Bill Gates predicts our work meetings will move to metaverse in 2-3 years

Not to mention something that I personally know happened. Someone was interviewing for a remote dev job. Like our company, the hiring company's interview is basically paired programming for half a day. The person refused to turn their camera on. Through it all, they ended up getting hired. Within about 2 weeks of starting, some things started to not add up at all. Turns out, the person paid someone else to do the interview for them so they would land the job.
For this, and many other reasons, if you cannot turn your camera on for a job interview, you should be immediately dismissed.

Yes some companies are filled with dicks, but if M76's colleague was a dick (there is a difference between drilling someone's knowledge, and being a dick to pressure someone) then its a great red flag that hey, you probably don't want to work with these people. Communication goes two ways unless one party has their lights out.

Not to mention something that I personally know happened. Someone was interviewing for a remote dev job. Like our company, the hiring company's interview is basically paired programming for half a day. The person refused to turn their camera on. Through it all, they ended up getting hired. Within about 2 weeks of starting, some things started to not add up at all. Turns out, the person paid someone else to do the interview for them so they would land the job.

Pandemic times are difficult, but that seems more like a problem with the hiring process than anything else.

I wouldn't hire someone without having met with them in person. No exceptions.

Joel on Software would have some pretty interesting things to say about this considering his recommendations for hiring people.

Pandemic times are difficult, but that seems more like a problem with the hiring process than anything else.

I wouldn't hire someone without having met with them in person. No exceptions.

Joel on Software would have some pretty interesting things to say about this considering his recommendations for hiring people.
We have some of the best people working for us. If we had to physically meet everyone that worked for us, it'd be near impossible. Hence why we have all this technology for remote interaction, including turning your damn camera on. My closest teammate is a 2 hour drive away, most are spread out even father. Some teams here have teammates across the globe. Meeting in person is just not gonna happen. Grow up, use your camera, and be a productive member of the workforce.

I have no issues with the camera for increased engagement in real meetings. I find all the body language stuff helps communicate more effectively than strictly audio. People can see you winding up to talk, people can see general agreement, etc.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with the camera is that I can't look like a total slob as would be the case if the camera was off. My wife takes the same amount of time she would if she was actually going into the office. Baffling

If they invent a filter which could make me look interested during meetings, I'd buy it.

Last edited:

VeryInterested.jpg

in some fairly tense situations (million+ dollars on the line) and yes, I want people to use their cameras,
A million dollars?? lol ... you have no idea what tense or serious is. You really have no idea. When the legal bills are million dollars you'll begin to understand.

Last edited:
What is this a dick measuring contest? If i told you I annually have files hitting 500m would that make you feel better?

Regular, as in daily.
If it was you'd have already won the thread, but not in the way you're meaning.

What is this a dick measuring contest? If i told you I annually have files hitting 500m would that make you feel better?

Regular, as in daily.
As I said you have no idea what serious really is. It may very well be a very big deal to you but to a vast many others it doesn't even register as a blip. For example my wife works multiple 30M+ plus deals a week. Her primary attorney wouldn't even consider a deal under 10M and for that happen to there had better be a lot more on line. In general the only people that demand cameras on tend to be those with control issues or prior bad experience such as Eulogy. It seems you fall into the first category. Testing situations as described by Eulogy need scrutiny. General meetings on the other hand do not.

As I said you have no idea what serious really is. It may very well be a very big deal to you but to a vast many others it doesn't even register as a blip. For example my wife works multiple 30M+ plus deals a week. Her primary attorney wouldn't even consider a deal under 10M and for that happen to there had better be a lot more on line. In general the only people that demand cameras on tend to be those with control issues or prior bad experience such as Eulogy. It seems you fall into the first category. Testing situations as described by Eulogy need scrutiny. General meetings on the other hand do not.
Yeah. Definitely don't need them on for standup and such. No one gets bent out of shape if someone doesn't have their camera on. But, all in all, I think it's nice when folks do. It's a collaborative team and seeing each other is nice, if not beneficial. Especially when pairing (paired programming is big where I am), you get a lot from visual interaction; we've definitely noticed changes when people don't turn on their cam.

companies won't even let their employees work from home full time, how is this going to work?

Yeah. Definitely don't need them on for standup and such. No one gets bent out of shape if someone doesn't have their camera on. But, all in all, I think it's nice when folks do. It's a collaborative team and seeing each other is nice, if not beneficial. Especially when pairing (paired programming is big where I am), you get a lot from visual interaction; we've definitely noticed changes when people don't turn on their cam.
It's huge. It really is. All those social cues we normally use - well, they're important! I can't imagine being in a "big deal" meeting (or important design session, etc) without having those little tips to see "they're comfortable" / "they're skeptical" / "there was nodding, but some dissent, I need to target those folks".

I'm just happy video meetings are now an acceptable substitute to me having to drive or fly somewhere for a meeting. I've started doing a "virtual handshake" on video, and you know - as corny as it sounds - people love it!
So much of business is about connections, and being a real human to another real human matters. At least in my humble experience.

companies won't even let their employees work from home full time, how is this going to work?
Tons of companies do. I don't get your point here. When WFH, even if not 100% of the time, having a camera is beneficial IMO.

lol, because they dont even work. literally.
This does not align with my experience.

My team is all remote. All the companies I work with are still all remote. Productivity and satisfaction are higher than when we were all in person (I think it's me). Folks will voluntarily work that extra hour when they can hug their kid in the day, eat with a spouse, grab a beer, think a moment, get an idea, go back to it. The new world is working VERY well for me in the engineering-realm.

My team is all remote. All the companies I work with are still all remote. Productivity and satisfaction are higher than when we were all in person (I think it's me). Folks will voluntarily work that extra hour when they can hug their kid in the day, eat with a spouse, grab a beer, think a moment, get an idea, go back to it. The new world is working VERY well for me in the engineering-realm.
Thats good to hear. I'm not seeing that though.

Saaaaame. My company has -always- been remote. Even the in-office folks are treated the same as remote workers. Engineers (at least up to Staff level, and the one Principal level that I know) are 100% remote unless they want to go into an office for a day... which there's no work benefit to, since every team is so distributed. I've been WFH for >7 years now and won't even think about another job unless it is WFH. Not gonna waste an hour or more of my life sitting in a car getting to/from employment.
But I'm WAY off topic now.

That has been my experience and the company's. Most of my division is WFH and has been long before this current mess. They have found that they are much more productive than other divisions that are not as WFH friendly. My team is distributed from eastern Europe to Hawaii and aside from the struggle of getting the whole team together for a bi-weekly meeting without abusing anyone too much it works beautifully. We absolutely depend on screen sharing, im and email. No one uses cameras as it detracts from job. Some I've met others not. I worked for my current manager almost 6 years before I met him at a vendor conference in Chicago. Prior to that had only seen his face in our company directory. The only meetings that use cameras are all hands division meetings when the top brass want to be seen "leading."

But, all in all, I think it's nice when folks do. It's a collaborative team and seeing each other is nice, if not beneficial. Especially when pairing (paired programming is big where I am), you get a lot from visual interaction; we've definitely noticed changes when people don't turn on their cam.

Why?

I know what my colleagues look like. Seeing their faces on my screen is just kind of creepy, and wastes desktop real estate.

What I really need to see is whatever we are talking about on the screen share...

I've never understood people who socialize at work.

Sure, I make pleasant small talk to not offend people, but in my 25 years of working, I've never made a friend at work, and never want to. I'm not there to make friends, I'm there to get shit done. I find all the random chit-chat and socializing with people I don't even like to be a tremendous waste of my time.

I have real friends and family I want to socialize with, and the more these cretin waste my time talking to me about non-work stuff, the less time I have to spend with the people I DO want to socialize with.

People who are "people persons" at work, need to kindly fuck off, and not assume that everyone is like them. The truth is, most people are not, and we are fucking tired of dealing with your bullshit.

Last edited:
That has been my experience and the company's. Most of my division is WFH and has been long before this current mess. They have found that they are much more productive than other divisions that are not as WFH friendly. My team is distributed from eastern Europe to Hawaii and aside from the struggle of getting the whole team together for a bi-weekly meeting without abusing anyone too much it works beautifully. We absolutely depend on screen sharing, im and email. No one uses cameras as it detracts from job. Some I've met others not. I worked for my current manager almost 6 years before I met him at a vendor conference in Chicago. Prior to that had only seen his face in our company directory. The only meetings that use cameras are all hands division meetings when the top brass want to be seen "leading."

There is research to back this up.

A Chinese travel agency was considering moving to more of a work at home model because in the city where they were located, real estate was getting more and more expensive.

So they funded a British researcher to come in and do a multi-thousand person randomized trial.

They were trying to find out if the lost productivity from working from home could be offset by the savings in real estate.

When they saw the actual results, an average increase in productivity of some 13%, they were shocked.

There is an interview with the researcher here:

https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/the-one-room-commute/

I think I'd almost literally rather live in a Cyberpunk dystopia.
It's kind of sad that this has gone from "meme" to the reality that we have fully found ourselves in, with no stopping in sight. :borg:

F1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.jpg

Yeah. It's 2022. We're in the cyberpunk future. Just accept it and start looking the part.

https://niepceinc.com/collections/techwear-x-cyberpunk
Looks more like some hipster's interpretation of what cyberpunk is.
A hipster wouldn't be found dead in those cloths. More like a 16 year-old flat-earther who just discovered Rage Against the Machine.
Many people might laugh at those clothing/tech styles, but each day I am seeing more and more people dress like that to the point it is beyond "subculture".
Combine that with how people dressed in The Fifth Element (1997) and boom, 2020s mainstream culture. 🤖

Last edited:
To be serious for a moment, this pandemic has shown us that working from home or otherwise remotely is very possible for many of us. Less cars on the road and the employees generally like it better. In many cases they also work harder. Less distractions like bullshit office politics.

Where I work there is a huge amount of continuing training. I have multiple courses every year. My company rents a lot of office space to use as classrooms. During covid, we've done most of it through MS teams. Personally, I love it and learn better. If we kept doing this, the company wouldn't have to rent all that office space or at least far less.

However, I doubt it'll happen. Responses I've had from managers is bullshit reasons like "team building". Hey assholes, nobody cares about the team. We just want to come and do our job and go home. This is why it will fail. Morons at the helm.

To be serious for a moment, this pandemic has shown us that working from home or otherwise remotely is very possible for many of us. Less cars on the road and the employees generally like it better. In many cases they also work harder. Less distractions like bullshit office politics.

Where I work there is a huge amount of continuing training. I have multiple courses every year. My company rents a lot of office space to use as classrooms. During covid, we've done most of it through MS teams. Personally, I love it and learn better. If we kept doing this, the company wouldn't have to rent all that office space or at least far less.

However, I doubt it'll happen. Responses I've had from managers is bullshit reasons like "team building". Hey assholes, nobody cares about the team. We just want to come and do our job and go home. This is why it will fail. Morons at the helm.
The main problem may be that the manager originally got their job to be a glorified taskmaster and upper level management spy with a directive to periodically look over your shoulder, and make pointless reports related to things like "on task time" and "gets-along/doesn't-get-along with others" rather than measuring worker output in terms of actual delivered results, which can be especially difficult in some fields where bad workers can churn out a ton of output which never actually contributes anything. If you're not in a cubicle somewhere that the manager can walk around and verify you appear to be doing X instead of any other Y then what is the point of that manager?

Put another way, it's very difficult to get someone to understand the advantages of something, when that something also stands in direct opposition to their ability to keep making money.

Here's my take on work from home. Your mileage may vary. I find different industries / countries / regions / cultures just deal with these issues differently so the expectation that there is a one-size-fits-all answer to work from home is ridiculous. What works in one region / industry may be a death knell to another.

That said ...

In the many virtual meetings I've been involved in over the past number of years I find engagement is far less in virtual meetings than in-person meetings. Heck, even pre-pandemic people had starting bringing their laptops to the meetings and were zoning out and not paying attention then either. Maybe the meetings aren't engaging enough ... maybe the staff are overworked ... maybe a lot of things. But, regardless, the switch to virtual has just made it worse. Lately we've been doing requirements reviews on a contract and I often hear people asking "can you repeat that?" far more than pre-pandemic. The reason seems obvious; they weren't paying attention because they're tucked away remotely and are only partially paying attention to the meeting.

On getting the work done, while isolation can be beneficial to cut out distractions I also find it difficult to communicate with the team. So while they may getting the work done faster I find the rate of check-in is lower and the chances of designers running down the wrong path higher. Checking in virtually I find hit or miss. People who walk past your office and see you are reminded to ask that question they had. People sitting in their house have no such reminder. The amount of questions I get in the run of a day while everyone is in the office is far higher than when everyone is working from home. Yes, there's a cultural element to this stuff as well. Maybe the younger generation raised on texting will do better in this environment. Me, personally, while I'm not a particularly social creature the face-to-face engagement is far better way to discuss design changes. I also find people around here tend to try to figure out their issues on their own far more when working from home. There's a good learning element there but it certainly doesn't help with timelines. I'd rather they be sitting 10 feet away from experienced help and easily get help on a solution than try to do it all alone because they're isolated.

That said, my work can't all be done remotely anyway. As engineers we work on-site a lot and need to see the work in-person, take measurements, and so on. So, when we get people who do "choose" to work from home they end up being a drain on those people who are in the office getting those folks to go check things for them. We have people making parts and building the stuff we design so when they need engineering input it puts a higher burden on those in the office to also have to deal with the work from home folks designs.

So, again ... your mileage will vary. Depending on your industry / culture / age / background your opinion of work from home is going to be different than other people. There's really no point arguing with anyone on what's right or wrong unless you work in the same company in the same area because otherwise you're just trying to impose your industry's norms on another as if everyone is identical.

The main problem may be that the manager originally got their job to be a glorified taskmaster and upper level management spy with a directive to periodically look over your shoulder, and make pointless reports related to things like "on task time" and "gets-along/doesn't-get-along with others" rather than measuring worker output in terms of actual delivered results, which can be especially difficult in some fields where bad workers can churn out a ton of output which never actually contributes anything. If you're not in a cubicle somewhere that the manager can walk around and verify you appear to be doing X instead of any other Y then what is the point of that manager?

Put another way, it's very difficult to get someone to understand the advantages of something, when that something also stands in direct opposition to their ability to keep making money.

I do admit that my workplace is very special. The bureaucracy is rampant, most managers are dumb as a stick. They often put people in roles that they have no business being in. For example, they'll put a chemical engineer into a mechanical role for "skills broadening". The good people are smart enough to move on asap.

For this, and many other reasons, if you cannot turn your camera on for a job interview, you should be immediately dismissed.

Yes some companies are filled with dicks, but if M76's colleague was a dick (there is a difference between drilling someone's knowledge, and being a dick to pressure someone) then its a great red flag that hey, you probably don't want to work with these people. Communication goes two ways unless one party has their lights out.
What if the candidate doesn't have a camera to use? I don't have any camera in my house to use for virtual meetings. Does that preclude me from qualifying for a position at your place of work? Phone interviews have never been an issue in the past. I don't understand why a camera is all of a sudden considered required in this day and age.

What if the candidate doesn't have a camera to use? I don't have any camera in my house to use for virtual meetings. Does that preclude me from qualifying for a position at your place of work? Phone interviews have never been an issue in the past. I don't understand why a camera is all of a sudden considered required in this day and age.

Do you have an Android or iPhone from the last 5-6 years? If you do, you have a camera/mic setup for Teams, Zoom, Hangouts, etc.
Not saying I fully agree that everyone needs to rock a camera for every meeting, but what he's describing isn't that unusual. There are a lot of companies that won't touch you if you don't have a full video chat interview.

Do you have an Android or iPhone from the last 5-6 years? If you do, you have a camera/mic setup for Teams, Zoom, Hangouts, etc.
Not saying I fully agree that everyone needs to rock a camera for every meeting, but what he's describing isn't that unusual. There are a lot of companies that won't touch you if you don't have a full video chat interview.
Their loss.

Funny variety of opinions here. VR are meetings are slowly getting better, but I'm not sure when I will actually be ready for them. I like to turn off my camera and stay muted so nobody knows I am snoring. At 63 I still enjoy tech, but more than ever wonder what the heck are they thinking.

I am unsure why this is a shock, even in phone interviews someone is going to meet you eventually. These days maybe WFH is going to stay, yes I want to see who you are, yes I want to verify its you and not someone else and be able to see you at least occationally going forward. If you can't meet that low bar then yeah, off to somewhere else. I never stated that would hamper someones career, just that it wouldn't be a good fit for my firm, pretty simple.

i never said camera where important for general meetings (though some make a lot of assumptions). Interviews and meetings where a lot of people are going to talk or want to talk, yeah cameras are pretty darn important.

And? If your just a realtor thats simple work for huge bucks, not all work loads and tasks directly translate to dollars. The rest is just a load of assumptions.

I've been tracking this with my clients and anyone that will talk about it. Results so far favor WFH but not by a large margin, very dependent on the companies technical abilities. I don't think it would surprise many to find out that a lot of businesses are not tech savvy.

The other major factor is how collaborative the firm is and how large, start ups with single locations and high collaboration have had struggles with WFH as it doesn't enable spontanious collaboration that a semi open office does. Those larger firms with multiple office sites where already segmented into teams, largely meeting remotely, and have had litte issue transitioning. Many smaller engineering firms have been struggling to keep employees on task and deliverables on time.

Just my anecdotal experience so far.

my company still groans when I bring up simple agile/scrum/kanban type stuff, no way they'll agree to go VR in 2-3 years. we are all working from home though, and only a few older people seem upset about it because they "miss everyone so much uwu"

Back