Biggest Battle Ever in Eve Online Claims Multiple Titans

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The biggest battle that's ever been seen in Eve Online began yesterday and resulted in the two sides losing multiple Titan warships. The battle included over 3,500 players defending or attacking a Keepstar citadel owned by the Northern Coalition. The lost capital ships could be worth a million dollars if they were converted to game time purchases. Unfortunately time has been dilated so each second of play requires 10 seconds of real-time so the servers can handle the load. This might not interest everybody, but once you know how long it takes to earn a Titan and build them it shows just how important this battle is to the participants. If you want to watch the slow play you can hit up The Imperium News Network's stream. Thanks Lifelite.

This battle is just one in several major clashes over the past few months as part of EVE's latest war. Through a complex series of strategic alliances and events, the various player-driven empires of EVE Online have slowly congregated on one of two sides, effectively dividing the entire galaxy between north and south. But, for the first time in years, both of these sides are of roughly equal power and both seem absolutely invested in kicking the shit out of one another - as evidenced by the exorbitant value of the ships committed to the battlefield.

EVE is nice like that; even in "safe" areas CONCORD (the in-game police force) only guarantees retribution, not security [escaping from CONCORD is considered an exploit].

I created a crazed religious fanatic who thought B.O.B was some sort of god and went around stealing ore people had mined in my IBIS. Got podded and killed in 1.0 sec quite a bit. good fun. Should start it back up sometime and see whats changed. Don't really have the time required to devote to it now though.

Spreadsheets in space. Yes, I was a player. I even played for 'free' making enough money doing L3 missions and after that I made even more money doing the Planetary Interaction with a bunch of manufacturing. Still, we're talking ~7 years ago now.

They do make for interesting gaming news, I'll give them that.

B-R5RB battle still holds the title as the biggest single system battle in EVE.. it was the last great fight where literally every major alliance was involved before jumpe range changes were made to make sure something like that was much harder to happen again.

Unfortunately time has been dilated so each second of play requires 10 seconds of real-time so the servers can handle the load..

In the old days we called that lag...and it was a bad thing.

I came back to Eve just to participate in this bloodbath. I lost probably a couple hundred in ships, but I participated in taking down one of those titan class ships. Before anyone asks I'm just talking about the "theoretical value" of my ships if I sold them and converted the isk to plex. I've never paid real money beyond sub fees.

B-R5RB battle still holds the title as the biggest single system battle in EVE.. it was the last great fight where literally every major alliance was involved before jumpe range changes were made to make sure something like that was much harder to happen again.

Yeah, I quit about 6-9 months before B-R5RB, and had given my Titan to another corpmate to . . . encourage my not returning.

Said Titan died in B-R5RB, kinda made sad on one hand, but on the other, it was a great "nope, never need to go back" moment.

Kicking that particularly monkey off my back was made a lot easier then ;)

In the old days we called that lag...and it was a bad thing.

tidi(time dilation) is different from lag, tidi is caused purely because the blade the nodes on can't handle realtime calculations fast enough thus slowing down the system so it has the ability to transmit all data between players.. the players ping actually never changes.

just some examples, the B-R5RB fight lasted roughly 23 hours, the actual simulation time of the entire fight was just a little over 2 hours real time. this recent fight lasted about 12 hours and i believe the simulation time will be some where around 4 hours thanks to upgrades to the servers since the B-R5RB fight.

Yeah, I quit about 6-9 months before B-R5RB, and had given my Titan to another corpmate to . . . encourage my not returning.

Said Titan died in B-R5RB, kinda made sad on one hand, but on the other, it was a great "nope, never need to go back" moment.

Kicking that particularly monkey off my back was made a lot easier then ;)

i lost an erebus, avatar and a nyx in B-R5RB but was on about 600b in kill mails across those characters so i'm not sad. the tidi was aids though but i just played league of legends the entire time during the fight and re-activated my guns/DD/bombers between matches, lol. ultimately it made those 3 characters usable again since they only ever got logged in for ganks or bridging fleets. supers/titans are stupid cheap these days so maybe one day i'll buy another avatar or hel.

tidi(time dilation) is different from lag, tidi is caused purely because the blade the nodes on can't handle realtime calculations fast enough thus slowing down the system so it has the ability to transmit all data between players.. the players ping actually never changes.

just some examples, the B-R5RB fight lasted roughly 23 hours, the actual simulation time of the entire fight was just a little over 2 hours real time. this recent fight lasted about 12 hours and i believe the simulation time will be some where around 4 hours thanks to upgrades to the servers since the B-R5RB fight.

I know what it is. I played the game for a long time. The joke I was making was that they were effectively introducing the same effect as lag on purpose because they would rather do that than fix the underlying issue.

Yeah, I was online for aprox 12 hours for this. Had 2 characters going. 1 in a capital, and another one in a sub-cap. Here's a quick vid that Eve posted on their Twitter. I think I can even see my carrier right in the middle of the uprights. :)

https://t.co/sPGJ93NlOT

And, next week I think will be just as big as we defend it again. Good thing I don't have to work.

Last edited:
Back