Bing Scores 30% of all Searches in U.S.

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, look at Bing go! Thirty percent is pretty damn good all things considered.

Looking at the U.S. search engine market in March, Experian Hitwise found that the number of searches at sites powered by Bing rose by 5 percent since February. That includes searches run on Bing's own site as well as those on Yahoo sites powered by Bing. Individually, Bing.com itself accounted for 14.3 percent of all searches, while the ones on Yahoo tallied 15.7 percent.

Nice.

tbh, I personally only use bing whenever I've done a fresh windows install to search for the latest chrome download build.

Personally I think Bing sucks. Used it for about 4 months and hated all the irrelevant stuff that came up. I had to scroll through the first page and sometimes the second to get a relevant result. Google generally has it in the first or second link everytime so back I went and haven't looked back. Though I did like their interface more, lots of cool pictures and facts on it.

It's amazing what you can do when you ship 90% of the worlds operating systems and add your own search engine in as the default... :p

Zarathustra[H];1037116041 said:
It's amazing what you can do when you ship 90% of the worlds operating systems and add your own search engine in as the default... :p

Is it set to default? doesn't IE have some built-in page that loads up the first time you launch it that gives you an option to select your default search

Is it set to default? doesn't IE have some built-in page that loads up the first time you launch it that gives you an option to select your default search
IE defaults to redirector that lands on msn.com. Any searches will go through Bing.

Bing search results aren't bad. Google is just better.

it also helps that if anything, and I mean anything on IE is refreshing, it will swap the text your typing in form the Search field ot the address field which... TADA! will dirrect you to BING if its not a www address.

I quit fighting the browser wars a long time ago.. IE is bloasted and crap, but it works most of the time and 90% of whats out there is conformed to it. but this wierd "take focus to the address bar" thing is about enouhg to make me swap to something else again.. I have used Chrome a bit and its slick, as is firefox, just dont feel like messing int he borwser wars again. IE rules them.. not all rulers are great.. but it gets the job done.

yeah so really 30% aint that great since some large % of those people dont even know how to change it lol

I quit fighting the browser wars a long time ago.. IE is bloasted and crap, but it works most of the time and 90% of whats out there is conformed to it. but this wierd "take focus to the address bar" thing is about enouhg to make me swap to something else again.. I have used Chrome a bit and its slick, as is firefox, just dont feel like messing int he borwser wars again. IE rules them.. not all rulers are great.. but it gets the job done.

This is likely the most apathetic post on this entire forum. Lol.

Personally I think Bing sucks. Used it for about 4 months and hated all the irrelevant stuff that came up. I had to scroll through the first page and sometimes the second to get a relevant result. Google generally has it in the first or second link everytime so back I went and haven't looked back.
Don't worry. According to Google, Microsoft is just copying Google's results at this point, so you should get more-or-less the same results either way. Innovation!

Ironically, Internet Explorer doesn't, but Chrome does. You have to install an addon to be able to use Google for searching in IE9.

I use them both Google and Bing. I find that both of them returned certain things better then the other. So screw picking one to do all my searching. I'll use whatever gets the job done. :p

Until bing image search allows me to open things in tabs or new windows without having to click the picture just to go to its page then have to open the source in a tab or new window before clicking back to the search results and repeat, adding at least 10 times the amount of time it takes for me to find what i need i will keep using google.

I don't use Bing very much, but I find that solely relying on one piece of technology is something I can't do. It's the same reason why I use both Ubuntu and Windows 7 and sometimes XP. There are advantages to each.

When I don't use Southwest, I exclusively use bing.com/travel for finding cheap flights. It does a great job and from what I know, G hasn't entered that department yet.

it also helps that if anything, and I mean anything on IE is refreshing, it will swap the text your typing in form the Search field ot the address field which... TADA! will dirrect you to BING if its not a www address.

Bloated and crap. I can never understand why people call IE bloated. If your IE isn't loading fast enough, you probably have other issues with your computer. Firefox - now that's bloated, but not so much crap. Firefox takes longer to start up on just about any computer I configure.

That's probably my fault. When I set up new computers for employees, I always just click through "yes" to suggested search, and "express" which sets search to Bing and turns on phishing filter and makes MSN the home page. Much quicker this way :-P

Then MSN and Live search should have been bigger. The most they ever had was around 7%. Bing up until this year was averaging 9% and recently has hit 15% Add the other 15% from Yahoo and that's how you get the 30%.

i use bing for the bing bar... so i can get my free MS Points for my Xbox Live account!!!!

Cha-Ching!

This is really good to hear, as i'm glad to see more relevant competition. Ever since 2-3 months after Bing came out, I havn't seriously used Google to search for stuff. Not only it is nice having those nice pictures on the background of the home page, but I find it to be easier to use than Google. Maybe it is just me, but I find more relevant stuff for what i'm searching for easier. I wasn't aware that people still used Yahoo these days, although I do prefer Yahoo driving directions and map to anything else.

i use bing for the bing bar... so i can get my free MS Points for my Xbox Live account!!!!

Cha-Ching!

gonna be honest, i do the same...except i get the amazon gift card (since i dont have an xbox and havent really wanted to buy anything from the windows market place thing)

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the Windows Update that includes IE9 and just so happens to set bing as your default P.O.S search.

These numbers are totally arbitrary. I'm a PC service technician and I deal with customers every day that insist I downgrade IE9 and change their search back to Google or *shudder* Yahoo.

From what I gather from my experience, most people don't have a clue what they are doing with search engines in a lot of cases, but from observations I've noticed that the majority of users, at least in my area, prefer Google because of it's sheer power and simplicity.

Bing is obtrusive, annoying, and if you like to update your computer, somewhat unavoidable if you don't know how to change your preferences, or uninstall unwanted TOOL BARS (which need to die a horrible death one of these days)

/end rant

I use them both Google and Bing. I find that both of them returned certain things better then the other. So screw picking one to do all my searching. I'll use whatever gets the job done. :p

same, i find both useful , i like bing's simplicity more sometimes, but heck, both are good, honestly though a majority of people hating that i know, only hates it because its an MS product. lol, alot of them dont really have an idea what they are talking about,lol

That means absolutely nothing, people have to manually type out google.com to get there and its still 64%. Bing only gets ANYTHING because its IEs default browser and people are too dumb to go to a real search engine. Yahoo is even way better than Bing.

I use bing also and I find it easy to use, or at least in some case it gave me required results much faster than google.

Meh, I've been using DuckDuckGo and IxQuick for the past 6 months and have been pleased with both.

tried bing just a couple of times and its garbage.

try using google with a time based search on specific websites and see how powerful google really is. not to metion google docs, dont have ms office? google docs is ur answer and its free.

Does yahoo/bing map's have a 3d like/angle view for maps?

That means absolutely nothing, people have to manually type out google.com to get there and its still 64%. Bing only gets ANYTHING because its IEs default browser and people are too dumb to go to a real search engine. Yahoo is even way better than Bing.

All Yahoo search data is powered by Bing in North America. The organic data was changed to Bing's algorithm back in September, and the paid ads were changed late in October. Yahoo is still Yahoo overseas though, but that'll change over time as the Microsoft-Yahoo alliance deal finalizes in the coming years.

Microsoft does have an advantage with stearing individuals to use Bing through their browser and operating systems, but let's not downplay the fact that they've also been airing commercials for Bing for quite some time now. They do have an impact.

It's a solid search engine. Is it as good as Google? Not yet, but even Google has stated that Bing is their biggest real competitor.

Proof? Give us a term to search.

Proof that searching with Bing yields garbage results.

I actually decided to give bing another try and I'm just laughing at how bing users are limiting themselves to their 2nd rate search engine:

bingvsgoogle.png

Everything you need to search is already provided by google under their logo, if you wanted to look for a gtx 580 in forums, just click more and discussions. I actually use this method to look for those quick sales: missed a (3) gtx580 sale each for $300, only because I wasn't looking.

Also bing's latest result is only a 24 hour, vs google's latest, past hour.

Bing at 30% in the US alone is funny because they need advertisements to get them this far, I'm still not buying what they are trying to sell. Google doesn't need to advertise or give points so I can get a discount, I've searched google enough to build an i7 965 + gtx 480 rig for under $550, back in October '10.

I cannot stand bing. It's the default on my browser at work, and they denied permissions to change it and it's awffffffffffffful.

Back