Billy Mitchell Has His Guiness Book Of World Record Scores Reinstated.

I can't say one way or the other but I've also heard he's really pretty cool.

Oh I suspect a lot of what is presented as Billy Mitchell(tm) is a persona he's crafted and there probably is a reasonably cool person at the center of that Tootsie Pop.
If others want to lick it to find out, be my guest, report back. ;)

He come across as a douche, but he's still pretty good at a lot of classic games (Pacman being another other than Donkey Kong). I'm lucky if I can get 200,000 in DK using MAME let alone anywhere near 1,000,000 with that kind of scrutiny.

All that to say, I guess being a douche is what people remember even if you are decently good at your craft.

why's that

they're cool, EniGmA1987
1592611842495.png

I don't know if I'm too old to "get" this discussion thread or too young.

Your use of scare quotes places you either before the common use of punctuation, or after it.

And we're a lot closer to text messaging than we are the telegraph.

The King of Kong was scripted ^^ it's staged / fiction

Calling a cheater "cool" is sad.
Getting involved in defending said cheater is a retarded action.
Cheating is bad...simple as that.

It's amazing how expensive those machines have become. 35 years ago, I had a friend who bought Pacman and Donkey Kong for about 200 each (used). I get it to some degree with Pinball (because most of the old tables are no longer made and reconditioning them can be expensive), but for old video games, they're dirt cheap for them to make them. I assume the most expensive components are the monitor (which is still pretty cheap) and the housing. I'd be more inclined to spend the bucks on pinball over a video game (though I think most older pinball machiens are more than 2100). I def wouldn't buy a pinball machine on Ebay. Gotta see it an play it to put out htat kinda cash...not sure about a video game.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: erek
like this
Are we sure erek isn't really Billy Mitchell in disguise? I haven't seen too many people say good things about the guy's personality or actions. The sheer fact that a lot of the people involved in the classic gaming scene (aka people that have met, worked with, or have heard the most about Mitchell) had zero problems believing that he cheated speaks fucking volumes about how disliked and distrusted he is.

Cheating aside Billy seemed like kind of a prick to me in that movie... whatevs.

Just think of the can of worms that was opened! Pete Rose could sue to finally get into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I keep reading about this stuff, and even watched the video. All I can think whenever I hear about this is: "How is this a thing?".

Even after cheating and piles of evidence to prove it he still gets to keep his records?

Guiness book should be relegated to toilet paper.
You mean those he repeatedly demonstrated live in front of witnesses, those records? Yes, he sure does get to keep them

Back