BIG Problem with DFI UT Setup - Help!

2dFx

Weaksauce
Here's the setup:

-A64 3200+ Clawhammer C0
-1x512MB stick Kingston HyperX BH5
-DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB
-eVGA GF 6800GT

Previously to this I bought a used MSI K8N Neo Plat. that I used for a day until it died...when I turned it on it would power for 7 secs then shut off, North bridge VERY hot to the touch, burned finger as proof.

Bought the DFI, assembled everything, POSTs, Memtest86+ on full tests comes up with no errors, but I cannot install windows for some reason. Everytime I boot off the XP cd it will get to 'Setup is starting Windows' then crash with a blue box stating 'atapi.sys' caused the stop error. Linux won't install either, coming up with a different kernel panic every restart.

I've changed the Slot the DIMM was in, ive played around with voltages, i'm absolutely stumped. Someone give me some ideas - did the MSI KFC my CPU?

This may sound really silly, but did you check your CDROM? I just built a folding box from spare parts that I had + the free with rebate Soyo p4 mobo. The CPU was pulled from a machine that I upgraded for a client. I kept getting BSOD's when I tried to install WinXP and Win 98... So I swapped in some parts from a working machine and found out it was the CDROM. I rma'd it, and now it works fine.

Just a suggestion, hope everything works out for you!

2dFx said:
Here's the setup:

-A64 3200+ Clawhammer C0
-1x512MB stick Kingston HyperX BH5
-DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB
-eVGA GF 6800GT

Previously to this I bought a used MSI K8N Neo Plat. that I used for a day until it died...when I turned it on it would power for 7 secs then shut off, North bridge VERY hot to the touch, burned finger as proof.

Bought the DFI, assembled everything, POSTs, Memtest86+ on full tests comes up with no errors, but I cannot install windows for some reason. Everytime I boot off the XP cd it will get to 'Setup is starting Windows' then crash with a blue box stating 'atapi.sys' caused the stop error. Linux won't install either, coming up with a different kernel panic every restart.

I've changed the Slot the DIMM was in, ive played around with voltages, i'm absolutely stumped. Someone give me some ideas - did the MSI KFC my CPU?

first off, enter bios and load optimized defaults. Don't OC or change voltages when installing windows.

dr_dirtnap's got a very good suggestion, I've also had a bad cdrom drive cause problems (didn't entirely stop the installation process, just introduced errors throughout to cause problems for weeks).

head to dfi-street forums, the mobo manufacturers support forums. Angry_Games has some stickied posts to read, be sure you read them all first, then post your question if they don't solve it (I think they reference xp installation problems, may require bios flashing).

dr_dirtnap said:
This may sound really silly, but did you check your CDROM? I just built a folding box from spare parts that I had + the free with rebate Soyo p4 mobo. The CPU was pulled from a machine that I upgraded for a client. I kept getting BSOD's when I tried to install WinXP and Win 98... So I swapped in some parts from a working machine and found out it was the CDROM. I rma'd it, and now it works fine.

Just a suggestion, hope everything works out for you!

Tried both an LG 16X DVD and a 24x10x40 burner to no avail :(

try cleaning the CD's? :confused: I have that same problems with the windows xp pro setup cd, it will miss random files on random optical drives, one day my PCMCIA.SYS is gone, next say palabi.ttf is gone, its the most random shit. Also check your HD jumpers and memory timings, reguardless of memtest errors.

Dillusion said:
try cleaning the CD's? :confused: I have that same problems with the windows xp pro setup cd, it will miss random files on random optical drives, one day my PCMCIA.SYS is gone, next say palabi.ttf is gone, its the most random shit. Also check your HD jumpers and memory timings, reguardless of memtest errors.

Memory is at stock timings :(

CD's are clean

EDIT - problem found...memory, despite memtest showing no errors :(

Back