Bill Gates 1995 DOOM Video

With all the money Microsoft had, and they still used an Adlib-compatible soundcard for the music? Da fuq?

The ammo count didn't decrease when he shot the monster at 2:07. I guess standards were lower back then. :p

"Clean up this DOS mess.. and get everything focused on Windows"

Windows 10 will come.. Oh yes... It will come!!! ;)

I didn't think DOS was a mess though.. Doom and even Quake (though WinQuake was awesome at the time) worked flawlessly in DOS. Pop in your floppy, get your joystick drivers installed and play some damn Descent already!!!

"Clean up this DOS mess.. and get everything focused on Windows"

Windows 10 will come.. Oh yes... It will come!!! ;)

I didn't think DOS was a mess though.. Doom and even Quake (though WinQuake was awesome at the time) worked flawlessly in DOS. Pop in your floppy, get your joystick drivers installed and play some damn Descent already!!!

I agree with this. Once you get everything set correctly in DOS, you usually never have any issues. At least, not in the 20 some-odd years of using it off and on for those old classics.

Haha. What a classic video. I still remember the days of DOS and Windows 3.1. Installing from floppy disks was so tedious I was actually glad 95 had an option to be on a CD. Remember those?

I agree with this. Once you get everything set correctly in DOS, you usually never have any issues. At least, not in the 20 some-odd years of using it off and on for those old classics.

You must not have ever had to configure a modem to play a dialup match. Those were nightmares.

You must not have ever had to configure a modem to play a dialup match. Those were nightmares.
Lol yeah if you had an internal modem was it using irq 5, or shared on irq 2/9? type in the port (nonstandard since i had a serial card too), then pick my sound card... Taiwanese clone so pick mt-32 emulation for music, but sound blaster for sounds but i had to turn off my parallel card to free up irq7 for it right.. Oh this game uses 32bit extensions so i need to disable expanded memory that my other program needed. And that one needs a different TSR which i can pop into himem so i need to rem out the other tsr to make room. Oh I really don't miss those days!

The team at Microsoft who ported Doom to Windows was started by Gabe Newell. Nice to know where pcmaster race all started from.

I don't remember any problems with that.

The issue in dos were the games that required horrendous amounts of base memory. Like the ones that wouldn't run with less than 620K free out of the 640K. And then came the later protected mode games that didn't run with memory managers. So you literally had to have a dozen boot configurations ready to be able to run every game.

With all the money Microsoft had, and they still used an Adlib-compatible soundcard for the music? Da fuq?

Sound Blaster-16's did not run Doom95 well at all. It's super hazy as it's over 20 years ago but you had to run SB's as general MIDI devices or Adlib compatible to get most of the sounds out of the game.

Sound Blaster-16's did not run Doom95 well at all. It's super hazy as it's over 20 years ago but you had to run SB's as general MIDI devices or Adlib compatible to get most of the sounds out of the game.
Exactly, and this is why pairing DOOM with a high-end MIDI synthesizer was the most preferred, albeit expensive, choice.
Music starts at 0:20 in this video:

This is the way the original DOOM was meant to be heard!

I knew a guy that had that type of setup in his basement and played the game that way. It was wild, kind of blew my mind back then.

Yeah... once you setup multiple autoexec.bat's and config.sys's to run with your memory managers to load individual games, it was easy. You only had to reboot to switch to another game... no problem...

Since Vista if your game crashes very often you can ctrl-alt-delete and end the game and restart that same game without rebooting our machine. Getting some games to run in DOS took real expertise unlike today. I'm not looking back; I want to look forward...

Yeah... once you setup multiple autoexec.bat's and config.sys's to run with your memory managers to load individual games, it was easy. You only had to reboot to switch to another game... no problem...

Since Vista if your game crashes very often you can ctrl-alt-delete and end the game and restart that same game without rebooting our machine. Getting some games to run in DOS took real expertise unlike today. I'm not looking back; I want to look forward...

Rebooting DOS probably takes less time than killing an app in the task manager though.

Exactly, and this is why pairing DOOM with a high-end MIDI synthesizer was the most preferred, albeit expensive, choice.
Music starts at 0:20 in this video:

This is the way the original DOOM was meant to be heard!
It doesn't sound any different to me.

It doesn't sound any different to me.

Go back and play the original DOOM on a standard early 1990s x86 PC (with SoundBlaster), SNES, Genesis, or other console at the time without a high-end MIDI sythesizer.
You will definitely hear a difference.

Back