Biggest pet peeve with modern mice?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This might not be my biggest peeve, but it seems to be the most common. Maybe it's just a Logitech issue, but I have recently bought three different models of mice from them, all of which have left and right buttons that feel different from another. It's as if the switches have a different level of resistance, so one button feels slightly mushier or makes a softer click than the other. Very annoying.

Three mice of the same model? Or different models? I would expect different models to have different click resistances. That's why I still have my MX510 - can't find anything exactly the same.

My peeve is the buttons that feel mushy. I like a nice short click stroke, equal distances to activate and deactivate the "click." My Sculpt ergo mouse is NOT that.

If I had to pick the biggest peeve though, it's the rubber coating on mice. It always seems to break down in a short amount of time. If you let it sit, it gets sticky or slimy. If you use it too much, it wears off. Just give me a nice, high quality, textured plastic and call it a day. Heck, I don't even mind glossy. Just not rubber please.

Three different models. And in regard to click resistance, I meant the left and right buttons on the same unit felt different.

+1 on the rubberish coat/shell on so many mice. I hate it.

My biggest pet peeve, gripe, complaint is that Razer discontinued the original Diamondback, years ago. Best mouse ever, IMO.

I use the scroll wheel on my mouse primarily as a middle mouse button and prefer clicky style scroll wheels. The inclusion of Logitech's Dual mode scroll wheel across most its product line has limited my mouse options.

Ive never noticed that on any mouse Ive had and Ive got close to a dozen. Well I take that back. My DeathAdder 2013 has a right click button that is much lighter than the left clicker and makes it very easy to right click when youre just moving the mouse. Other than that, Ive not noticed much of a difference in any of the others Ive got.

Crappy wheels. Wheels that are loose, that don't click when you scroll, that are hard to press as a middle-click.

The wheel on the MX518 was the best wheel ever. Now every quality mouse has wheels that tilt, that spin freely, or, even worse, are switchable between clicky scroll and free-spinning and suck at both.

After the MX518? Everything about modern mice bothers me, but my biggest pet peeve is they keep getting lighter. Another one is that the buttons on the side of my mouse are more responsive and feel better than the two primary buttons I'm using all the time. It took me awhile to get used to how mushy the left- and right- mouse buttons have gotten over the years.

If Logitech brought out a good modern wireless version of the MX518 they'd sell a billion of them.

I have many pet peeves:
  • Flawed, bad performing sensors sold as being high performance and precise when 90% of them are bad;
  • The arms race to the highest possible CPI regardless on the side-effects on sensor performance;
  • Braided cables that are stiff and fragile;
  • Rubberized coatings that are not durable and fragile;
  • The necessity to put LEDs on everything.

I have many pet peeves:
  • Flawed, bad performing sensors sold as being high performance and precise when 90% of them are bad;
  • The arms race to the highest possible CPI regardless on the side-effects on sensor performance;
  • Braided cables that are stiff and fragile;
  • Rubberized coatings that are not durable and fragile;
  • The necessity to put LEDs on everything.

Ditto. There doesn't seem to be any net improvement in new mice for a long long time apart from pointless cpi wars, outlandish designs and odd shapes which take getting used to. All the r&d is being wasted on fancy rubbery coating and lights to tempt ricer gamers to change their preripherals. I cracked open my mouse and taped off the lights to make it decent for me.

Stop complaining and make the switch.
Those under $20 dollar mice on Amazon? They don't suck. This is the best time in history, (not a lot of history but you get my point) for variety in mice.
I have a G9X gathering dust and I am using a $16 Sharkk mouse which is a copy/re-branded $20 Anker mouse. There are a huge assortment of decent options right now and they don't suck.
Trust the ratings and try a few that have what you want. I left Logitech behind, they have priced themselves out of the market and so have a lot of other companies.
Try a few, they are so inexpensive you can buy three or more for the price of a cheaper Logitech or Razer.
I am using them for FPS, online, whatever. The Anker one in particular tracks really well, I think it is because of the location of the sensor and the hardware. Either way it is worth the five star rating it has on Amazon.

Those under $20 dollar mice on Amazon? They don't suck. This is the best time in history, (not a lot of history but you get my point) for variety in mice.
I have a G9X gathering dust and I am using a $16 Sharkk mouse which is a copy/re-branded $20 Anker mouse. There are a huge assortment of decent options right now and they don't suck.
Trust the ratings and try a few that have what you want. I left Logitech behind, they have priced themselves out of the market and so have a lot of other companies.
Try a few, they are so inexpensive you can buy three or more for the price of a cheaper Logitech or Razer.
I am using them for FPS, online, whatever. The Anker one in particular tracks really well, I think it is because of the location of the sensor and the hardware. Either way it is worth the five star rating it has on Amazon.

I spent a long time looking for a mouse with at least one side button, good battery life, quick response, and a wheel that doesn't tilt. I never found one. Do you have any specific suggestions?

This.

I was in the market for a wireless mouse and found this on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/E-3lue-E-Blue-2-4GHz-Wireless-Optical/dp/B00DPC015E/

It has been nothing short of fantastic. I've had this thing for about 6 months now and haven't had to change the batteries yet (with the LEDS off). It may not be rated to last at a billion plus one clicks, but it comes in at $20 dollars so who cares.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
well my biggest complaint is that pretty much all the decent performing mice are expensive fancy "gamer" oriented ones. it would be nice have more simple stuff like the wmo

well my biggest complaint is that pretty much all the decent performing mice are expensive fancy "gamer" oriented ones. it would be nice have more simple stuff like the wmo
Only niche people buy 60+ USD mice that only have 2 buttons and a scroll wheel though. Plus that market is completely saturated by Steelseries, Zowie, Minox, i-rocks, Razer and Roccat. There is a reason logitech only does a base model for gaming mice the G100s and it's a cheaper mouse. Razer and Roccat obviously compete all over the board but they rely more on online sales than logitech. Logitech sticks to storefront markets and showrooming their products, so they add more buttons, unique aesthetic and lights which is closer to a productivity mouse than a gaming one but it does help people justify the higher price, although the weight of the mouse might not be perfect. There are plenty of simple mice with good sensors but they are pretty much online only mice as those companies don't really use brick and mortar stores.

I mean it's the same reason you don't see mechanical keyboards plain like 60% or TKL ones in stores that's too much of a niche product.

Three different models. And in regard to click resistance, I meant the left and right buttons on the same unit felt different.
I'm betting you're crazy and you're clicking with two different fingers figuring that you have superior sensing capability.

Rubberized coating gets me, sometimes it's fine other times it's annoying, i remember the old logitech G5 made it feel like my hands were always sweating it was so strange. Cord stiffness has never been an issue for me, i just suspend the cord over a distance like 1-2 feet away from the mouse so the cord never gets in the way or feels too stiff. The only difficult part is finding the right amount of slack on the cord so that it doesn't pull on the mouse.

Not enough mainstream mice are ergonomic. They need to tilt your hand more to the side.

Not enough mainstream mice are ergonomic. They need to tilt your hand more to the side.
Best part are idiots saying ergonomic mice don't feel right so they aren't ergonomic. T_T ergonomics isn't always about user comfort 100%, the tilt to the side is to reduce pressure on key nerves in the wrist for carpal tunnel. Which is also why you get mice that try to make you pick up your wrist, but they know users won't pick up their wrist so they make you shift the weight onto the bone in your wrist instead of the nerv. It's concerning user safety first and trying for user comfort second.

Last edited:
I think the Logitech Proteus was to take a jab at Razer's deathadder which kinda dominates in the looks department but the quality isn't there. I'm saving up for a Proteus cause it's like 79.00 everywhere you look.

Not being the G9X.

Lol this! My G9X is looking pretty rough, but I'd hate to get anything other than a direct replacement with another G9X if I had to because it's just so excellent.

I would say that modern mice tend to look too crazy curvy in unnecessary ways to appear more ergonomic, but it seems like modern mice nowadays are actually moving away from that to some degree.

It depends of the implementation but generally speaking the Avago 3090, Pixart 3310 and the Pixart 3366.

I went from a MX500 to a 518, 518 died and I've been thoroughly enjoying my G500S now :)

Eh, I like the 9500 in my Sensei. And I came from an all Logitech lineup (MX510-MX518-G5-G500-G400) before it.
Nothing wrong with that; whatever works for you. However, it is not a precise sensor (non linear hardware acceleration).

biggest pet peeve - size! Due to my large hands I have a somewhat limited pool that I can choose decent mice from.

I will never buy any razer mouse ever. They seems to be broken and lose connection or just power down at random intervals.

Are you talking about the Proetus or the MMO Logitech mice I didn't really care for the click on my Logitech MMO.

I'm going to use Bing Rewards to buy a Proteus since it's like 79.00 everywhere....

Horrible software.

You can say that goes for (almost?) all hardware and its associated software. Whether it's an Asus mainboard, an MSI graphics card or a Razer mouse, the software that ships with them is invariably bad. Designed for/by 12-year-olds. Wasted space for "cool designs", unintuitive layout, unergonomic fonts.

For mice it's especially bad when you have to install that shit just to turn off the annoying LEDs (looking at you Razer).

Oh and the icing on the cake is when the software is pushing some sort of Cloud integration bullshit - still looking at you, Razer!

obviously my biggest gripe is a shortage of Left handed mice design's

there is let's see Razer Deathadder and ????

and also a shortage of decently sized (large hand friendly) ambidextrous palm grip friendly mice // and or a certain shortage of higher end ambi mice in general.

there really needs to be anti discriminatory actions that requires companies to produce x number of left handed models

My biggest pet peeve about controlling PCs is mice themselves. I prefer trackballs as they don't get stuck (unless I just use cheap mice).

Back