Big Ransomware Outbreak Today - Be Vigilant

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Update 8: Microsoft has pushed out hotfixes for WannaCry and older Windows OS.

We also know that some of our customers are running versions of Windows that no longer receive mainstream support. That means those customers will not have received the above mentioned Security Update released in March. Given the potential impact to customers and their businesses, we made the decision to make the Security Update for platforms in custom support only, Windows XP, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2003, broadly available for download (see links below).

Update 7: Microsoft Statement - "Today our engineers added detection and protection against new malicious software known as Ransom:Win32.WannaCrypt. In March, we provided a security update which provides additional protections against this potential attack. Those who are running our free antivirus software and have Windows updates enabled, are protected. We are working with customers to provide additional assistance."

Update 6: FedEx has instructed approximately 80,000 employees, via email, to turn off their computers till Monday while it tries to deal with the WannCry ransomware.

Update 5: FedEx (FDX ) here in the United States has now been impacted by the WannaCry ransomware. FedEx has not determined exactly how it is spreading, but it is. Virtual Machines currently seem to be the most vulnerable on its network. FedEx is currently shutting down its PCs and taking its ESX servers offline as well.

Update 4: In-house HardOCP security experts have reported that the Russian Ministry of the Interior (Police) network has now been taken down by WannyCry ransomware.

Update 3: Microsoft pushed out a patch for this in March as reported by the BBC, but many have not yet updated the vulnerable systems.

Update 2: HardOCP in-house security experts have verified that the attack is being conducted Eternal Blue. Eternal Blue was an exploitation tool released in Vault 7, the NSA tool dump from WikiLeaks. You can use this page to watch the current infection rate worldwide after you click connect.

Update: HardOCP in-house security experts have verified that the WannaCry ransomware is using a remote command execution vulnerability through Server Message Block (SMB).

While the outbreak is mainly isolated to Spain currently, it would be good for our System Admin readers to be very aware of this as it seems to be a very nasty strain of ransomware.

In Twitter conversations, Telefonica employees and collaborators told Bleeping Computer that the company had sent several internal memos, telling employees to also disconnect from the company's internal WiFi network. Additionally, the company blasted warnings throgh[sic] audio speakers inside their Madrid headquarters, warning employees to shut down their computers.

From what I can find, this is being spread through phishing mail, but once it is in a network, it seems to have some other forms of infection if I am reading the Telefonica stories correctly, but none are exactly specific about that. Best Security Search has a bit more detail on this, and instructions for removal. Our own in-house security expert thought that it is mapping file shares on the infection and copies to those. There are also some indicators that it is using RDP connections to spread to connected devices which is allowing it to spread extremely quickly.

One of the main strategies that malware operators use is associated with sending phishing spam emails. The criminals typically employ body text, graphics and content that appears to be sent from a well-known and legitimate user, individual, company or government institution. Depending on the type of infection, WannaCry virus may either be attached directly, hyperlinked or downloaded via a script download. This is usually achieved by attaching various documents which may appear to be of user interest such as invoices, letters and etc. When the users interact with them a malicious macro or other type of script downloads WannaCry virus from a remote server and infects the local computer.

Another possibility is the use of hacked or hacker-controlled web sites, portals and malicious ads. They typically spread spam and viruses disguised as free or trial versions of popular software – applications, games, utilities or patches. Malicious ad networks also serve this role while at the same time generate income for the operators.

It does not look to be a quick fix however.

WARNING! Manual removal of the WannaCry ransomware virus requires being familiar with system files and registries. Removing important data accidentally can lead to permanent system damage. If you don’t feel comfortable with manual instructions, download a powerful anti-malware tool that will scan your system for malware and clean it safely for you.

Be careful on what you click on. As I was typing this up, it was reported that NHS hospitals across England are dealing with multiple infections as well.

Last edited:
I was loling at the 'sys admins should be careful'

then I checked my home server to find I hadn't re-installed the malware scanner. oopsie. thanks for the reminder--although I think i read W10 is not so susceptible to this one. IDK

I was loling at the 'sys admins should be careful'

then I checked my home server to find I hadn't re-installed the malware scanner. oopsie. thanks for the reminder--although I think i read W10 is not so susceptible to this one. IDK
It is being told to me that Windows 10 IS susceptible.

Nuke the drives and restore from backup... Hopefully you have backups going back far enough that aren't infected.

The conincidental thing is... Last weeks Chicago med was this storyline. Someone got the idea and leveraged a windows flaw..

Windows needs to die

The conincidental thing is... Last weeks Chicago med was this storyline. Someone got the idea and leveraged a windows flaw..

Windows needs to die

Why? If you replace Windows with another OS to pick up the market share, you'll find that OS targeted for this type of thing. All OS's have exploits.

If its capable of decrypting some of the files for free, doesn't that mean the decryption key is kept locally?

Depends, they could have it use a different key for encryption of the "proof of life" files.

Interesting. First - Does it encrypt your entire computer and all drives? Part of me doesn't care if they encrypt my main OS drive, I just care about my other drives.

Second, If this was installed and already infected my computer I would think immediately shutdown (to prevent it from deleting the encrypted files) and then try to find a solution on another computer....

Interesting. First - Does it encrypt your entire computer and all drives? Part of me doesn't care if they encrypt my main OS drive, I just care about my other drives.

Second, If this was installed and already infected my computer I would think immediately shutdown (to prevent it from deleting the encrypted files) and then try to find a solution on another computer....

Most crpyto-ransomware will encrypt everything on all drives it can find (including mapped network drives) with the exception of core OS and program files (you can't pay them if your computer can't boot). It is also designed to run silently in the background while it's doing the encryption and will only display it's pop-up notice once it's finished. Some of the more nefarious ones will copy the files to a spot on your harddrive while encrypting and then, once finished, will overwrite everything so as not to arouse suspicion (meaning you can use your computer as normal without a problem until it's too late).

I had to laugh at the part where they say "if you're too poor to pay us, we'll have a free decryption day in 6 months". They might be assholes, but they're assholes with hearts.

Most crpyto-ransomware will encrypt everything on all drives it can find (including mapped network drives) with the exception of core OS and program files (you can't pay them if your computer can't boot). It is also designed to run silently in the background while it's doing the encryption and will only display it's pop-up notice once it's finished. Some of the more nefarious ones will copy the files to a spot on your harddrive while encrypting and then, once finished, will overwrite everything so as not to arouse suspicion (meaning you can use your computer as normal without a problem until it's too late).

I had to laugh at the part where they say "if you're too poor to pay us, we'll have a free decryption day in 6 months". They might be assholes, but they're assholes with hearts.

It's incredibly stupid to pay knowing that it's highly unlikely the ransomware will self-delete itself. That said, if this were happening to me I would just figure I would have to start my Linux distro collection all over again...

so glad Vault 7 was released to the public. I mean, I feel so vindicated and much more secure knowing that CIA secret tools are now public domain and using in more hacks against more targets. Nasty CIA and their tools. I mean, it's not like other countries are using these types of tools against us! Glad it all got put into the light!

/sarcasm

My pc has been off since yesterday (life stuff) I may wait for the all clear before I turn it on.

Well I've made sure that all service ports are closed on my Internet connection so hopefully it won't effect me.

Thanks NSA,

While searching for the boogeyman, you got f'd up the ass. Now cyber crime organizations get to f us again. Yes, thank you for making the world a LESS safe place.

Bitcoin wallets seemingly associated with the ransomware were reported to have already started filling up with cash.

And this is why people who aren't computer security experts at the top of the food chain shouldn't make decisions.

If Microsoft could be trusted at all, many more systems would be patched with the March update that closes this security hole.

All my systems are patched, both here and at home. We typically get security updates here at work two days after they're posted.

This isn't trust, it's just laziness. That, or they're using pirated copies of Windows.

Idiots will find some justification for being idiots, no matter HOW GOOD Microsoft patches are.

Thanks NSA,

While searching for the boogeyman, you got f'd up the ass. Now cyber crime organizations get to f us again. Yes, thank you for making the world a LESS safe place.

And this is why people who aren't computer security experts at the top of the food chain shouldn't make decisions.

Depends.

If you're a hospital (like this story is saying are affected), turning away 10 customers can cost you quite a bit more than some $600 ransom dollars.

I'm not saying its hit our office at all.

Enjoy this live feed into our information security management meeting.

fight-in-the-conference-room.gif

If Microsoft could be trusted at all, many more systems would be patched with the March update that closes this security hole.
so the patchg
Depends.

If you're a hospital (like this story is saying are affected), turning away 10 customers can cost you quite a bit more than some $600 ransom dollars.
This is the NHS, turning away patience saves them money

Oh, man, I better patch my home network!

Systems to patch:
1. Server running Gentoo Hardened
2. Main Development System: Mac Pro
3. Main Portable Workstation: Macbook Pro
4. SteamBox : Windows 10 Professional
5. Wife's system : Windows 10 Professional
6. Son's system : IPad Air 2
7. Routers : DDWRT
8. DNS Server : Raspberry Pi (Raspbian)
9. Security Server : Raspberry Pi (CentOS)
10. My Phone : Android 7.0
11. Wife's Phone : iOS
12. My Tablet : Android 7.0

Yep that's every internet device in the house.

Only 2 do I have to patch, and neither of those would I care a bit to have to reformat.

I learned a long time ago, I don't trust any critical system to Microsoft.

Update 5: FedEx (FDX ) here in the United States has now been impacted by the WannaCry ransomware. FedEx has not determined exactly how it is spreading, but it is. Virtual Machines currently seem to be the most vulnerable on its network. FedEx is currently shutting down its PCs and taking its ESX servers offline as well.

Thanks NSA,

Question, do you know if the NSA has found the boogeyman or has not? Do you know what the NSA may have protected us from vs what they haven't? Do you know what tools other countries are using against us? The reason people are using this software is because an organization thought it was their duty in publishing it to the world. You need to view this from a more critical eye than just "OMG, NSA USING SPY TOOLS TO FIND BIGFOOT! NOW WE GET SCREWED!"

Question, do you know if the NSA has found the boogeyman or has not? Do you know what the NSA may have protected us from vs what they haven't? Do you know what tools other countries are using against us? The reason people are using this software is because an organization thought it was their duty in publishing it to the world. You need to view this from a more critical eye than just "OMG, NSA USING SPY TOOLS TO FIND BIGFOOT! NOW WE GET SCREWED!"
The real question is... how long did MS know about this? Sure they patched the flaw once the vault was made public BUT did they know about it for years but kept it open for the NSA?

if MS left it unsecure they need to be punished,

Reactions: Meeho
like this

In fact, the NSA has recently scaled back their program of spying on Americans because they bring up a "target" word in conversation. They realized the correlation was small to nill. And NSA really doesn't post when they catch the bad guys do they?

The last time I heard anything that the NSA might have had a hand in stopping was Russian spies transferring sensitive data via pictures. If they were really that effective there is no reason not to put themselves in a public spot light a year after the investigation closes. But for some reason I never hear how they stopped X, Y Z. Why is that? Why don't they publish statistics for everyone to see like:
NSA is responsible for stopping 23 state actor campaign attempts to access defense networks last year
NSA is responsible for exposing 52 terrorist attacks by 152 known terrorist last year
NSA spied on 124,000 americans last year that they discovered had no connection to any investigation
NSA helped craft fixes to 16 exploits which were used in attacks by state actors last year

Why don't they publish any of that @#%@#$@#? You can't tell me such generic numbers are classified.

And yes other countries like NK, China, and Russia are having all kinds of fun with their spear fishing script kiddies and exploits. There are other ways to inflect damage to them without holding out on potentially damaging information as has happened here.

I still think IF you are part of classified information or infrastructure there should be a law to keep you off any external systems except for a very very tight firewall system that processes batch commands for file transfers, and white listed email that can be monitored for suspicious activity. And that email system is text only with limited MIME support. No HTML crap. Any USB access would get you insta arrested and fired. Any bios/UEFI access insta arrested and fired. (Outside upper IT admins)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had windows policies to block most of the cryptolock variants at work. Checking to see if this one has any new tricks...

Update 6: FedEx has instructed approximately 80,000 employees, via email, to turn off their computers till Monday while it tries to deal with the WannCry ransomware.

Back