Bigger monitor further away?

Svensson

n00b
It feels like my eyes are usually happier looking at screens further away, ie TVs. So Ive been considering replacing my 27” monitor with a 4K 55” one, and putting it around 2 meters away (6-7ft) or even further if I can get away with that.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I suppose the question here is really if focusing on something 2 meters away is better than focusing on something 70cm away (2.3ft)?

maybe your eyes are too sensitive to the brightness. maybe try turning down the brightness of your current monitor and see how that feels.

Reactions: travm
like this
The eye muscles are strained by constantly focusing on things that are close, but not sure 1m vs 2m makes that big of a difference. A bigger difference should be letting your eyes look far into the distance every half an hour or so for a few minutes, giving the muscles a break. I currently also experience problems and what helps is relaxing the eye muscles. If you do go down this road I would be interested in a feedback though.

As you get older it gets harder to maintain focus at closer distances but that sounds a bit far. Once you get to about three feet the benefit of being in the sweet spot should kick in.

As far as I am concerned, placing a larger monitor further away kind of defeats the purpose of having a larger monitor in the first place. The idea is that you have something that fills more of your peripheral vision and is more immersive. I sit about two and a half feet from my 43" Acer Predator.

Numerous things can cause eye strain. Starting with your eyes, when was the last time that you had an eye test? If you already wear glasses, does the Dr know you spend time in front of a monitor? Do you need new glasses?

As for the monitor, could be the display type, resolution being used, brightness, refresh rate.

Environment can matter as well, such as the lighting in the room. Monitor placement (too high, too low, too far, too close). Or even just how you sit.

As far as I am concerned, placing a larger monitor further away kind of defeats the purpose of having a larger monitor in the first place. The idea is that you have something that fills more of your peripheral vision and is more immersive. I sit about two and a half feet from my 43" Acer Predator.

It defeat one of the purpose (field of vision) but if that was the only one, being really close to an ipad size monitor could do the trick, eye comfort for the focus distance and general comfort (larger/farther the screen the more body and head position are valid to watch it) are also factors, that why a lot of people prefer a larger tv to a small but close monitor that give the exact same field of view, easier to use a couch in multiple position.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
If your current TV is about 55inch and 4k, maybe you could give it a real life test, by simply plugging your computer to it via HDMI ?

Back