Billionaire LA Times Owner Calls Social Media the 'Cancer' of Our Times

Forget research and long wordy articles, just give me a funny picture with an unverified quote and you got my attention.

Did you know that medicine will kill you but my special avocado lemonade mixed with urine will cure you of every ailment that expensive medicine definitely won't cure you of? Did you know that everyone who died, most likely took medicine at some point in their life, which definitely killed them?

for a low low price of $20,000 a month you can have all the Avocado Lemonade Urine you want and you definitely won't die of anything.

*picture of hot girl drinking something*

dude's liberal or conservative?

go use your billions to buy some media outlet then, geez

billionaires lamenting about shit they can actually buy....what a world we live in

Did you know that medicine will kill you but my special avocado lemonade mixed with urine will cure you of every ailment that expensive medicine definitely won't cure you of? Did you know that everyone who died, most likely took medicine at some point in their life, which definitely killed them?

for a low low price of $20,000 a month you can have all the Avocado Lemonade Urine you want and you definitely won't die of anything.

*picture of hot girl drinking something*
Yum I would love a Pee Guacomole Arnold Palmer...so smooth down the throat.

It is sad that people can't discern between what is news what is propaganda what is advertisements and what to make of it all.
I mean you could blame it on education but you could also blame it on how fleeting life has become.
People do not want anything in depth because that does not make a productive way to spend time and even TV is build around things with formats to sell advertisements.

You simply can not escape being exposed to it not even if you are a newspaper.

You maybe could draw parallels between how smoking was cool and in all the old movie classics you would be exposed to this if you wanted to or not.

Real news takes time and is based on facts everything you read on facebook prolly is not :) .

Reactions: GT98
like this
The LA times is a cancer and I hope this dude gets some cancer.

Fuck off.

100% agree.

People no longer do their research into news stories anymore. People take everything at face value & consider it to be the truth. To much trust has been instilled into social media.
Tinfoil hat time; Common Core Curriculum does not instruct students in critical thinking. Ask your average student a question or problem that requires lateral thinking and logic to solve without the aid of A.B.C. or D. choice; most them will be incapable of answering. Extrapolate that to an absolute torrent of information with a signal to noise ration akin to a piece of granulated sugar in a bucket of salt which is social media. Now layer on the well-researched psychology methods that employed by the social media providers and nefarious things start to happen. The average person does not have the ability to critically analyze a provided piece of information. Look at most biased pieces of "news"(and I am speaking from all ends of the spectrum); a truly biased piece, in print, will be loaded with "loaded" language and scant on facts until deep into the article. This is intentional because most Americans don't read more than 6 paragraphs into an article. It is extremely disturbing to me that we appear to be coming to a time where all critical thought and free exchange of ideas is coming to a rapid end.

Social media reminds me of those ridiculous ground shaking sound systems some people put in cars; by and large they have trash sound quality and reproduction and just basically loud and distorted.

Social media is not a cancer its and absolute PANDEMIC!

Real news has always been an issue. There's been fake news articles since there was printed media. (think first printing presses) People like to put their spin on things as long as the all mighty dollar or influence is on the line.

This guy can put as much spin on the bullshit he spouts. People have their biases and they speak with their cash and who they support.

Patrick believes the shlock that he is spouting because he's banking on it.

Ben Franklin famously printed his almanac competitor's obituary, Titan Leeds, in his almanac. http://www.greatseal.com/committees/firstcomm/BFalmanackhoax.html

Agree 100%, though my biggest concern about social media is on the social anxiety, false personality (trend followers and pathetically trying to be cool with everyone) and desperate need for social approbation in some social networks.

The main tumors IMO are Instagram (memes are cool tho) and Facebook, things such as:
• #like4like
• follower/friends number based egos and
• constantly making sure everyone knows what you are doing and how cool your life is

create social insecurity and people don't explore what they really want. Seriously imagine dealing with depression and seing people posting parties and fit bodies, what are this attention whores/gigolos going to do in their 60s with no hobbies and not knowing what to do.

I'll be building PCs, DIY projects,being a happy nerd and having a couple of true genuine friends

Its information but its in the moment information events and happenings.
While in the old days the newspaper would hit the curb and that is far as your internal brain would reach.
Now 3rd world countries use social media like Facebook as a dating site just what the world needs.

The main tumors IMO are Instagram (memes are cool tho) and Facebook, things such as:
• #like4like
• follower/friends number based egos and
• constantly making sure everyone knows what you are doing and how cool your life is

I feel bad for anyone still doing this constantly at 30+. Talk about unfulfilled.

I still post here and there on Facebook, but it's when my wife and I actually do something worth posting about and remembering, such as travel. And not posting about how "look at us having the time of our lives #yourlifesucks" on a random Friday night hammered at a local bar with a group of drinking buddies. (We actually stopped doing that since getting married)

Billionaires do not buy anything from the kindness of their hearts. There is more to this story, but you have to follow the reasons why Billionaires are buying media based companies of late.
Follow the money trail...

You think the other TV and Cable stations are better than FOX????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

They continually run flat out lies as breaking news and spend days upon days with the same lies and then as soon as those are worn out, they move onto new lies until they can't hold onto those anymore.

Then when they are found out they either just drop it or still continue to run the same thing into the ground and never issue correction or retractions.

They are an absolute disgrace and should be sued into oblivion for what they are doing.

They're all birds of a feather, but admittedly some of them have a bit more gloss on their feathers than others.

Fox is low rung, and to consider what Fox does as journalism is laughable. Why should any credibility be given to an outlet whose previous ringleader was unabashed when it came to do anything for a ratings boost?

Credit must be given to Fox, their approach with sensationalism and cheap parlor tricks was highly influential, and the neoliberal media outlets followed suit with their own brand of political circus.

Last edited:
Social media is just the tool. It's the users that are the cancer. Idiots will be idiots regardless of the media.

Cancer to your LA Times, you mean

for the rest of us, it's just a lingering case of diarrhea

If only he had the money or resources available to provide intelligent, accurate news, in an easy to read fashion..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA just screwing with you guys

Back