Big Seasonic Power at a Small Price

I have two Seasonic power supplies, and a third that is a Corsair built by Seasonic that I keep in my spares box. My 650w Seasonic is 12 years old and has been in at least two different computers, and is currently powering a little 24/7 Linux box with 6 drives. It has reached that faithful point where if it blew up tomorrow, I'd still be happy that I bought it.

Good brand. Good part. Good price.

But damn if the need for 1kw and up PSUs is at an all time low. I mean, even with a Vega 64 and over clocked 2700x, you don't exactly 'need' one.

Interesting times we live in.

Last edited:
Very nice.

I may just buy this to replace my aging Silverstone Strider Gold ST1200-G I bought back in 2011. I could have sworn I had read excellent reviews for these back when I bought it, but these days I am seeing pretty poor ones.

Seasonic makes some damned good stuff though.

When crypto mining was in full bloom earlier in the year 1200 watt PSUs were out of stock everywhere and something like this would fetch $300-$400 used, because the greenhorns didn’t know you could daisy chain smaller much cheaper power supplies or even use server power supplies off eBay which still stayed relatively cheap.

Last edited:
Ah, there you have it. I didn't consider it really. I see all the amazing reviews but I know I'm not in the market for it so I gloss over the details like power.

Multi-GPU and TR.

Or also I guess a dual socket system or server with loads of drives.

You do have to admire the level of performance you can fit into a 650-700W envelope.

I like my seasonic power supplys. An "older design" gold 520w unit and a newer 360w gold unit (Jonnyguru gave this model an almost perfect rating. Its voltage regulation is fantastic).

Back