Bill Gates Unleashed a Swarm Of Live Mosquitoes on Crowd

1.) I completely agree with Bill. These poor people live horrible tragic lives and we must ease their pain and suffering by putting them out of their misery...?
2.) I think Bill just showed us the starting point where genius evolves into evil genius.
3.) Bill has completely lost it. First the Seinfield commercials, now this?

You know, I hate to play devil's advocate here ...

But good for Bill. That's just a small taste of what the impoverished experience every day of their lives. It's harder (not impossible, but harder) to comprehend and feel genuine compassion for someone whose condition you may not truly understand. If I had been there, I would've appreciated the reality check. I would assume he took precautions.

The well-to-do in their air conditioned offices could use a nice reality check, too. I've lived in a third world country for an extended period of time. I think everyone should get that experience, if nothing else, just to better appreciate what they have. Imagine not having hot water, or running water for that matter.... It's like you are living with all the disadvantages of being in the wild with none of the advantages. You have no amenities, but are still surrounded by a bustling, noisy city ...

Now at least they have tasted a part of the problem - swarms of mosquitos.

Because everyone works in an air-conditioned office in the Western half of the US where there are no or very few mosquitos.:rolleyes:

I fail to see what mosquitos have to do with being poor anyway. Now, if he forced attendees to go without food for a few days, and dress in raggedy clothes, and give up all of their electronics, and stuck them in a hot room without ac, I could understand, but bugs? I think third world poor people have bigger things to worry about than insects. It's admirable that he is trying to wipe out diseases like Malaria (at least I think that's his goal), but if I was an attendee and exposed to a swarm of insects, and maybe even bitten, I think the last thing I would be inclined to do is sympathize with poor people and donate to his cause.

1.) I completely agree with Bill. These poor people live horrible tragic lives and we must ease their pain and suffering by putting them out of their misery...?
2.) I think Bill just showed us the starting point where genius evolves into evil genius.
3.) Bill has completely lost it. First the Seinfield commercials, now this?

LOL, this is pure gold. I didn't read it carefully enough at first, but you are right on.

how do you guys know the bugs werent lab-raised? i would be really surprised if he didnt take proper precautions.

and uhhhh sue him? for WHQAT? hot coffee in lap?

In today's sue-happy culture? Man,this is tailor made for court action!

[21CW]killerofall;1033692923 said:
I have been a real swarm of misquotes (aka it looked liked a cloud of bugs) and I can tell you that it isn't fun at all. Now I wonder if he really released a swarm or was it just a few hundred or thousand instead of 10's of thousands.

that must be a real trick there.:D

Gates has clearly lost it since retirement. Somebody should sue the crap out of him for a stupid stunt like that.

On what grounds? Shouldn't he have to do something wrong first?

Awsome "pay attention to me speak" stunt. Only a super-pansy would be bitching about a few bugs like this. It's not like he released a swarm of angry hornets.

I fail to see what mosquitos have to do with being poor anyway. Now, if he forced attendees to go without food for a few days, and dress in raggedy clothes, and give up all of their electronics, and stuck them in a hot room without ac, I could understand, but bugs? I think third world poor people have bigger things to worry about than insects.

Uh... no? Easily, and cheaply preventable diseases, like malaria and cholera, are still a major problem in sub-Saharan Africa, and they are one of the biggest things to worry about. Part of the problem is people are so focused on AIDS medicine, which is expensive and ineffective, rather than dealing with the simple stuff first.

publicity stunt. I wouldn't sue, but id be pissed off if one of them bit me.
no its not a big deal, but its a childish jerk thing to do.

I would rather look like a immature jerk who made my statements clear, than a push over everyone loved. Truth hurts sometimes.

Do you know what the best thing against malaria and mosquitoes is? DDT. Yep, that's right, the evil pesticide of the sixties. Simply spray the huts that people live in on the Africa continent and the mosquitoes stay away from the huts and the people don't even get sick from the DDT.

which is better for gaining sympathy and therefore donations for your cause?
Why don't you ask the participants? I would guess since you and I haven't experienced this situation that we only have an outsiders view. So, I wouldn’t' want to say that it had negative or positive push for his cause. But I will say that sometimes knowing is half the battle! :)

I know that sometimes there were things in my life that I’ve experienced that I detested, but in hindsight they made perfect sense.

Do you know what the best thing against malaria and mosquitoes is? DDT. Yep, that's right, the evil pesticide of the sixties. Simply spray the huts that people live in on the Africa continent and the mosquitoes stay away from the huts and the people don't even get sick from the DDT.

Problem is that things like that is not bad only for the mosquitoes, it's the fact that it kills birds and crap that eat the birds/worms/fish.

Secondly, you'd have some Ambulance lawyers wanting to sue governments or countries for spraying these things on people.

Why don't you ask the participants? I would guess since you and I haven't experienced this situation that we only have an outsiders view. So, I wouldn’t' want to say that it had negative or positive push for his cause. But I will say that sometimes knowing is half the battle! :)

I know that sometimes there were things in my life that I’ve experienced that I detested, but in hindsight they made perfect sense.

I know how I would respond. At best id be irked, at worst, pissed off.

I'd probably be annoyed, but I already know what it's like to be eaten alive by mosquitos. If I was an investor, I would readily donate. Living in a mosquito infested hovel in the jungles of African and South America is pure hell.

We're talking about rich people here. Pampered and living in the lap of luxury, camping in RVs or the nearest Hilton. They'd be thinking "what? That little thing causing misery? God these people whine about everything" and walk out tossing a couple bucks in disdain instead of a thousands they need to combat the infestations and disease.

Bill did what he had to do to wake them up. The author of the article summed it up nicely: as far as stunts go, this is prit-tay fucking awesome. We would know. Bravo Bill-your sense of humor does geeks proud.

By the way Steve, your link has one "h" too many. I guess that makes it a [H] link ;)

As soon as we win the battle against malaria and save all these millions of lives, how are we going to feed them? We already can't feed all the people in our own country. We need to figure out how to slow population growth. Or, Bell Gates needs to make a sizable donation to Heifer International.

Nice stunt, Bill.

As soon as we win the battle against malaria and save all these millions of lives, how are we going to feed them? We already can't feed all the people in our own country. We need to figure out how to slow population growth. Or, Bell Gates needs to make a sizable donation to Heifer International.

Nice stunt, Bill.

One thing at a time. They can't very well farm when they're all too busy dying from diseases.

Bill Gates has balls the size of watermelons made out of pure titanium.

The only way this could have been any more amazing is if the mosquitoes actually had malaria. Then he could add at the end, "When you walked in here, you probably didn't care about malaria. But now that you do, does it now matter enough for you to donate?"

I would have taken my shoe off to throw it on bill. oh wait, someone already had that idea...

Nice stunt, Bill.
You might as well give up on life. We can't solve all the problems in the world at once.

Hey,Bill,if you're so concerned about this cause,here's an idea.Instead of staging infantile publicity stunts,how about donating your billions to it?

Hey,Bill,if you're so concerned about this cause,here's an idea.Instead of staging infantile publicity stunts,how about donating your billions to it?
Hi, he already does. It's called the William and Melinda Gates Foundation. He even got Warren Buffet to commit his money to Gates' foundation.

Someone's been out of the loop.

You know what was great for fighting malaria and brought cases to malaria the lowest they ever were: DDT. People in poorer countries quite nearly ate the stuff and were fine. Then we had to tell them sorry you have to risk death because DDT might be killing some birds. Gates should just buy them some DDT.

OMFG mosquitos!:p During some times of the year I can get bit 5 times just walking 30 feet from the front door to the car lol Then the things follow me into the car! Try getting bit by a horsefly then you will man up some. That's what Bill should release next! Yea!:p

Unlike insects which surreptitiously puncture the skin with needle-like organs, horse flies have mandibles like tiny serrated scimitars, which they use to rip and/or slice flesh apart.

Some say he likes to release mosquito's onto helpless audiences, and that he uses a shock collar on Balmer when he was in the office....all we know is, he's called Bill Gates.

I have images in my mind of Bill flailing his arms wildly and falling off the stage as the mosquitos attack him first. :D

AAAAA! Get 'em off! Get 'em off!

Back