Bigger PSU or CPU overheating FX-9590, please help

BandiTech

n00b
Hello guys, I'm a computer technician and I run my own shop here in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I build customized gaming system and little by little I'm begging to make really carve out a good niche here.

Even though I have many years of building PCs there are sometimes thing I'm either just not seeing or plainly don't make sense. See, I sold a custom gaming system to a client of mine and about the 1st month he started getting what we think are overheating problems.

Here are the specs, please refer to my squarespace site to view pictures and specs on the machine (I assure there's not malware nor money scheme), its just a very detailed specs on the machine which I do not want to re-type, go to: www.gobanditech.com/signature-pcs/darth-russian

We used prime 95 and it said it was ok. Afterwards we algo used.... (forgot its name) another stressing software and whenever the CPU gets abot 65 or more we are in danger zone and and moment it will shutdown (without freezing). The GPU runs hot, though all r9 are meant to run hot and this isn't the problem.

So here are the mayor problems:

1. After 65 degrees of the CPU, we are in the danger zone and any minute it will shutdown. Curiously you can just turn it back on right away as if nothing happen, but if you stress it again... well, it happens again.

2. The air from the stock FX-9590 water cooling comes out super hot (duh)... but I think it didn't when I gave it to him

Theories:

1. Bad CPU, but I do not know how to properly diagnose such a thing and send such documents to AMD to get a replacement.Please help if you do.

2. Need better cooling... kinda unlikely since this PCs has a lot more fans, but hey its the only FX-9590 I've put on a system and those 5Ghz turbo might be the culprit

3. Need a bigger PSU, right now it has an Ultra (tigerdirect brand) 750watt PSU. This does make sense because my client games on triple displays and I'm just assuming that the PSU does supply some power through those cables to the monitors. Another thing that supports this theory is the fact that I can just turn on the PC right after it shut down instead o having to wait for the CPU to cool down. How can I measure PSU wattage consumption when benchmarking or stressing?

Anyway guys, please give me your recommendations. I did sell this person a warranty for 3 years so.. whatever the fix its coming out of the company's pocket hehehe (my pocket lol). I am very much inclining to order a bigger PSU.

PS: Can anyone tell me how to properly setup the eufi bios settings for my particular parts combination, meaning the ROG board, the fx-9590 and the r9 280x?, I just wanna see if I did it right cuz there maybe something I overlooked while setting it up. THANKS!

its not the amount of fans that matter, but rather the amount of cooling or proper direction of the air being used.

What cooler is the cpu using?

Ultra never did make good power supplies, but what is the exact model of power supply being used?

R9 280x or R9 290 which one is it? a stock cooler as in uses a blower style damn right they get hot, but pushing up the fan speed helps, as in using catalyst control center to force the fan to use a specific speed instead of letting it take care of itself.

Stress testing things is ok, but doing it to much is not good.

Liquid cooler with which thermal paste? what is the ram speed and amount, what case is it being used in etc.

You need to fill in some of the blanks to properly figure this out really.

Might want to recheck for proper thermal paste contact between CPU & cooler. Also something like a Corsair H110 would cool better in the heat and humidity of San Juan
750W power supply should be enough but, Ultra psu's a just junk to begin with!

All the reviews I have seen of AIO type units vs good air there is not much difference vs the large increase in cost with "modern" chips i.e FX, Ivybridge-haswell. Custom loop would be best way to go as these chips are hot bastards to begin with :p

My cpu has the same cooler and I have my radiator mounted with the hoses on the bottom. I was told to in the instructions. I don't think that's the problem but it may help. I barely break 50c during stress tests if it even does. Did you try another power supply? I use an old pc power & cooling silencer 750

I've only had one AIO moving really hot air (and the radiator was hot) and it ended up being bad. I want to say it was an H80, but there was little to no fluid left in it so what was there got extremely hot and the pump was cavitating.

I would check the AIO cooler and the contact between it and the CPU. If your CPU is indeed reaching a cutoff temperature (I'm an Intel person, so I'm not sure what Tjmax is for the FX'es these days), the cooler, not the PSU, is to blame.
If you're not hitting Tjmax (65C is ice cold on an i7), then your PSU might be to blame. Which 12V rail is your CPU on? The FX9590 is a 200W+ processor, and the Ultra might not be rated for that high - I've definitely seen PSUs which have multiple 18A 12V rails.

I would swap out the power supply and try a different brand. I have used Ultra power supplies in entry level machines without issue. I have had 2 Ultra power supplies that I tried in higher end machines, both dual proc boxes, that could not support the stress of folding. They ran fine in a single proc box.

I think out of all the power supplies Ultra has produced there has only been maybe 3 that were fairly decent the rest were mediocre to absolute trash, kind of like coolmax. FX chips 62-65c recommended TJ is 90c. I have heard they were doing the same thing Intel was by a poor thermal interface of the die with the IHS which definitely not helping and to have something that already runs quite hot pushed to the edge of what they can normally do is not going to help anything.

One thing you can try, reduce the voltage and up the CPU VDDA as this can help reduce needed voltage and temps. Take some time to "tweak" it and it can make a fairly large difference in temps.

Also just to point out those Astec AMD OEM Water Cooling with Thermal Activated LED to my knowledge were designed for the first gen Bulldozers which were a fair amount less heat and even then from reviews I recall at time they ran ok in a stock config but pushing them ended up with temps going up and barely able to deal with it, the FX9xxx are very high TDP chips so it would have been like taking said bulldozer and overvolting and clocking so I am sure it simply does not like it, where say a H75 or higher end probably could deal with it quite a bit better.

I would just take some time to tweak it, you are probably expecting more then the unit can give, the only other option, change the thermal interface for Collabratory liquid pro or Indigo extreme, Phanteks or some other high end thermal interface and of course don't cake it on, this can help, the only other possible option would be to take the IHS off and use a much better paste but read on this extremely carefully first as doing this means warranty is gone period.

Only so many options really, I think the tuning is the "easiest" one to do, then thermal paste, then really the only other option swap to a higher end liquid or air sink, these are high TDP cpu you need to keep that in mind.

OP, I think it could VERY WELL BE THOSE EXTENDED SLEEVED CABLES..

Back when the Athlon X2's had just come out, I used one of them to extend my main 24 pin ATX lead..The system was a new build and had all kinds of issues..I was ready to hear my hair out, and I finally pulled it apart and tried it without the extension cable. Everything was fine from there.

Simply unplug them from the PSU, and components, and try a set of the stock cables and see what happens.

EDIT: If what I suggested didn't work, then I would try a new AIO CLC unit..It is possible it has a flakey pump or is low on coolant. From now on, don't sell highly TDP/OC'd CPUs with such a marginal cooling system. You have to take into account the environment you live in, and I would use at least an H100 on those puppies.

@ccityinstaller - It really never occured to me about the sleeves, will defenitely try that before ordering new parts. And what do you mean, consider where I live in? lol, we do have air conditioning in Puerto Rico

@dragonstongue - could you point me to a tutorial on understand how to lower voltages and up the CPU VDDA, i'm not that good yet with playing with those settings, I leave them stock most of the time. BTW, did you click the link to see all the specs? I did post them on the link

@bwang - what do you mean tjmax... i can only think of the clothing store hahaahaha

@benzino_96 - THANK YOU!!! YOU'RE WELCOME TO STALK IT HAHAAHA

Other thoughts, the thermal paste used is Artic Silver 5, yes the hoses are on the bottom of the mount (again, look at the pictures and specs on the link).

So, I inverted the directions of the fans to go from inside the case, to the radiator and from the radiator to the outside of the case. Now it flows inward, from the outside of the case, thourgh the radiator and into the case, then the 2 big 140mm fan from the top will exhaust it. After this, idle temps dropped from 49 degrees to 39!!! I'll be testing it out this weekend more. Thanks a bunch guys, will report back on Monday. You may keep posting more suggestions :D

I'm not talking about the water pump mount as that looks correct with the hoses on the bottom. The radiator is upside down with the hoses on the top. Sometimes trapped air can stay at the top and restrict water flow. Ive seen people run them like that and be ok .Just pointing out that in your pics the radiator is indeed upside down.

Those 120mm fans on the radiator are not the ones the 9590 shipped with, no? What are those red-led Apevia fans that are installed rated for? Case fans are not a suitable replacement.

Some additional help setting up the the uefi and more, if you haven'y already seen it, can be found here

umm its a liquid cooler, so technically all fans used to cool the rad are case fans :p

I get what you are saying, and I think you understand what I'm saying as well but just to clarify: the fans on the radiator should be of the static pressure variety vs airflow (chassis) variety. Typically significantly higher amp draw as well.

If the case doesn't have very good air flow then using the fans on the cpu cooler as a intaking air from the rear of the case will result in better temperatures.

Not sure of the specs of the fans, but they could not have enough static pressure or move enough air to keep that cpu cool. Not sure if you have the stock fans that came with the cooler laying around somewhere, but i'd also give those a shot.

Thermal shut down on the FX processors is 90c. Core temp. Most will crash or reboot before it reaches that temperature though. If it reaches 90c the system will turn off completely.

Back