Big Price Cuts for GeForce GTX 780 & 770 Tomorrow, GTX 780 Ti Coming 11-7

Wow - even though I bought 4x used SC ACX 780's for $120 off retail ($550), I still couldn't avoid being burned by nvidia's price gouging. I knew I should've sold my last 2.

I had mine for 3 months, but I pity those who just bought 780's for $150 more.

Pumped. Now I get to pay my $40 difference and get the Ti and all the games with it. I always thought the Ti would come out mid to late November, but this is even better news.

It's a good time to be alive.

Are you really pumped for a 780 Ti when your sig says you have a 780? Assuming you paid retail for a reference model, you'd be paying $950 for a 780Ti assuming you sell your 780 for $400. Considering used 780's were selling for more than $100 off very shortly after launch, I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't want to pay more than $400 for a used one now.

Are you really pumped for a 780 Ti when your sig says you have a 780? Assuming you paid retail for a reference model, you'd be paying $950 for a 780Ti assuming you sell your 780 for $400. Considering used 780's were selling for more than $100 off very shortly after launch, I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't want to pay more than $400 for a used one now.

I didn't clarify (well I did, in the 780 thread and the 290x thread, not that anyone probably read it, hah): It'll only be the difference out of pocket for me, as I'm able to exchange it at Microcenter, since I only bought less than a month ago.

So yes, I'm very pumped.

to people that think the 780 ti will be a full gk110 gpu and cost less than a titan you are living in a dream world. note the gk110 chip was built for nvidia's flagship tesla K20X card that retails for a nice sum of 3,799.00 that only has 2688 cuda cores.

Last edited:
I bought two 780s right as they were released......Grrrrrrrrrrr......:mad::eek:

The money doesn't bother me so much, shit happens......

Now the game bundle wasn't there, which hurts.
I'm also intrigued by the Shield, and holy crap 100 dollars off would make me think hard about buying one to goof around with......Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Newegg has already cut the prices on the 770s and some of the 780s. Looks like they should all be updated soon!

Newegg has already cut the prices on the 770s and some of the 780s. Looks like they should all be updated soon!

Yup Evga models updated with new prices. 780 normal $519 all the way to the classified for $579

I didn't clarify (well I did, in the 780 thread and the 290x thread, not that anyone probably read it, hah): It'll only be the difference out of pocket for me, as I'm able to exchange it at Microcenter, since I only bought less than a month ago.

So yes, I'm very pumped.

Damn, a 780ti is something I'd try to avoid taxation on lol. With TX 8.25%, that's a $757 gpu.. >_<

I say keep your 780 and get it price matched. Then buy another one.

Damn, a 780ti is something I'd try to avoid taxation on lol. With TX 8.25%, that's a $757 gpu.. >_<

I say keep your 780 and get it price matched. Then buy another one.

It'll literally be a full refund, then a very small price difference to upgrade to the Ti. I've already been in talks with a Supervisor at the store. It's laid in stone, and is a unique situation (had some issues, etc. so this'll be more akin to a favor so to speak).

I understand what you mean though, on the whole, but I'd rather have the most powerful thing out there for a few bucks than get some money back. Want to "future-proof" as much as possible, regardless of how extremely stupid the entire concept of future-proofing is in this hobby, hah. Hell, I'll probably grab an 880 day one.

Hmm, decisions decisions. I love the price wars, just in time! Need to buy a new card in November so I need to wait for some info.
1. How well the 290X behaves on watercooling (already have a custom loop).
2. How much better over the 290x the 780Ti is (better be damn good for that price).
3. What difference Mantle does (not sure if any results will be out within Nov)
4. Nvidia's G-Sync looks great but I'll have to replace 3 monitors so that will be the next video card upgrade decision.

I love the choices out now though.

Good post. I would opt out of the 780Ti entirely though. $700 and performance less than a Titan is going to make it a completely redundant card.. but if it replaces the Titan, then cool.

Will be buying another EVGA 770 2GB with the ACX cooler for $329 to go with the one I already have. SLI here I come. Will play nicely with my Asus 27" 144Hz monitor. BF4 will be awesome. :)

It'll literally be a full refund, then a very small price difference to upgrade to the Ti. I've already been in talks with a Supervisor at the store. It's laid in stone, and is a unique situation (had some issues, etc. so this'll be more akin to a favor so to speak).

I understand what you mean though, on the whole, but I'd rather have the most powerful thing out there for a few bucks than get some money back. Want to "future-proof" as much as possible, regardless of how extremely stupid the entire concept of future-proofing is in this hobby, hah. Hell, I'll probably grab an 880 day one.

Future proofing would probably be in AMD's favor right now with the larger vram buffer and wider bus. I managed to use 3066 out of 3072mb of vram on my 780's in battlefield 4 on a single 1440p monitor. SS @ 120%.

It's an interesting time for us. AMD provides futureproof hardware (look at at all the 7950/7970 owners from 2 years ago sitting pretty to this day) while NVidia provides wider compatibility (SLI pre 13.8 patch, frame pacing Surround) and a generally more turn-key experience.

If upgrading GPU's every cycle isn't your thing, I'd still heavily consider a non-reference 290X over a 780 or 780Ti.

At $699, I hope the 780 Ti has 2880 CUDA cores.

It better and it better include full DP performance. With $200 that is a significant pricing difference from the GTX 780. We all know the difference is 10% improvement give or take a few percent from 780 > Titan, so a couple hundred shader cores isn't going to do a damn bit of anything really.

Even if you're an nvidia fan with no plans to buy one, you have to admit that the 290X was a pretty awesome card in how disruptive it was to the video card market. nVidia's prices had been creeping up to ridiculous levels for a while, and now they're being forced to compete again.

Finally the end of the overpriced stupidity that Nvidia had going on. Let's not forget that the GTX780 cost SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY US DOLLARS. Anyone who ever called that good value has lost all touch with the concept of value.

Looks like the GTX770 will still be a pretty bad deal but the GTX780 will be much more interesting. Not as good as the 290x but having much better thermal performance and less noise too. Bring on those non-reference 290x gpus!
Meanwhile the Titan and the 780ti will remain ludicrously overpriced. Nothing interesting to see there. If Nvidia wants the bragging rights on having the fastest gpu, let them have it. (But please don't buy them.)

Last edited:
The 780Ti is going to have to be pretty impressive to justify the $150 premium over the 290X. And I have a feeling the 290X is even more powerful than we know at this point. It was using beta drivers in the reviews.

Yay competition! Maybe we'll eventually stop seeing top-end cards that are $600...

Is it worth the upgrade to a gtx 780 from a 670?. I game in 1440p.

Yes. I had 2x 670's and they did a commendable job at 1440p, but 3gb vram is necessary at 1440p now.

EDIT: if you can get another 670 for $200 or less, just go that route and turn down AA. Pocket the cash and wait out the shit storm.

Future proofing would probably be in AMD's favor right now with the larger vram buffer and wider bus. I managed to use 3066 out of 3072mb of vram on my 780's in battlefield 4 on a single 1440p monitor. SS @ 120%.

It's an interesting time for us. AMD provides futureproof hardware (look at at all the 7950/7970 owners from 2 years ago sitting pretty to this day) while NVidia provides wider compatibility (SLI pre 13.8 patch, frame pacing Surround) and a generally more turn-key experience.

If upgrading GPU's every cycle isn't your thing, I'd still heavily consider a non-reference 290X over a 780 or 780Ti.

I really dig the PhysX thing and I don't really want to give that up. I'll play it by ear though.

Still no GTX 750 Ti announcement? Or are we stuck with the 650/660 line? I'm trying to get a GPU that only needs one PCIe plug for my HTPC

Well, this seals the deal. From my perspective, R9 290 X is even more irrelevant now than it was at release about 3-4 days ago.

Well, this seals the deal. From my perspective, R9 290 X is even more irrelevant now than it was at release about 3-4 days ago.

It just made NVidia dropped the price of the 780 -$150 within days of its announcement. So yea, I would say its relevant. Nvidia fans should give AMD a big thank you.

Actually I'd say the 780 is still overpriced. You can spend $50 more and get 1GB more faster memory, 500+ more stream processors, and arguably the fastest single GPU currently. The 780 really should have been dropped to more like $450.

This is why competition is good, customer wins. Kinda kicking myself for paying $650 for my 780 GTX and getting no games too. Guess it's worth it to wait a little bit after a card launches.

Go Nvidia!
Go AMD!

Exactly. The best thing to happen to Nvidia users was the release of the 290x. Competition benefits everyone. $499 for a 780 is a much more realistic price,imo. Buy a 780 overclock it, now you have a 780TI,done. Hopefully this will also get AMD to rethink a lower price on the unreleased 290(non-X), that I am waiting for.

I'm excited to see what MSI does with Lightning versions of the AMD card. I've been on team green for many years now, but at the point I spend around $500 on a GPU, I'm going to want it to scale really well, heat be damned as long as it doesn't wind up causing issues with the performance of the card. It looks like the ATI card would be better set up to cope with increased resolutions and settings over the 2-3 years following release. If Nvidia had cut prices to equal AMD's, then it would be a tougher call for me, but at this point, barring driver issues or the like for the ATI cards, it's a no brainer.

I think the 780 is at a good price point right now but the 780ti at 699 seems a bit high, unless if can significantly beat a 290x.

Well nvidia's 780 is hamstrung with an expensive cooler. So when the AMD AIB partners custom 290x cards come in with better coolers even if they charge a $50 premium the 290x should perform significantly better than reference reviews show and further distance itself from the competition. And another wave of price adjustments. I'd wait this one out whichever brand you are looking at.

Then there will be the 290...

Fun times! :)

Well it was relevant enough to make me question which card I want to buy, and caused nVidia to make some very large price drops... Now I'm having to re-evaluate everything for my December purchase, too.. That's a pretty large impact for something irrelevant. :D

Well it was relevant enough to make me question which card I want to buy, and caused nVidia to make some very large price drops... Now I'm having to re-evaluate everything for my December purchase, too.. That's a pretty large impact for something irrelevant. :D

Ignore the trolls.

Back