Biographer Says Bill Gates Was Smarter Than Steve Jobs

I think people fail to realize Bill Gates has nothing to do with MS since about 2006 and even then not like he used to before 2000. When Bill was in the game, Apple wasn't worth anywhere near as much as it is now.

Apple was still beige box. Then the iMacs started...and so did the rise of Apple.

When Bill was in the game, like I said earlier, he got a ride on the biggest wave one could imagine - the Internet.

Steve Jobs was far better at marketing for sure. Plus he really knew how to mix the kool-aid just right.

No, over the years, Gates had more marketing success. Gate's marketing took an inferior operating system DOS and beat out UNIX.

"if you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to the one better marketed."

No, over the years, Gates had more marketing success. Gate's marketing took an inferior operating system DOS and beat out UNIX.

To say that Gates' had more marketing success is a totally misleading statement. UNIX was an OS that ran into a lot of roadblocks, and Microsoft got in with the PC Compatible manufacturers very early in the game.

meanwhile%20at%20apple.jpg

Ok, this may be in poor taste.. But fixed for accuracy.

7072501119_0cf46888e5.jpg

I don't think I agree. I think as far as Jobs is concerned he was not really able to make Apple get off the mud until Apple decided to use sweatshops in China to make a decent profit. Bill made profits big time even before China even understood what the word "DOS" really means!

I don't think I agree. I think as far as Jobs is concerned he was not really able to make Apple get off the mud until Apple decided to use sweatshops in China to make a decent profit. Bill made profits big time even before China even understood what the word "DOS" really means!

Apple's success really had very little to do with Chinese Labor. It had to do specifically with bringing items to the masses in a feasible way. The masses need to be "bribed" and coaxed into using items that they'd otherwise be slow to accept.

The super cheap labor has little to do with their success and more to do with steve jobs strong arming their way with itunes.

Most people forget about itunes and want to concentrate purely on the hardware, with out itunes to bring all their well developed hardware together most people wouldn't buy it. But since you can have your old (or new) ipod/touch, ipad, iphone and imac centrally updated with music/movies/whatever no one will ever move away from it.

With out Steve Jobs strong arming their way to have the biggest catalog of entertainment for purchase, these iproducts wouldn't be nearly as successfull. The biggest factor for people moving from products in the past was price, now since people are in debt to itunes they will not move away.

It doesn't matter if itunes works on the PC, for one its garbage on the PC and most people don't care if it can be installed, they will buy the apple products which connect to each other easier, with less hassle and will automatically update. Its literally a system I have wanted for ever but am pissed its so exclusive.

It will not matter one bit that Steve Jobs is gone, all Cook has to do is keep iTunes the dominant market and release a partically better iProduct every year. He was handed a fool proof set up which is partially Steve Jobs doing.

for me, teaming up w/Ballmer has always made Gates seem like one of the dumbest guys ever to walk the planet

for me, teaming up w/Ballmer has always made Gates seem like one of the dumbest guys ever to walk the planet

Ballmer was a smart choice in the beginning but he ended up being way too narrow minded for MS. In the end MS ran out of ideas when Gates left, I don't see him lasting long if MS doesn't come out with a new product or re invents something like the Zune.

Problem with MS is how do you get a new CEO to drive the company? Its hard to find a hard driving CEO that won't completely drive your company into the ground *cough* HP *cough*

To say that Gates' had more marketing success is a totally misleading statement. UNIX was an OS that ran into a lot of roadblocks, and Microsoft got in with the PC Compatible manufacturers very early in the game.

He's had many more years of success and had the vision to execute at the right time. Can't argue against the bank either. But man.... it's hard to have a serious conversation after the above picture. A picture is a 1000 words, and money sure isn't everything. :eek:

He's had many more years of success and had the vision to execute at the right time. Can't argue against the bank either. But man.... it's hard to have a serious conversation after the above picture. A picture is a 1000 words, and money sure isn't everything. :eek:

Gates got into the game at the same time as Jobs and both got immensely wealthy. To be honest, I'd say that Apple produced far more for the computing/technology market even if you go back to the 80's. While I'm not an Apple fan, Apple has simply produced more goods that influenced the world over the years. Microsoft used to produce some good software outside of OSes, but that seems to have ceased for the most part.

Apple is currently worth more than MS, so in some sense the past years of attrition for Apple are a bit meaningless. Gates has more money than the dude in the dirt, but does it really matter after your first few million?

Gates has more money than the dude in the dirt, but does it really matter after your first few million?
If you ever plan on giving back to the world that brought you those millions/billions then yeah it can make an enormous difference. It only stops mattering when you hold on to it all the way to the grave.

Gates got into the game at the same time as Jobs and both got immensely wealthy. To be honest, I'd say that Apple produced far more for the computing/technology market even if you go back to the 80's. While I'm not an Apple fan, Apple has simply produced more goods that influenced the world over the years. Microsoft used to produce some good software outside of OSes, but that seems to have ceased for the most part.

Apple is currently worth more than MS, so in some sense the past years of attrition for Apple are a bit meaningless. Gates has more money than the dude in the dirt, but does it really matter after your first few million?

I'm not sure why you are talking about Apple being worth more right now since Gates isn't running the show. The time when Gates was in, and before so much inflation, and for so many years MS was enormous. And the rest of this conversation is going beyond marketing.

I'm not sure why you are talking about Apple being worth more right now since Gates isn't running the show. The time when Gates was in, and before so much inflation, and for so many years MS was enormous. And the rest of this conversation is going beyond marketing.

Whatever, I'd just assume not continue talking about it.

It's too bad their Gates' and Jobs' fathers never fought so the all important question of which dad could beat up the other dad could get answered.

Fascinating article nontheless, and very cogent to us PC geeks.

Yes, yes he was way smarter... all microsoft products support flash

all iPad's do not.. there ya go, steve jobs was a dumbass..

Yes, yes he was way smarter... all microsoft products support flash

all iPad's do not.. there ya go, steve jobs was a dumbass..

Flash sucks?

iPad and iPhones were ahead of the curve with HTML5?

Food for thought.

and the imac outsells all other desktops

Kool-Aid drunk. Apple is less than one percent of the world's computer population. :rolleyes:

As far as Apple's market cap, answer me this...how is the company different from 1 year ago to today that justifies the stock price increase? The answer is NOTHING. Apple has done nothing different in the last year, two years, three years..iPhone refresh, iPad refresh, iPhone refresh, iPhone refresh, dead Foxconn workers, iPad refresh, iPhone S, NEW iPad....

The stock price is artificially inflated because of incessant media bombardment of "hottest stock" "most valuable company" "fast rising stock" "more valuable than Exxon" etc. etc.

When a company's value is based solely on hype, this is what you get:

z

As far as Exxon' market cap, answer me this...how is the company different from 1 year ago to today that justifies the stock price increase? The answer is NOTHING. Exxon has done nothing different in the last year, two years, three years..oil, oil, oil, new oil, synthetic oil, new oil

fixed

imo anyone who engages in an argument about this is far more retarded than either of them.

Back