Big problem with Dual Core Upgrade

exorcism

n00b
My complete and detailed system specs are below.

I recently upgraded from an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz 512KB Winchester CPU to my current AMD Athlon X2 4800+. I have never had any problems with my computer until this upgrade.

However, my computer is crashing all the time now! If I enable Cool'n'Quiet in the bios the computer frequently halts with "Machine Check Exception" and always halts during games. However, with CnQ disabled the computer frequently halts with "Bad Pool Caller" (at any given time, regardless of what I'm doing.)

This is happening all the time now and it is very frustrating! Like I said, I’ve never had problems until this upgrade.

I’m not over clocking, or doing anything unusual (that I’m aware of.)

I’m a bit concerned the power supply isn’t powerful enough to handle this CPU. I can’t seem to find any AMD certifications or recommendations for power supplies. I don’t want to buy anything I don’t absolutely need, and I only have about $100 to spend if I do. However, I really need to get this fixed ASAP.

I also remember in the old days there was a danger of chipping or cracking the core when installing the heatsync. Is that still a problem and should I be concerned that I installed it wrong?

What do you think is wrong with my system, and how can I fix it?

Thanks

Fresh Install Windows XP Pro SP2, all patches

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4GHz 1MB L2/ea.
Stock heatsync (heatpipe version) runs at ~40-45C
Driver:
AMD Processor Driver 1.2.2.2 (actual file version 1.2.2.0)
Windows XP hotfix (files+registry)

Motherboard:
Asus A8V-Deluxe Via K8T800Pro + VT8237 Bios 1017
Driver:
VIA Hyperion Pro 5.07A

Memory:
Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit (2x 512MB) DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory Dual Channel Configuration @ 400MHz

Power Supply:
EnerMax Noisetaker 370W EG375P-VE
+3.3V: 27A (89.1w) +5V: 27A (135w) 2x +12V: 18A (216w)/ea.

Video Card:
PNY Verto GeForce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 8x idles at ~61c
Driver:
nVidia 81.98

Sound Card:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 2 ZS
Driver:
Creative Labs 02.08.0004

Wireless Card:
Asus WiFi-G RALink RT2500 PCI
Driver:
RALink 2500 3.1.0.0

Hard Drive:
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B300S0 300GB Serial ATA (1.5Gb/s) 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

DVD-RW:
Pioneer DVR-A08XL Firmware 1.20-B

Floppy Drive:
Standard 1.44MB 3.25"

Couple of quick responses to a lot of questions I've been asked:

-All the drivers are the latest stable available.

-The bios is the latest available. The CMOS has been cleared and have tried using my bios settings and the defaults. Doesn't make a difference (except the C&Q option above.)

-Temps/Volts:
(With case fully assembled, sides on, etc.)

Idle:
200.26x5.00 1001.28mhz 1.1v
Processor temp: 30C (86F)
"Temp1": 18C (64.4F)
"Temp3": 16C (60.8F)
Vcore: 1.09v
+12v: 11.43v
3.3v: 3.30v
Vcc: 5.01v
5vsb: 4.96v

Load:
(running dnetc on both cores)
200.26x12.00 2403.07mhz 1.4v
Processor temp: 49C (120.2F)
"Temp1": 18C (64.4F)
"Temp3": 31C (87.8F)
Vcore: 1.36v
+12v: 11.31v
3.3v: 3.30v
Vcc: 5.01v
5vsb: 4.93v

According to AMD's tech sheets, the processor is designed to run at 49-65C.

-Most of the parts in this system are not very old.
Video card: Got it when Doom3 came out (little over a year.)
Motherboard/RAM/Old proc: Got when Everquest2 came out (around a year.)
Powersupply: Got when the video card killed my old power supply (was a 250w), around a year.

-The video card has always ran at this temp since I got it. It's actually running a bit hotter now, but I have to clean the dust out of its tiny heatsync every couple of months. (Time to do it again, starting to buzz a lot too.)

-I upgraded to this processor mostly for working in Adobe Premiere and encoding. These programs and more use the dual-core feature and it helps a lot. Every OpenGL game I have and several Direct3D games do as well.

-I have been looking at and considering the Enermax Liberty 500w which is about $105 at zipzoomfly.

-I let Prime95, dnetc, and Hot CPU Test Pro 4 run overnight. None reported errors and there were no crashes.

make sure you have the latest BIOS. Also you do not need to enable CnQ if you want to run on a reduced voltage curve. Running a program like CrystalCPUID or Rmclock would work better. The bad pool caller etc BSOD is the problem with the Nvidia video drivers and the Dual core processors. Use Drivers 77.77. You can find them at Gurd3d. If you must use an 80 series or above driver search for the register fix for the dual core processors.

11.31v on the 12v rail @ load looks pretty low to me. Anything under 11.76v resulted in random lock-up/reboot issues with my old psu.
Check the dual core/nvidia driver thread. Lots of help in there, should fix your problem.

whoops. deleted. I missed the fact that you had already run those various drivers and fixes. sorry.

SpoogeMonkey said:
11.31v on the 12v rail @ load looks pretty low to me. Anything under 11.76v resulted in random lock-up/reboot issues with my old psu.
Check the dual core/nvidia driver thread. Lots of help in there, should fix your problem.

Could someone point me to this thread as I am not finding it through search. TIA.

If i remember correctly I thought the Cool and Quiet had problems with the dual core chips.

Is that fixed now?

I keep C&Q off on my machines so I cant say if its truly an issue, but I have read quite a few places that recommend turning C&Q off with dual core chips. You do need to make sure your O/S (windows xp for example) has proper updates and your CPU drivers are installed though.

Disable CNQ and use the Q-Fan function on the Asus board. Also, your voltages look really low on the +12v line. Anything under 11.7 usually results in lockups or bluescreens. Have you checked the +12v line with a voltmeter?

I also remember in the old days there was a danger of chipping or cracking the core when installing the heatsync. Is that still a problem and should I be concerned that I installed it wrong?

Not a problem with cracking the core anymore. All Athlon 64's/FX/Opterons/Semprons come with a built in (or should that be "on") thermal lid that protects the cores. More a problem of accidentally pulling out the processor and bending pins when you attempt to remove the heatsink to re-seat it. I suggest using a hairdryer to heat up the HSF, then carefully turning the HSF from side to side until it breaks the paste/thermal pad seal. Then you can safely remove the HSF without pulling out the processor with it!

I personally use a 350w Antec PSU with my dual core 3800X2. I don't have any problems associated with voltage. However, my rails are all within +/-2% of allowable.

I'd suggest the voltmeter and use the older video card drivers to see what happens. Good luck.

I have a Asus A8V-Deluxe myself. One thing that did help me was to install the SATA drivers by hitting F6 in dos. Also, I would get random crashes in windows as well with using old Nvidia drivers. I had to download their newer dual core certify ones. I've updated my bios to 015 but not to the lastest one, 018beta. Here's my setup.

A8V Deluxe (bios 015 beta 2, CnQ disable)
X2 3800+
2GB (2x1gb Corsair Value, Samsung UCCC)
Audigy 2
6600GT
160GB, 160GB (Promise SATA)
160GB (IDE)

Back