Big problem with Win7/Macrium Reflect backup

I have used MR for several years without a moment of trouble. I have ver 5.3, build 7310. I went on their website and this version is no longer supported.
I backed up my system this morning, then restored an old image file. After that I tried to restore the newly created image file, but it failed. The MR error message is "the handle is invalid". MR suggests I reboot with the Win7 install disc and do a repair. When I tried that, Windows told me it could not repair the drive. The Windows error says "corrupt boot config data".
The strange thing is that I can take my Win7 install disc and format the drive and install a fresh copy of Win7 and it works just fine. However, when I try to restore any of my image files I get the same error.
Does anybody know how to fix this? I have a ton of stuff on my backup image and dread the thought of installing a fresh copy of Windows and starting all over.

you need to rebuild the boot config(BCD). It sound like it didn't image everything properly. if you wipe it and reload of course it will work, it creates new boot config data.

Well, I dodged a bullet this time. My regular backup procedure is that I backup an image file of my Win7 boot drive (C:) to my file storage drive (D:). Most of the time I will copy the image file to an external drive (E:) for off-site storage. I tried several times to restore my latest image file from the D: drive. I even tried some older image files, but they had the same MR error (handle is invalid). I remembered that I had a copy of the image file on my external drive, so gave that a try, and it restored my boot drive!
I am not sure why the original image file failed, but the copy worked fine.
One thing I want to do is to update my backup software. The image file restore using MR takes 2 1/2 hours for a 70 gb image, so I would like to find a faster backup software.

The newest version of Macrium doesn't take that long. I'm backing up a 90% full 1TB SSD to a spinning disk in just over an hour. Restoring it takes roughly 90 minutes.
Older versions used to take much longer, but something they have done has sped things up quite a bit.

The newest version of Macrium doesn't take that long. I'm backing up a 90% full 1TB SSD to a spinning disk in just over an hour. Restoring it takes roughly 90 minutes.
Older versions used to take much longer, but something they have done has sped things up quite a bit.

I agree. I installed MR free version 7 and did a test backup and restore. My old version (ver 5) took 21 minutes to backup and 150 minutes to restore. With version 7, it took 16 minutes and 90 minutes, so there is a speed advantage. The drive is a boot drive with 127 GB of data.

Back