Biomutant

Well ouch those reviews are harsh. I figure I will like it in the beginning but then I get bored and shelve it before ever finishing it.

Can't help but feel they got stingy with the audio budget or saved it for last when they had no budget left. Trying to work around lots of animal characters by having a single narrator "translating" the animal noises for us human players is both kind of ingenious and a dam obvious "we can't afford to voice this many characters" solution.

reviews are very average...when a game gets mostly 6 and under scores it's a dud...at least the game will most likely be on sale sooner rather then later...

Last edited:
Mack at Worthabuy gives it a thumbs up, 7/10. With the caveat that its more of a casual game, good for early teens but not really his type of game.

the biggest disappointments to me are that the world is empty and the AI is poor...for an open world game that is a huge negative...overall it sounds like a very mediocre, forgettable game with pretty visuals...shame because the game is definitely unique and I was looking forward to playing it...now I'm going to wait for a sale

Last edited:
Guess we'll know for sure in a few hours.
The industry needs to come up with some new terminology for "game of the year edition" pretty soon either way.

15 minutes for preload usually takes me about 4-5 hours for a game this size.
Not sure if I should call in for work today.

It's up those Steam forums must of been invaded by the most disturbed Fury cos players or something fo the past few hours.

Last edited:
HDR doesn't seem to be supported. At least I don't see any mention of it anywhere. Whenever I tried to change my resolution, the game didn't like that. Luckily I was able to edit the INI file under AppData/Local. Not the most auspicious start.

Conkers Bad Fur day fast travel

icon_thumbsUp_v6.png
icon_review_key.png
Recommended
20.7 hrs on record

PRE-RELEASE REVIEW

POSTED: MAY 25

Product received for free
You can *** on signposts in order to fast travel to them.

11/10

It's okay so far. I only just started, but I really dislike that lock on target. It has to be the WORST lock on target system I have every seen. It kind of is an auto lock, but it just shifts targets like instantly to the nearest thing or something. I was aiming I thought on the big creature but then suddenly I was pointing the wrong direction and slashing at the nearest smaller creature. That is going to be one pain in the ass issue.

I almost impulse bought Biomutant today because I was on a GoG shopping spree and it popped up, but I'm gonna go with my intuition and continue to wait. I'm only interested in buying a game near launch and for full price if it has a lot going for it and tbh this seems like Yet Another Open-World Game, but with some unique twists- I'm just not sure that the unique twists are worth full price given most of the gameplay looks so dull to me 🤔

P*ssing on signposts to fast-travel is a good start though lol, gimme the weird sh*t

I think the game is pristine people just blocking the furries out of their DNA. People rush games as well I chose A PSI fury not sure if its any good. Compared to Fury Fighters say its a 10 year evolution.

I had about 30 minutes to play it. So far I'd say it's okay. Like LurkerLito mentioned, the lock-on seems kinda wack. I have no idea why they didn't make it a button like in every other game. Otherwise, the gameplay seems fine by me. Graphics are good, but not great. Disabling motion blur made things look a lot cleaner, although there is an odd brightness to light sources that I don't really love. It looks almost like mis-calibrated HDR, which the game doesn't support. There's an entry in the game config file, but it's nowhere to be found in-game.

I had about 30 minutes to play it. So far I'd say it's okay. Like LurkerLito mentioned, the lock-on seems kinda wack. I have no idea why they didn't make it a button like in every other game. Otherwise, the gameplay seems fine by me. Graphics are good, but not great. Disabling motion blur made things look a lot cleaner, although there is an odd brightness to light sources that I don't really love. It looks almost like mis-calibrated HDR, which the game doesn't support. There's an entry in the game config file, but it's nowhere to be found in-game.
Huh, the FAQ said that there is currently no way to disable motion blur. If you did it in a config file maybe it's buggy without motion blur right now, which is why they said they will add the ability to turn it off in a post launch patch?

Huh, the FAQ said that there is currently no way to disable motion blur. If you did it in a config file maybe it's buggy without motion blur right now, which is why they said they will add the ability to turn it off in a post launch patch?

Yeah, I turned it off via a config file edit. There's a line you can add that someone posted via the Steam forums. I only played around with it for a few minutes, but it seemed to work fine on the surface. Motion blur screws with my eyes in games like this so I was happy it was possible.

Yeah, I turned it off via a config file edit. There's a line you can add that someone posted via the Steam forums. I only played around with it for a few minutes, but it seemed to work fine on the surface. Motion blur screws with my eyes in games like this so I was happy it was possible.
What about chromatic aberration? Is there a way to turn that off in the config file?

What about chromatic aberration? Is there a way to turn that off in the config file?

Indeed you can. The guy who posted them in the Steam forum listed that option, too. You just add these lines to Engine.ini

[SystemSettings]
r.MotionBlur.Max=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

I tried buying this for $3 a day or two ago on an obvious price mistake through EA's desktop app...we'll see.

did they honor the pricing mistake?...I read on another forum that EA was honoring it (for some people)

did they honor the pricing mistake?...I read on another forum that EA was honoring it (for some people)
It looks like maybe they did. At first I got an email saying that it was just the DLC and it never showed up in my library, but today I see the game in my Origin games list, so....I guess so?

Is the game too easy? That's one of the things I hate the most about games like this is when they don't have decent difficulty options, and it's just too easy, or the difficulty option really only turns enemies into bullet sponges.

Is the game too easy? That's one of the things I hate the most about games like this is when they don't have decent difficulty options, and it's just too easy, or the difficulty option really only turns enemies into bullet sponges.

There is easy, normal, and hard at the start of the game. I choose normal but it's pretty easy so far I did die maybe a half dozen times.

Last edited:
I've only died from dumb stuff in the world. Jump in some black goo, oh that's bad and i died.

From combat, nope.

So far I think the game is decent. Combat feels good and I like the look of the world and the characters. The "empty" complaint definitely seems valid, though. There isn't much point to exploration outside of very obvious places, like behind waterfalls. I'm also not sure why characters speak gibberish and everything has to be narrated. Why not just have them speak to you? I guess it means one guy can record 95% of the spoken lines, but it's weird. Feels like a 7/10 so far, though. It's enjoyable and whimsical, but nothing amazing.

The further I get, the more fun I'm having with it. At first I wasn't sure what it reminded me of. Now I think I have it: Kingdoms of Amalur. It has a similar look to it, combat is action-y in the same way, and the side quests and missions work in a similar way.
From a technical standpoint, performance is weird, though. Fog/smoke definitely causes hitching, and some fights with lots of enemies just seem to bog down in a bad way. I'm running at hundreds of FPS roughly 90% of the time, but that other 10% can be rough. Setting a max FPS of 61 has provided the most consistent performance for the most part. When it bottoms out - it's pretty bad, though. Unlocking the FPS doesn't plummet like that, but it's less smooth the rest of the time. Hopefully THQ (or Nvidia) will release an update with performance improvements.

EDIT: I'm also seeing a far more vibrant world than I expected. There's either a hidden cache, NPC, collectable item, etc. nearly everywhere you look. For the people that loved BOTW, I think this world has way more going on than that one did. One thing I haven't figured out is damage, though. I've created a pair of mega weapons with all the best stuff I could find after 10 hours of collecting stuff. On paper, these weapons should shred anything...but yet they don't? Seems like the stuff you find is as good (maybe better?) in spite of the DPS being way lower.

Last edited:
The game just feels janky and cheap. Not necessarily bad, just not well put together. My biggest problem and the reason why I likely won't play it much more is there is no weight to anything. It's like they tried to copy Devil May Cry but everything is made out of smoke and your character is a balloon. If they would have spent more time working on making movement and combat feel more substantial and accurate a lot of the other issues could be forgiven because the things you do the most, fight and explore, would be fun to do.

Last edited:
I'm still plugging away. I just hit level 23 and am starting to reach the outer portions of the map. It's a massive game. It's tough to contextually see how large it is until you try to walk from one end to the other without fast-traveling. I've managed to kill one (of four) of the main bad-guy enemies and have mainly been doing side stuff as I encounter it. I bet I have 40 side quests I'm in the middle of at the moment. I've also been tinkering with different weapon loadouts. I still think the DPS ratings a little off, but dual-wielding pistols seems to be the single strongest weapon approach I've found. You have tons of ammo and perfect reloading keeps the damage going. The game still lets you use whatever melee weapon you want, so there's no penalty for doing it, too.

Back