Big Typhoon - Lapping Pics - Temp Curves - Before and After

malicious said:
the 12c drop was going from a volcano7+ to a laped Big Typhoon

....................................... :rolleyes:
My bad :p I take it there are no before lap and after lap results

wow, how much clearance is there between the fan and the side panel of your case? doesn't look like that fan has much room to breathe...

shoman24v said:
My bad :p I take it there are no before lap and after lap results

No before lap temps .. sorry

I will have 54.4cfms vs. 86.6cfms comparison though

keep checking the first post ... i'll update it every few days untill there's nothing left to say.

cheers

kniah said:
wow, how much clearance is there between the fan and the side panel of your case? doesn't look like that fan has much room to breathe...

I guess it's got enough .. tried it with the side off and didn't make much difference.

I hope the 120x38 will fit (M1A)

My Thermaltake Volcano 9 had a very coarse surface... it was pretty bad.

BTW I'm pretty sure the OP used the 10,000 grit finish and not some random polish to make it look shiny. Just because it's reflective/shiny doesn't mean it's not flat :)

wwswimming said:
shiny does not equal flat i've worked about 22 years in Silicon valley, about half that time designing heat sinks. this doesn't mean i know everything about heat sinks. it just means i sit in rooms and offices with other engineers getting paid to talk about heatsinks (when we're not shopping on Newegg).
Ok - I wanna know what heatsink YOU are using! :)

Whatever HSF he's using it can't be MUCH better than my laped Big Typhoon with the M1A on it at 86.6cfm. This thing is as good as some of the bay style watercooling units.

ShuttleLuv said:
My Big Typhoon's surface seems fine. No dips or scratches really.

I thought mine was OK as well.....

It cools very well, I bet a good lapping session MIGHT result in a 2c or maybe 3c drop....I might get around to it one weekend...AFTER the Christmas holidays....and yes folks, that CHRISTmas, not x-mas.....politically correct sucks ass...

12c drop....NO, not gonna happen.

Well, it might happen if you went from ... no thermal compund on the sink and your fan was 7v and hsf was not seated correctly.... to compund and a 12v.and a good tight fit of hsf. :D.

I always lap my sinks....just haven't got the materials right now nor the will to. I will eventually. But as I said, it's fine and dandy as it is.

Please read everything before you make such statements:

The 12degree temp drop is in comparision to a volano 7+ HSF ... not an unlapped Big T.

Last time i checked 50 - 38 = 12

i think the thermal paste finally broke in so i might update with new temps...

this thing rocks but i'm iching for water... ha ;)

contaminant said:
Darn, I am getting the urge to lap my typhoon.

gah! getting earge to lap waterblock...but thats sooooooooooooooooo much work to take it out... its not worth it...next time i do a cleaning overhaul.

DarkenReaper57 said:
Like I said before, I am not sure if this is true, but I would definetly lean towards it being true rather than false.
i concur ;)

anyone have any optical flats? thats a good way to measure flatness. expensive though:p

Back