Big Problem

EpicOfChaos

Weaksauce
guys I have a big/huge problem maybe you can help. first every time I open up word and type some stuff word crashes. if I try to print something off the internet IE crashes. if I open up notepad notepad crashes. but I can surf on IE just fine no problems. I can play games no problems but that other stuff has one of those critical errors and has to close I need your help.

thanks Epic:rolleyes:

Well, I'm definitely not the smartest guy on here but a little more info would probably help. Like your current setup. What OS are you running? Are you running other things when these "crashes" ocurr? That kind of info would give us something to go on.

Sorry for not that much info. first I am running Win. XP Pro. and when these crashes occur there is no other program running. Do you suggest I reformat?

Well, I'm sure that a complete format and reinstall would solve the problem providing it's not a hardware problem but it may not be necessary. Have you tried reinstalling IE? How about using some app that will check out your hard drive like Scandisk or Norton's solution (I can't think of what it's called at the moment). It couldn't hurt to have one of those do a scan of your hard drive and have it "mark" any bad sectors it might find.

Also, although I haven't tried this yet because I haven't had a need to, it seems some of people on this forum like to run an app called Prime 95 to do a hardware test. You might try that or even run memtest86 to test out your RAM.

Put your XP disc in and go start--> run --> SFC/ SCANNOW
See if it finds anything.
If it crashes running this, go into safe mode (F8) and run it.

Back