Bing Appears to be Blocked in China

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
NPR reports that Microsoft's search engine, Bing, appears to be blocked in China. Until Wednesday, Bing was one of the few foreign search engines that still worked inside the country, but NPR's Rob Schmitz confirmed that the site is no longer accessible, while noting that "China's internet regulator has yet to comment on the issue." The report notes that Facebook, Google, and Twitter are already blocked in China, and that the Chinese government even hacks into some Twitter accounts that try to circumvent the ban.

Bing had been allowed to operate in the country because it censored search results, Schmitz reports. Microsoft is also part of the Internet Society of China, "a government-linked body whose members refrain from establishing links to websites that contain information deemed harmful by China's Communist Party," Schmitz says. The Financial Times cites "two sources familiar with the government's order," who confirmed that China had blocked the search engine.

They found out that it is a fairly decent search engine.
At least someone is paying attention.
I feel like I am one of the few who has used it for years since I see little difference between it and Google 99% of the time.

Put your foot down harder on the necks of the people and you spark fires and fan the flames.

They found out that it is a fairly decent search engine.
At least someone is paying attention.
I feel like I am one of the few who has used it for years since I see little difference between it and Google 99% of the time.

It's not all about Bing's effectiveness. Some people would rather use a search engine that doesn't track you. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's either.

It's not all about Bing's effectiveness. Some people would rather use a search engine that doesn't track you. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's either.

What do you use to search?

So..... China gets Windows 10 without the telemetry and now its citizens aren't subjected to Bing's incompetent search.

Communism is sounding better everyday.
:woot:
Communism work if you can trade slave labor for food. Cool. Sign me up. :cautious:

Back