Bill Would Make It Illegal to Sell Electronics without Easily Replaceable Batteries

Well you can kiss thinnesss and water resistance goodbye
piffle. When it comes down to a 6mm phone thickness compared to 7mm.. no person on earth can "feel" that difference let alone have any legit reason to "save" oh so much volume! Give me a break. No wonder these company's can fool people when they are so easily convinced of rubbish.

The only thing stopping reasonable, customer enhancement driven features and functionality is big corporations and corporate decisions from corporations that are virtually to big to fail. For the engineers and designers, water proofing and removable battery combinations would be a walk in the park given the other actual challenging aspects they have to deal with. Its just that they are forced to give up usable functionality for whiz bang marketing bullet points and buzz words.

piffle. When it comes down to a 6mm phone thickness compared to 7mm.. no person on earth can "feel" that difference let alone have any legit reason to "save" oh so much volume! Give me a break. No wonder these company's can fool people when they are so easily convinced of rubbish.

The only thing stopping reasonable, customer enhancement driven features and functionality is big corporations and corporate decisions from corporations that are virtually to big to fail. For the engineers and designers, water proofing and removable battery combinations would be a walk in the park given the other actual challenging aspects they have to deal with. Its just that they are forced to give up usable functionality for whiz bang marketing bullet points and buzz words.

Bullshit IP67/68 is ver hard to achieve without O ring seals and you are not goint to do achieve that with removable battery covers.

Bullshit IP67/68 is ver hard to achieve without O ring seals and you are not goint to do achieve that with removable battery covers.

Keep your day job, because an engineer you are not. Waterproofing is a bullshit argument. It is fully possible to make a thin device that is completely water sealed to reasonable pressures and have the battery easily removable. Quit repeating FUD, it just makes you look dumb.

Keep your day job, because an engineer you are not. Waterproofing is a bullshit argument. It is fully possible to make a thin device that is completely water sealed to reasonable pressures and have the battery easily removable. Quit repeating FUD, it just makes you look dumb.

It is doable with a screwable battery cover to compress the oring. Apple will never do this and no government is going to tell them otherwise. They can just a easily pull out the of the country and tell them to f themselves.

It is not hard to change batteries in the newer ipphones seriously... takes 10 mins and some adhesive strips. It takes longer to change a car battery ffs.

It is doable with a screwable battery cover to compress the oring. Apple will never do this and no government is going to tell them otherwise. They can just a easily pull out the of the country and tell them to f themselves.

It is not hard to change batteries in the newer ipphones seriously... takes 10 mins and some adhesive strips. It takes longer to change a car battery ffs.

That is a far different statement than "It isn't possible".

Further I never said it was hard, I've been repairing small electronics including phones for ever a decade. However it IS hard for the average person and the newest iPhones aren't the biggest offender. This bill isn't aimed only at apple, though I do like how so many assume it is. Android manufacturers have gotten just as bad if not worse about non user replaceable batteries and there are a ton of other sealed electronics out there that don't need to be, especially small laptops. The whole waterproofing and security arguments are absolute and utter bunk. Now here is where I'm torn..I don't like laws like this as I believe they are an overreach of government power, but at the same time clearly the manufacturers don't have consumer interest as a concern either so a law like this actually helps more than it hurts. The whole argument of "Vote with your wallet" is disingenuous when there is absolutely no viable alternatives. If there was a good selection of premium devices out there for me to "Vote with my wallet", I wouldn't be in support of something like this. Unfortunately that is not the case.

That is a far different statement than "It isn't possible".

Further I never said it was hard, I've been repairing small electronics including phones for ever a decade. However it IS hard for the average person and the newest iPhones aren't the biggest offender. This bill isn't aimed only at apple, though I do like how so many assume it is. Android manufacturers have gotten just as bad if not worse about non user replaceable batteries and there are a ton of other sealed electronics out there that don't need to be, especially small laptops. The whole waterproofing and security arguments are absolute and utter bunk. Now here is where I'm torn..I don't like laws like this as I believe they are an overreach of government power, but at the same time clearly the manufacturers don't have consumer interest as a concern either so a law like this actually helps more than it hurts. The whole argument of "Vote with your wallet" is disingenuous when there is absolutely no viable alternatives. If there was a good selection of premium devices out there for me to "Vote with my wallet", I wouldn't be in support of something like this. Unfortunately that is not the case.

I can echo this. My mother-in-law's Asus Zenfone2 had the battery go bad. Good phone otherwise. I looked into replacing it, and it was going to be way more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. I decided to upgrade her to a Galaxy S7.

The general feeling out there seems to be that this is what they WANT you to do. Get frustrated with the difficulty of what should be a 2-second thing (open door, replace) and just decide to buy another instead.

I want am and fm radio on my phone damnit

Software:
http://sdrtouch.com/

Inexpensive good tuner and antennas:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HVUEME

Can use thins 180 USB to go adapter to make the dongle sit nice against the back of the phone:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KCBQ7LM

Battery life doing this is terrible, maybe a good hour of listening. But it's honest to goodness local radio on your phone. Can even use this setup to listen to walkie talkies and hams talking to each other.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What do you mean it's not easy to replace these batteries? You just take the phone apart and swap batteries.

Pretty much. I remember the older iPhone 3g's had a battery that was soldered in. I'm surprised with these "water resistant" phones that they aren't the same.

I'll take a user replaceable battery please.

In 25 years of mobile phone use I have never dropped a phone much less dropped one in my pint or the toilet.

Waterproofing all phones so no one does batteries anymore is pandering to clumsy folks.

But we know that's not really the main reason. Bad batteries means more sales.

Washington State.

First they took our plastic bags.
Then they took our straws.
Now they're taking our phones.

What's the BS I'm seeing about the straws? The proposed law just said you have to ask if you want one...big fucking deal, like it's so hard to ask for one-- have you seen what plastic pollution is doing to the oceans? You do know how much O2 we get from them right?

Hey that's your guys representatives down in SoCal who has the brilliant idea of not giving straws to people. My guys only banned toys in Happy Meals, made bags cost money, and put extra taxes on sugary drinks.

Not my guys. I disown any representatives from LA county. Even orange county is being polluted with people moving from LA.

What's the BS I'm seeing about the straws? The proposed law just said you have to ask if you want one...big fucking deal, like it's so hard to ask for one-- have you seen what plastic pollution is doing to the oceans? You do know how much O2 we get from them right?

So you are ok with sending someone to jail for 6 months if they forget to ask?
Meanwhile you can get caught shoplift an $800 TV 10 times in a single day, and you only get ticketed and released here in California.

So you are ok with sending someone to jail for 6 months if they forget to ask?
Meanwhile you can get caught shoplift an $800 TV 10 times in a single day, and you only get ticketed and released here in California.
Bull shit. You won't go to jail. No one will. All the servers have to do is not put out straws at every place setting and they don't get in trouble...how hard is that? All the customer has to do is ask for a straw if they want one...how hard is that?

A lot of places with water shortages do this with drinking water. Ever hear of a server going to jail for putting out a glass of water, no, they know to only do it if the customer asks.

to many bills\laws start enforcing the ones By The Constitution first then ban all other stupid people and laws next
Smartphone companies should just ignore the laws. The federal government does.

Bull shit. You won't go to jail. No one will. All the servers have to do is not put out straws at every place setting and they don't get in trouble...how hard is that? All the customer has to do is ask for a straw if they want one...how hard is that?
The law is the law. Why threaten to jail people if it's not going to be enforced? If the state doesn't enforce its laws, we should just ignore them all, right?

It's a stupid law being crammed down people's throats for no good reason other than for the state to exert more control over the sheeple that are willing to give up their freedom.

I just used a paper straw at Ted's Montana Grill. It's like sucking on a TP roll, which starts to collapse after about 30 minutes. It doesn't suck!

Last edited:
Door with rubber gasket. Problem solved. NEXT.

If I can design water resistant implantable medical devices with openable doors that reside inside a human body for life, then they can bloody well do it for a silly little phone. This is not an excuse.

/thread (he won it just close it already)

I just used a paper straw at Ted's Montana Grill. It's like sucking on a TP roll, which starts to collapse after about 30 minutes. It doesn't suck!

Then drink your drink like an adult and not a 4 year old. Problem solved.

You could stick a dummy from a baby bottle over it I guess, similar principle. No one would think any less of you I'm sure, it's 'freedom' and all that.

A lot of places with water shortages do this with drinking water. Ever hear of a server going to jail for putting out a glass of water, no, they know to only do it if the customer asks.

Then why put the 6 months in jail in the law?

When we go out to lunch as a group, some places will place several straws on the table, so the people who want straws can take them. Now they will have to ask each person, or more likely each person will have to wave down the waiter and ask for a straw.

Then why put the 6 months in jail in the law?

When we go out to lunch as a group, some places will place several straws on the table, so the people who want straws can take them. Now they will have to ask each person, or more likely each person will have to wave down the waiter and ask for a straw.
Why put a jail term in any law? You're seriously asking that? Again what's so hard asking for a straw, waitress comes for order, you order milkshake and a straw big deal. But hey you'd rather increase pollution hope you enjoy eating plastic.

As much as I would yearn for a bill like this.... this is pure facism. Let people vote with thier dollars. Companies will get the message.

Why put a jail term in any law? You're seriously asking that? Again what's so hard asking for a straw, waitress comes for order, you order milkshake and a straw big deal. But hey you'd rather increase pollution hope you enjoy eating plastic.

No, I just think the government should stick to what it's supposed to due, like jailing muggers, robbers and other real criminals.
The fact that people support a law like this just shows how far we as a country has strayed from the constitution.

Reactions: dugn
like this
No, I just think the government should stick to what it's supposed to due, like jailing muggers, robbers and other real criminals.
The fact that people support a law like this just shows how far we as a country has strayed from the constitution.

The constitution has nothing to do with this. The constitution grants congress the right to enact laws, including laws that prohibit straw use if they see fit.

That being said, I find the war on straws rather ridiculous. All of the problems in the world, including some pretty serious environmental ones, and people are worrying their little heads about straws?

How exactly does changing a battery lead to safety and cybersecurity issues?

This bill isn't just about batteries guys, come on. It's also about making the phones reparable by third party business as well. Repair is a pretty general term so it is also fairly encompassing. The idea is that if there is a bad chip, I can replace it, but now I can replace it with a custom chip, etc.

The constitution has nothing to do with this. The constitution grants congress the right to enact laws, including laws that prohibit straw use if they see fit.

That being said, I find the war on straws rather ridiculous. All of the problems in the world, including some pretty serious environmental ones, and people are worrying their little heads about straws?
With that attitude nothing much gets done. Yeah it's a small step, combine it with a lot of other small steps though and you might get somewhere.

So I just picked up on this "straw" discussion and I'm a little .... um .....dismayed, astounded, I'm not sure what to call it.

Someone mentions the law that forbids food establishments from automatically dispensing straws with drinks thereby requiring patrons to request a straw if they want on.

Someone else interprets this as a law that requires restaurant workers to ask if a patron would like a straw, and would punish the worker with a 6 year sentence if they failed to ask a customer the required question ..... talk about getting things backwards.

Then someone else thinks the US Constitution has something to do with a new State Law ....... Maybe the 10th if you stretch it some ..... and realize that the only thing the 10th is doing is keeping the Federal Government from exercising power not otherwise granted by the rest of the Constitution .... so ......Laws about Straws are reserved to the States?

I thought I liked to pick internet fights :ROFLMAO:

You guys putting me to shame, I gota step up my game :sneaky:

EDITED for dramatic effect

Last edited:
Smartphone companies should just ignore the laws. The federal government does.

The law is the law. Why threaten to jail people if it's not going to be enforced? If the state doesn't enforce its laws, we should just ignore them all, right?

It's a stupid law being crammed down people's throats for no good reason other than for the state to exert more control over the sheeple that are willing to give up their freedom.

I guess I have to spell it out: it would be a misdemeanor. A fairly minor one, but misdemeanors come with the threat of jail. It's the threat that makes people who might otherwise ignore the law obey it. In a perfect world you wouldn't need to threaten people but we do not live on Vulcan where everyone learns and follows logic. Where the hell is having to ASK FOR A STRAW (to help reduce pollution which effect everyone) losing a freedom?--talk about taking things out of proportion. My suggestion to people who want to damage the environment all they want, please move to a different planet.

As much as I would yearn for a bill like this.... this is pure facism. Let people vote with thier dollars. Companies will get the message.

That does not work. I would bet they could show a video of a child getting her head chopped off with the explanation of, "for every 5,000 phones we make e have to sacrifice a child" and it would not hurt sales one bit.

People stop voting with thier wallets if it means giving up a toy. We are too seflish and self-absorbed to do that anymore, thus nanny laws are created so we do not have to give up our toys.

This is a good bill, but first they should push a bill similar to the one in the EU that states all devices should support a standardized USB charger. It isn't a huge deal now that everyone except for apple uses USB. However, it would be nice to get everyone on the same port.

This is a good bill, but first they should push a bill similar to the one in the EU that states all devices should support a standardized USB charger. It isn't a huge deal now that everyone except for apple uses USB. However, it would be nice to get everyone on the same port.

Lets just pass a bill that everyone must use the same toothbrush or buy only an LG tv or only brand X gasoline/petrol and everyone must purchase only Monsanto engineered corn. Where does one stop with the fascist control?

You have no idea what your supporting... or maybe you do.

Just because they're easily replaced doesn’t mean finding replacements will be easy... wonder if they considered that.

Just because they're easily replaced doesn’t mean finding replacements will be easy... wonder if they considered that.

If you can open a door and replace a battery it will be easier to do which will result in more people wanting to do it, which will result in higher demand, which will result in more economic incentive to produce and sell these batteries.

You can find batteries on Amazon for pretty much every smartphone released in the past 5-10 years with a removable battery.

Sure, if you went with something more exotic and lower volume, it may be more difficult to find.

You just don't get it. These are fucking plastic straws. They are destroying our precious environment. Do you know how many holes are lost to each straw? 1. It just goes all the way through. That is just not efficient.

We need to regulate the shit out of plastic straws, and if those infidels are giving them out without being asked (and then asked if they are really sure they want to kill a moose with their plastic straw litter from the refuse dump), then they should be jailed. 6 months is too lenient, but we have to start somewhere.

w5fdhx6mp3dy.gif

Nah, I don't care. It's a huge overreach, but it is California. They are in their own little world down there. I don't agree with most of the laws they propose....

Reactions: dugn
like this
Then why put the 6 months in jail in the law?...................

He's not saying no one will ever be charged or suggesting that the law won't be enforced, he's saying no one will break the law because it's a no brainer to avoid breaking it.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
It sure would be nice if the Government didn't try and regulate everything.

I little bit of Googling seems to point to a growing movement acrossed much of the world to reduce our use of disposable plastics. Were talking about people, people asking their governments to help. Not every government action or new law is "Government trying to regulate everything".

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
Lets just pass a bill that everyone must use the same toothbrush or buy only an LG tv or only brand X gasoline/petrol and everyone must purchase only Monsanto engineered corn. Where does one stop with the fascist control?

You have no idea what your supporting... or maybe you do.
I've lived in China for 6 years, government regulations brought a lot of major improvements.
I've lived in the EU now for 4 years, and laws to reduce waste and improve conformity across standards have helped consumers. I don't miss the days of having a drawer full of phone chargers.
I know some american's are afraid of government over site, this could be related to the power of lobbyists to shape things in their favor.
I suppose you are against regulations on food safety and net nutrality? The free market will hold your ISP and mobile carriers accountable?
It seems things are much better in Europe. I pay £10 a month for my phone (for £20 I can get unlimited data and calling).
Another friend has a plan with unlimited data and teathering.
For internet I pay £20 for 100/100mb unlimited. 1Gb is also available for a little more.

New government regulations:
I can cancel my phone carrier with a text.
I can take my number with me.
Carriers need to provide the total cost of a plan over the contract.
BT, one of the largest carriers and the owner of all the lines had to separate. Now Openreach owns the lines and all ISPs get equal access.
Government regulation prevent the import of US chlorinated meat.
As a renter, my deposit is locked by the government so the landlord doesn't screw me over.
If the landlord doesn't comply I can sue them.

I know you are butt hurt that your government has banned bump stocks and you afraid they will take your guns, but get over it.
It's just a straw, pick of your beer, take out the umbrella and drink it like a man.

I've lived in China for 6 years, government regulations brought a lot of major improvements.
I've lived in the EU now for 4 years, and laws to reduce waste and improve conformity across standards have helped consumers. I don't miss the days of having a drawer full of phone chargers.
I know some american's are afraid of government over site, this could be related to the power of lobbyists to shape things in their favor.
I suppose you are against regulations on food safety and net nutrality? The free market will hold your ISP and mobile carriers accountable?
It seems things are much better in Europe. I pay £10 a month for my phone (for £20 I can get unlimited data and calling).
Another friend has a plan with unlimited data and teathering.
For internet I pay £20 for 100/100mb unlimited. 1Gb is also available for a little more.

New government regulations:
I can cancel my phone carrier with a text.
I can take my number with me.
Carriers need to provide the total cost of a plan over the contract.
BT, one of the largest carriers and the owner of all the lines had to separate. Now Openreach owns the lines and all ISPs get equal access.
Government regulation prevent the import of US chlorinated meat.
As a renter, my deposit is locked by the government so the landlord doesn't screw me over.
If the landlord doesn't comply I can sue them.

I know you are butt hurt that your government has banned bump stocks and you afraid they will take your guns, but get over it.
It's just a straw, pick of your beer, take out the umbrella and drink it like a man.

Meh ... mind your nations business and well mind ours. I never should have engaged in this conversation. 99% of Hardforums would rather see to it that the world was dominated by a total control grid despot it seems judging by all the responses over the years.

Last edited:
Back