Biggie Smalls, 9900k ATX Build in mini-ITX Case

pteck

n00b
Just added the finishing touches to my 9900k build. Goal of the build was to build a aesthetically pleasing, quiet, and compact computer. My preference is to use open air cases along with high quality heatpipe CPU coolers (noctua d15 in this case). I've done the water cooling thing when it was new 15 years ago. My opinion is that water/pumps and fans are loud and a liability, and really are extraneous and necessary in an enclosed cases. Only the two high quality Noctua CPU fans spin when casually using the computer, so it is dead quiet.

Onto the build. Primary task was to shoehorn a full size ATX motherboard into a Thermaltake Core P1 mini-ITX case.

Meet Biggie Smalls.
vZ-2600n8ngDKu85SO7_303z96Z8-JDICeHRAYCr_IofCHAFaNXs-3bOTGxmpCperjvmngjs7xeBzECaw=w2030-h1393-no.jpg

Width is just wider than an ATX board. Depth, about the length of my full size 1080TI. What you see at the bottom right fan is the real trick to this build - An 800W SFX-L (small form factor) power supply. A full size 9900K build doesn't get smaller than this.

Parts list:
- Intel i9-9900k
- Asus ROG Maximux XI Hero Z390
- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz
- Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080TI OC
- ThermalTake Core P1
- SilverStone Technology SX800-LT
- Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB
- Noctua NH-D15 6 Heatpipe Dual 140mm
- Phanteks PH-LEDKT-Combo RGB Strip

Here's a few mid-build pics that might should help understand the layout better. Note that the Core P1 chassis tray does not have holes for the full ATX motherboard. I had to drill and tap several holes to support the full ATX board length. Also a pic of the PS bracket I made from one or the Core P1 HD bracket.

64hATda3AFoslDwovIaztnmyx_msJlO9s260lxJSkgk2fcqaybcqIUpyxwswYV4JnSWX9bGjJXttQnJqQ=w2030-h1540-no.jpg

dM4Msy_oYfrjQERqlm5Qs6MKKHePl2iYkDi0o2n-aXTbJPc9YCm-33BW18yFseab2mImxonoYBEmuFXgQ=w2030-h1647-no.jpg

USBRvKXXWGpK-RZ-lOOCO-Cwi4H4E3FQsrQwX9NE5gZAKXo_sR5Zlqzn69b5wqjcp5vuxLyRdYy5NqqSQ=w2030-h1549-no.jpg

6uqXaX6xkrkrmNaY1y7-R-4IV_A5c0NuQYKxVuaTuYngL_-9oP-lBtJAC0ERA7D1C5ecA9w9ndzH65ViA=w2030-h1533-no.jpg

Nice. I like it. Love that the only drive is an NVME m.2 drive on the board.

I need a banana for scale. Is this smaller than an NCase build?

Also, how are you dealing with the dust?

I need a banana for scale. Is this smaller than an NCase build?

Also, how are you dealing with the dust?

Great question. Most would be surprised but dust is a non--issue. When you consider that practically no fans are running, or the 2 CPU fans running at a snails pace, dust doesn't accumulate the way it does when trying to move lots of air.

I find myself annually just giving it a light spray with canned air to remove the surface dust. No thick dust carpets as you would get at the intake fan to clean regularly.

Great question. Most would be surprised but dust is a non--issue. When you consider that practically no fans are running, or the 2 CPU fans running at a snails pace, dust doesn't accumulate the way it does when trying to move lots of air.

I find myself annually just giving it a light spray with canned air to remove the surface dust. No thick dust carpets as you would get at the intake fan to clean regularly.
Wow that makes sense, I have always wanted to go open air, but currently with a 16 month old probably not a good idea.

Wow that makes sense, I have always wanted to go open air, but currently with a 16 month old probably not a good idea.

YMMV, but my last case was an open air Antec Skeleton. Raised two kids during that time, and they've never tempted to put their fingers in there. I always thought they might, but they've been respectful of dad's toys. Perhaps the "Skeleton" looks too scary/intimidating.

antec-skeleton-pc-case.jpg

Back