Biggest CPU Heat sink fan combo to bend your motherboard?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
871090_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

Anything bigger than this thing in the CPU Heatsink territory? If you want your motherboard just to warp and snap off?

The Noctua d14/d15 probably. But it's air....old and ancient...mainstream WC gear is absolutely the way to go now.

TRUE Copper. Well over a pound heavier than the Noctua D15 and the TRUE Copper doesn't even have fans with it! The D15 comes in at 980g without fans, the TRUE Copper comes in at 1900g without fans.

TRUE Copper. Well over a pound heavier than the Noctua D15 and the TRUE Copper doesn't even have fans with it! The D15 comes in at 980g without fans, the TRUE Copper comes in at 1900g without fans.

Yeah I seen those things someone bought one and it wouldn't even fit in the case or the IO panel was in the way.

be-quiet-Dark-Rock-Pro-3-Protocol.jpg

Actually still popular with overclockers today Dark Rock Pro 3 250 TDP Heatsink Blocks all your Ram except for one maybe.

Yeah, I needed something bigger than even the d14, that thing won't even stop the climbing to damn near 80c OCed, even with the better tims. and won't fit in most mid cases.... That Vortez looks like a monster....probably loud too. Telling ya gotta turn to water...can fit a 240/360mm pretty easily and it's quiet and alot of case options. You all talking about the biggest hulkiest wide full atx just to fit them units in.

This is the only one that tops the TRUE Copper, and only by 65g, all the others are half or less the weight.

Yeah that's monster and heavy probably cools muchhhh better. go back to that route so big where need minimal fan action. Like it quiet....leave it running all the time, walk out of the room and barely hear anything etc it is nice.

Won't convince me man Lol...the Loop and aios are still superior. More Solution's that are even better being available and damn near some absolutely Leak Proof stuff. I have to go with that in Favor man.

Won't convince me man Lol...the Loop and aios are still superior. More Solution's that are even better being available and damn near some absolutely Leak Proof stuff. I have to go with that in Favor man.

A good air cooler can survive a fan failure much better than a AIO can survive a pump failure or leak.

This is dumb. Tower 1 heat gets blown to tower 2, then tower 1 + tower 2 heat gets blown to tower 3.

I have a D14 in my main rig with a 120mm fan on the outside of each tower blowing to wards the middle. Keeps it cooler than the normal configuration.

And for a few more degrees Celsius drop in temperature you can make a duct that sucks the resulting hot air from in-between the towers. I had mine set up like that for a while, but it was horrid to try to work on the system with the extra duct in the way.

This is dumb. Tower 1 heat gets blown to tower 2, then tower 1 + tower 2 heat gets blown to tower 3.

I have a D14 in my main rig with a 120mm fan on the outside of each tower blowing to wards the middle. Keeps it cooler than the normal configuration.

And for a few more degrees Celsius drop in temperature you can make a duct that sucks the resulting hot air from in-between the towers. I had mine set up like that for a while, but it was horrid to try to work on the system with the extra duct in the way.

Maybe the air is just lazy or the PC is so hot it needs a transfer like that I think they just did it for kicks.

Maybe the air is just lazy or the PC is so hot it needs a transfer like that I think they just did it for kicks.

Man telling ya you'll have ditch the d14, or backup or something...had a case fan on it and a 3000rpm fan on it...you're not gonna stop some stuff going to 80c with it...gonna take water. or like said something even bigger and heavier that Vortez thing...that might stop it...but 3 or 4 140mm roaring....I'm old don't want to hear loud fan anymore lol

Air Coolers are generally less noisy than AIO's .. man them pumps.. horrid.. and of course fans on the rad...

I much prefer Air Coolers ....air coolers don't leak or have pumps die... fans maybe but whatever...

A well setup air cooled system is way quieter, way more dependable, costs less, cools as well and never sounds like an aquarium running.

Yeah the 'air is for noobs' trope just won't die. Mass produced shit leaks, it is a real risk.

As for motherboard risk from heavy heatsinks, I have shipped various cases (3/4U, pedestal towers etc) with noctuas in them both by air (single) and freight (racked) cross-country multiple times, zero problems, their mounts are great. Even when the forklift killed the rack, the heatsinks were ok! Actually everything else was ok. Well that one middle one was pretty fucked but you can safely blame that one on the fork. Getting the cases out of the rack...crowbar to the rails and lots of swearing.
The spinning drives though? Always separate, dear lord, always. I mean hand carry the damn things in one of those foam boxes if you can, you can yell at them and make them crash ffs.

If it can survive ups & fedex dropkicking n' spear-hooking contests along with cousin carlos discount slackass trucking (liftgate extra aka you're gonna get ripped off) then it can survive your honda civic hatchback on a gravel road to the lan party in the woods or whatever contrived shit people come up with.

Man telling ya you'll have ditch the d14, or backup or something...had a case fan on it and a 3000rpm fan on it...you're not gonna stop some stuff going to 80c with it...gonna take water. or like said something even bigger and heavier that Vortez thing...that might stop it...but 3 or 4 140mm roaring....I'm old don't want to hear loud fan anymore lol

Huh??? Can you reword that in English please?

The D14 I am currently using, I've had for years... since LGA1366 first came out.

The stock Noctua fans have very poor airflow and static pressure compared to the Rosewill dual ball-bearing fans I am currently using (best fans I have found - too bad they stopped making them).

With fan speed control, my system is near dead silent when not under a heavy load. This is with the CPU running at 4.7Ghz.

If I am gaming and the fans speed up a lot, I can't hear them anyway because I am either using headphones or speakers that are up loud enough to drown out the fan noise.

I like the D14 so much that I purchased 2 more NOS ones a few months ago because I got them for an awesome deal.

My wife's computer has a Corsair H100i AIO cooler. Works fine, hasn't given us any issues, but I don't see it cooling any better than my D14 in it's current configuration.

Huh??? Can you reword that in English please?

The D14 I am currently using, I've had for years... since LGA1366 first came out.

The stock Noctua fans have very poor airflow and static pressure compared to the Rosewill dual ball-bearing fans I am currently using (best fans I have found - too bad they stopped making them).

With fan speed control, my system is near dead silent when not under a heavy load. This is with the CPU running at 4.7Ghz.

If I am gaming and the fans speed up a lot, I can't hear them anyway because I am either using headphones or speakers that are up loud enough to drown out the fan noise.

I like the D14 so much that I purchased 2 more NOS ones a few months ago because I got them for an awesome deal.

My wife's computer has a Corsair H100i AIO cooler. Works fine, hasn't given us any issues, but I don't see it cooling any better than my D14 in it's current configuration.

Water and this loop absolutely does better, doing stuff now the d14 nor the h100 could do. It is real vast? no..but it is significant and it's quiet no need for loud and fast fans.

Last edited:
Water and this loop absolutely does better, doing stuff now the d14 nor the h100 could do. It is real vast? no..but it is significant and it's quiet no need for loud and fast fans.

Ok, gotcha. I know a custom loop can do better than AIO or air coolers. I just don't have a need for one and my systems are maintenance free except for blowing the dust out every few months.

At this point, I'll take longevity, simplicity and less expense over a few degrees cooler.

Ok, gotcha. I know a custom loop can do better than AIO or air coolers. I just don't have a need for one and my systems are maintenance free except for blowing the dust out every few months.

At this point, I'll take longevity, simplicity and less expense over a few degrees cooler.

The Loops are pretty maintenance free though, and really not much to it. run a solution for a year or two, should have plenty of slack on the tubing and just pull one end off, jumper the psu/pump and drain and refill. and you're ready to go again.

That's not a CPU heatsink. Underneath that blue wrap is a 500w white LED so powerful that it might be able to blind you. :p

I have a few of those 500w LED's but don't have a current controlled boost driver that can handle anything more than 250w. Which I bought for a 100w LED "with room to upgrade"

Like shit, the brightest epoxy style LED's used to use around 100ma. The first big boy I got was around 10w. Then a 100w. Thought 250 would be more than enough.

Still, have a 600w rated one coming in from Aliexpress so... I guess... Right around the time I'm headed back to work after COVID's over.

I know of an extrusion heatsink with mated single 50mm heatpipe that is 10-15Kg but it's not designed for PC. That said it could passive an HEDT at many hundreds of watts lol and that's what I want to do one day....
Heaviest mobo warper I have is my Scythe Ninja but it's only 750g without fan. Back in the days though that was a monster and still today to a point..
I have a few of those 500w LED's but don't have a current controlled boost driver that can handle anything more than 250w. Which I bought for a 100w LED "with room to upgrade"

Like shit, the brightest epoxy style LED's used to use around 100ma. The first big boy I got was around 10w. Then a 100w. Thought 250 would be more than enough.

Still, have a 600w rated one coming in from Aliexpress so... I guess... Right around the time I'm headed back to work after COVID's over.
Is it like i describe above? I think i know the manufacturer lol.
Also, I've been developing LED solutions for over a decade. COB LEDs suck for efficiency, light quality (typically) and overall effect. Spread out linear lighting for aquariums and plants (and people) is better than a concentrated hotspot mess.. harder to wire and a bit more time though. That said for cheap and simple and less optical cost COB is fine. I am also not a fan of the irreparable aspect.

I bought the CpuFx Core heatsink for my P3 back in the dayit was at best an average heatsink and very loud. It ended up breaking off the socket tabs on my CUSL2C board, it actually fell off while it was running and fell out the side of my case I had open at the time. I ended up using it on my replacement 1.4 Tbird also, but all it did was let the cpu overheat. Worst heatsink I ever bought, and I paid around $100 for it back then. I still keep it on my shelf as a reminder to not buy overpriced crap.

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cooling/148-core-heatsink/

Pics of a preproduction version in this review, my retail one did not look as nice or perform anywhere near as well. Was another case of Bitboys Oy....

considering the times adn hwo many of use are in isolation I can undferstand hwo an old thread would be revived.
Cryorig AF41 ig 4 tower cooler had towers It was a real cooler, but never put into production.

A43qvkKQ_pepebX77lu0QVCuyuysh2AbZ1Ni-C-NEXc32snen5.jpg

More infor on their webiste in below link:
http://www.cryorig.com/af41.php

Release date tells much of the story. There was a review and testing done by a review site but I can't find it now. by the time it got to reviewers it's own weight was bending theatpipes and it was beginning to look wanky.

Here are a few other big ones I know of:

Thermalright Cyclone at Computex 2010
thermalright_computex10_turbine_heatsink.jpg

Thermalright at Computex 2010
thermalright_computex10_skyscraper_heatsink.jpg
7YwVD861x61jtfJ-yx4jiSQnThHRYCMaEvCYPCukE&usqp=CAU.jpg

Thermalright Cyclone Computex 2009
DSCF9067.jpgDSCF9063.jpg

Zalman TNN 500AF passive cooling case
tnn500afopenline.jpg

Last edited:
Back