AGP and vice versa.

Thatonen00b said:
what can you flash a 6600 to?

other bios versions which are better, like my example above. and previously, my inno3d 6600gt agp ambient temp sensor read 0 degress celcius, now it reads correctly 36 degrees c.

Thatonen00b said:
has anyone messed around with raising the voltage on those?
i'm sure there are but i think its not safe for gefroce 6 series, heard that they are very sensitive to volt modding.

Back