Billy “King of Kong” Mitchell’s Donkey Kong Scores Were a Lie

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
“King of Kong” star Billy Mitchell has officially been stripped of his high scores and considered a cheat following an investigation by video game record-tracking organization Twin Galaxies. His scores are considered invalid because they were achieved on emulation software (MAME) rather than an original, unmodified arcade machine. Thanks Comixbooks.

The investigation resulted in confirming long-held suspicions: the provided evidence tape of the King of Kong score didn't come from actual arcade hardware. Same goes for his 1,050,200-point "Mortgage Brokers" score. TG said there wasn't enough evidence to comfortably make a definitive judgment on a third score of 1,062,800.

It's been understood by a certain community for a really long time that his million point runs were all spliced mane footage. I think the bigger story here was the validation process and corruption on display by the organization. There was clearly preferential treatment in the analysis process of these world record applicants.

I hope that this paves the way for more rigorous criteria for world record attempts. If olympians have been brought in front of congress for their participation in defrauding the competition systems they competed in, how is this any different?

Games are not a niche anymore and we need to stand up for the integrity not only of our sport, but the athletes and judges that enable an even playing field. The standards we establish moving ahead will shape the future of wr gaming attempts. If the system is flawed, a new generation of gamers will distance themselves from it forever.

flbmok.jpg

This dude is weird and creepy. I guess we should all be happy he seems obsessed with games, cuz otherwise he'd probably be eating people or diddling little kids.
I don't know about that, but it's no joke. Several review panelists from Twin Galaxies are registered sex offenders. Similar story with D&D communities and official WOTC Magic the Gathering referees. Creeper congregations.

Its under a new owner which is why a lot if tgis is coming out. They are trying to clean it up after walter let it become a shit show.

that's great news

especially because they told Steve that he had to be in person to get the record and Billy just sent in a fucking tape that was obviously doctored.

I saw this story make it onto the BBC news site...my reaction was: "Donkey Kong" does anyone even care anymore and for newer arrivals on the planet do they even know what it is? I guess better late than never, but the story I read didn't say when this "record" was actually made.

It's been understood by a certain community for a really long time that his million point runs were all spliced mane footage. I think the bigger story here was the validation process and corruption on display by the organization. There was clearly preferential treatment in the analysis process of these world record applicants.

I hope that this paves the way for more rigorous criteria for world record attempts. If olympians have been brought in front of congress for their participation in defrauding the competition systems they competed in, how is this any different?

Games are not a niche anymore and we need to stand up for the integrity not only of our sport, but the athletes and judges that enable an even playing field. The standards we establish moving ahead will shape the future of wr gaming attempts. If the system is flawed, a new generation of gamers will distance themselves from it forever.

Doesn't help that him and Todd Rodgers all got "verified" by a certain referee. That referee has been proven to be full of shit and is now doing time for being a pedo.

Iirc he was the ref that faked swapping the board to a Kong board in one of Mitchell's recorded runs.

good.

cheating fuck

steve wiebe was robbed by a charlatan.
was going to say in that movie they were all on his ass because the motherboard/hardware that he used was from a "sketchy" source, and here we have the head honcho hot sauce stuck in the 70s/80s guy who can't let his 15 minutes go away using an emulator to get the scores :D

Good. Sounds like the whole system is full of moustache wearing A team van drivers.

No wonder I’ve always hated the short dude from game of thrones and Elf, these two are kindred spirits. I would say twins but well, more like the shwartzenegger devito type of twins lol.

Good. Sounds like the whole system is full of moustache wearing A team van drivers.

No wonder I’ve always hated the short dude from game of thrones and Elf, these two are kindred spirits. I would say twins but well, more like the shwartzenegger devito type of twins lol.
I see him more as a relative of that pharma bro turd. Two of the most punchable faces.

Doesn't help that him and Todd Rodgers all got "verified" by a certain referee. That referee has been proven to be full of shit and is now doing time for being a pedo.

Iirc he was the ref that faked swapping the board to a Kong board in one of Mitchell's recorded runs.

Yeah, the board swap was hilarious, almost as bad as the acting in said video. 'Both' board were clearly the same donky kong jr. board.

I'm somewhat surprised we don't have emulator defenders going on here. If you emulate exactly what the original did then who the hell cares?

I've seen a few variations of this story over the last few months.

Is it just plain he used an emulator and that isnt legal for high score or is there more to it?

I'm somewhat surprised we don't have emulator defenders going on here. If you emulate exactly what the original did then who the hell cares?
Emulation is great, but it is not always 100% perfectly the same. Often times it is slightly different on purpose. Things like bug and glitch fixes, resolution and sound quality improvements, speed and difficulty adjustments, pausing the game, etc. It allows for certain things to happen that real machines don't. If someone is using emulation and is not there in person, verifying gets a lot harder. I could understand if the standard is using a real machine if sending in a video, or requiring them to be in person if a emulator is used.

I freely admit that I only ever beat Battle Toads by running a certain part of that game @ 75% normal speed in an emulator. OK, Ok, ok, that one part was actually running @ 50%.

I've seen a few variations of this story over the last few months.

Is it just plain he used an emulator and that isnt legal for high score or is there more to it?

They allowed MAME emulation, but the problem with MAME is that you could save state. Thus, you get your perfect level 1, save the state, go to level 2, screw up, reload level 2 and retry, etc. Normally, there are some signals that you're doing this, e.g. hard audio transitions (if you look at the raw wave form, it will just from one place to another, rather than a smooth transition). One of the things brought up previously with Billy Mitchell was that he sent his attempts in by VHS, and mysteriously through the levels, there was VHS interference that miraculously happened at certain spots, typically between levels. And the referee let it slide. With this, it was a level transition was different.

Personally, I don't really care. The amount of people who concern themselves with being record holders for video games is probably very small to begin with.

I saw this story make it onto the BBC news site...my reaction was: "Donkey Kong" does anyone even care anymore and for newer arrivals on the planet do they even know what it is? I guess better late than never, but the story I read didn't say when this "record" was actually made.
Slow news cycle.

He looks like the older non-dwarf brother of Peter Dinklage.

Also sounds like a douche

billy-vs-peter.jpg

That's because Dnklage's character is based off Billy Mitchell
It was an obvious stab at Bitchell. You even find out later in the movie that he always cheated. I loved that they even made him talk about himself in the third person.

Back