Big Navi VRAM specs leak: 16GB Navi 21 and 12GB Navi 22 go head to head with GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090

I hope so too. I want to play 2077, max settings, 1440@144. RT would be a nice addition. I'm waiting to see how it all shakes out before i make a decision about what to buy, 3080 or Big Navi.

Absolutely big Navi and shit AMD might even include a free copy of Cyberpunk with a purchase.

Absolutely big Navi and shit AMD might even include a free copy of Cyberpunk with a purchase.

It's looking like that will be the case, but I'm still in wait and see mode. I've owned gpus from both companies, the 1080ti was definitely a great deal, considering I bought it at launch, but the x-fire 290s under water were more fun.

Nvidia's current Watch Dogs Legion promotion ends October 29th. I would be very surprised if they haven't locked down CyberPunk 2077 as their next promotion in November since they've been using it as a part of their RTX showcase numerous times already.

I'd rather AMD not invest in costly promotions. I'd prefer they put those funds into R&D and developing the best possible card they can to be competitive with Nvidia again at all performance tiers.

Yeah, the CP2077 edition of an Nvidia card tells me CDPR is not partnering with AMD on this launch.

Nvidia's current Watch Dogs Legion promotion ends October 29th. I would be very surprised if they haven't locked down CyberPunk 2077 as their next promotion in November since they've been using it as a part of their RTX showcase numerous times already.

I'd rather AMD not invest in costly promotions. I'd prefer they put those funds into R&D and developing the best possible card they can to be competitive with Nvidia again at all performance tiers.

Their R and D is done. There isnt much more they can do as the cards are already being mass produced for Oct 28th hard launch as confirmed by AMD.

1601329349714.png

Thus, any promotional addition at this point is just marketing to get more attention and I am ok with that. If you think about it, yes the price of 2077 would be embedded in the price of the card, however at a much lower cost per game than retail. We might be paying $10/copy when price embedded as a bundle deal as opposed to full $59.99 retail of the game.

But as others have said it is probably an nVidia promotion to go with their vapor ware cards.

Their R and D is done. There isnt much more they can do as the cards are already being mass produced for Oct 28th hard launch as confirmed by AMD.

View attachment 283738

Thus, any promotional addition at this point is just marketing to get more attention and I am ok with that. If you think about it, yes the price of 2077 would be embedded in the price of the card, however at a much lower cost per game than retail. We might be paying $10/copy when price embedded as a bundle deal as opposed to full $59.99 retail of the game.

But as others have said it is probably an nVidia promotion to go with their vapor ware cards.

Guess tech journos were too quick to release that little tidbit that they didn't even bother confirming that confirmation. What a surprise.

https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1309465638751137793?s=20

Screenshot_2020-09-28 Frank Azor on Twitter.png

This one is a little more concerning. Is he trying to soften the blow of another mid-tier release?

View attachment 283758

It looks like you're trying just as hard to put words in his mouth as the journalists you just criticized in the first part of your double post.

Edit:words are hard

Last edited:
Big Cache!! Big Cache !! (Vanna White voice, clapping)

I think it was a good move to hold back a month , instead of quickly announcing or leaking as nVidia launched - another month to comb the drivers and optimize performance.

Navi was introduced at a good price point ..5600xt not so much & there were huge differences in quality between the cards . Half of nVidias draw is the perception of 'it just works' and 'they are more quiet' .

I cancelled my clearance 2070 Super & can't wait to see all the new items at that price point ..from both mfg

Not ever gonna happen as 2077 is a nVIDIA sponsored game.
But since AMD or their board partners would have to foot the bill it would be a mad power play. Be all like “we think our shit is so hot we’re willing to advertise our rival ironically as we curb stomp them at their own game”

Everybody wins.

But since AMD or their board partners would have to foot the bill it would be a mad power play. Be all like “we think our shit is so hot we’re willing to advertise our rival ironically as we curb stomp them at their own game”

Everybody wins.

Ok,your right it would be interesting to say the least....

My local Bestbuy has had the Founder's Edition in stock for most of the weekend.

If you actually cared, you could have one by now. The uncut 3090 is of-course out-of-sock everywhere.

I've joined many discords and missed out due to bots, so its definitely me "not caring" and aren't 3080s online only?

I will consider AMD if they produce the following card:

- RTX 3080 levels of rasterization performance
- Turing levels of ray tracing performance (equivalent or better % performance loss when enabling RT)
- 12+ GB of VRAM
- $700 or less
- Not a space heater

I feel like this is fairly reasonable.

- Turing levels of ray tracing performance (equivalent or better % performance loss when enabling RT)
- 12+ GB of VRAM
- $700 or less
- Not a space heater

I would disagree with reasonable. This generation of cards from both manufacturers is pushing upwards in preformance by greatly uping the power envelope. The 3080 is a space heater and so will amds soulution if its competitive. 10gb+ of vram is fine and they can play the same vram game nvidia is playing if they want however all amd really needs to do to win during this generation is.

Close to 3080 preformamce
Competitive price/$
And actually have stock on launch (this one will go along ways if the get scalpers to bite on a large stockpile of cards as well)

They can go even farther with a full die and lots of memory for the compute oriented customers or even another dual gpu card satisfying that segment (~$1500) the later may or may not be possible depending on how power hungry the die ends up being

- 12+ GB of VRAM
- $700 or less
- Not a space heater

You forgot :

- Free lucky pot of gold autographed by Peter Dinklage

Now its reasonable. Seriously though, hoping for a strong AMD showing is good, but expectations should probably be tempered instead of fantasyland.

Last edited:
It looks like you're trying just as hard to put words in his mouth as the journalists you just criticized in the first part of your double post.

Edit:words are hard

If that's what you want to think, then whatever helps you sleep at night, no skin off my back. I think the quote itself speaks volumes; or lacks volume as it were, pun intended.

If that's the case he sucks at his job.

Chief Architect of Gaming Solutions, it's very safe to say he's got nothing to do with the actual GPU design itself, nor is he in marketing. Only time will tell if he sucks at his job.

Everybody wins.

This would potentionally be another poor volta moment. I highly doubt AMDs Radeon division can take another hit like that and survive.

This would potentionally be another poor volta moment. I highly doubt AMDs Radeon division can take another hit like that and survive.
Potentially, but I am sure they have access to beta versions of the game so they could vet the performance ahead of time, but even if it failed spectacularly it would be one hell of a show.

I just want a 3080 competitor on all levels and if it's faster at an equal price point. If its just equal at 50 to 100 bucks less. And I don't mean on paper I mean in real testing.

Hmmmm, interesting tweets.

Makes him sound like a jackass to be perfectly honest. Though I will say that his original tweet in no way guaranteed there would be "ample" stock, just that it wasn't explicitly a paper launch. Though, if you talk to nVidia or AIB partners, neither was the 3080, and yet...

I’d like to see +5% 3080 with 16GB at 699.99, +5% 2080 Ti 499.99 and in 2021 +5% 2080S 349.99, +5% 2070S 249.99, +5% 2060S 179.99

I think they will be competitive with 3080 but I want AMD to lower the entry leve price/performance levels a lot.

I watched that. It looks about right for die size. I think people were suspecting little over 500 and if they have large cache 530ish sounds about right. Rumor has been they have been testing cards with difference bus width 384 bit and one with cache. The cache pretty much won out according the leaks. I guess it makes sense if its gets you even 90% of 384bit its probably lot easier to produce.

He does a good job of making sure all of his videos that I've watched lately include some good news and some bad news, so if you are on a team, there's always something for you.

That being said, everyone seems open to the possibility of two versions of Big Navi and a possible other third, more powerful, or "Biggest Navi" or XTX. Either AMD is keeping it so close to their chest or it's not a 2020 part. If there are plans for a top-tier-plus card, I'd bet both. Either that or it's not a gaming card.

Honestly I'm hoping most for really good mobile parts to distill from this. I'd love to have a solid all-AMD gaming laptop. Not looking for 4K power, but efficiency and simplicity.

+15% performance increase over a 2080 Ti is something we've been hearing for a while. I don't see that necessarily being a bad thing as that would make it only about 10-15% slower than a 3080. Give it 16GB of VRAM and price it at $600 and it'll be a solid contender against the 3080 and would also likely persuade some prospective 3070 buyers to spend an extra $100 for double the VRAM and ~10-20% more performance.

I don't see that necessarily being a bad thing as that would make it only about 10-15% slower than a 3080.
I think it's going to be well competitive with 3080. Will the third variant, if it's a gaming card, if it materializes at all, be a 3090 competitor? I wouldn't be surprised at this point that AMD has a design capable of beating the 3080 but slotting in just under the 3090 for this generation of RDNA2.

There are, I think, two main possibilities, and Corteks repeats them:

1. The memory bandwidth won't be there. Whatever solution AMD developed might pan out for some things but not others, and ultimately, the narrow bus won't be enough, or,
2. The solution is real, and AMD isn't competing against the 2000 series, they're competing directly against the 3000 series.

I'm leaning towards 2, with caveats that the 3000 series will have an edge in tech, like ray tracing and DLSS, and software suite features, while RDNA2 will have better efficiency, thermals, and maybe pricing. If it is competitive in terms of FPS, then I really don't expect AMD to undercut Nvidia on pricing by much.

That's my guess with what we've seen so far. Could change.

I think it's going to be well competitive with 3080. Will the third variant, if it's a gaming card, if it materializes at all, be a 3090 competitor? I wouldn't be surprised at this point that AMD has a design capable of beating the 3080 but slotting in just under the 3090 for this generation of RDNA2.

There are, I think, two main possibilities, and Corteks repeats them:

1. The memory bandwidth won't be there. Whatever solution AMD developed might pan out for some things but not others, and ultimately, the narrow bus won't be enough, or,
2. The solution is real, and AMD isn't competing against the 2000 series, they're competing directly against the 3000 series.

I'm leaning towards 2, with caveats that the 3000 series will have an edge in tech, like ray tracing and DLSS, and software suite features, while RDNA2 will have better efficiency, thermals, and maybe pricing. If it is competitive in terms of FPS, then I really don't expect AMD to undercut Nvidia on pricing by much.

That's my guess with what we've seen so far. Could change.
But even at +15% over the 2080 Ti its not competing against the 2000 series...that puts it right smack dab in between the 3070 and 3080. The two enthusiast tier cards that will sell well. The 3090 will not nearly sell as many so trying to compete with it shouldn't be AMD's focus at this point. But hey, if they can somehow come close to or match its performance then kudos to them!

I think they may have a solution to the reduced memory bandwidth due to the 256-bit bus, but I wouldn't be surprised if it won't be as good as just having a larger bus size to begin with. If that's the case I think it would then technically place it right around the performance of a 3080 give or take a couple percent.

Reactions: Axman
like this
AMD always gets it's gpus overhyped. I remember when they were telling us a rx480 was going to match a gtx 1080 in performancy. 🤣

Not under Lisa Su...man we don't even know if they have one or two top-level gaming dies in the pipeline.

At this point, even if it was in AMD's interest to leak and hype, I think Su is testing a new set of anti-leak protocols to rein in every last bit of info.

Again, I don't have a horse in the race. I would like AMD to be competitive in mobile graphics seeing how they're taking the lead in CPUs, and I like everything as straightforward as possible, but if Intel gets their graphics together or tightens their relationship with Nvidia I'll go that direction for my next laptop.

This is a different kind of AMD. To be honest, I haven't seen this side of AMD since AMD and ATI brands ran concurrently.

AMD always gets it's gpus overhyped. I remember when they were telling us a rx480 was going to match a gtx 1080 in performancy. 🤣
I honestly don't remember that, you sure? I don't think anyone thought a $180 GPU was going to match a $700 GPU. At least I don't remember that being a thing, then again I tend to ignore the morons who don't have any sense of reality, so it's possible someone said it, but I don't think that was the general expectation.

Previously I thought AMD would compete on price, but I think Nvidia set the stage with a preemptive strike.

The prices on the 3000 series (aside from 3090) seem like the reasonable and fair market prices for the performance.

So I expect AMD to match this, though maybe give and take a bit depending on performance.

I know we get hyped every time, but I think AMD might have the cards to play this hand.

My local Bestbuy has had the Founder's Edition in stock for most of the weekend.

If you actually cared, you could have one by now. The uncut 3090 is of-course out-of-sock everywhere.
Wait, so you actually saw some yourself on store shelves at your local Best Buy?

I honestly don't remember that, you sure? I don't think anyone thought a $180 GPU was going to match a $700 GPU. At least I don't remember that being a thing, then again I tend to ignore the morons who don't have any sense of reality, so it's possible someone said it, but I don't think that was the general expectation.

He's probably thinking of Raja's claims that 2x 480s in Crossfire would equal a 1080.

He's probably thinking of Raja's claims that 2x 480s in Crossfire would equal a 1080.
I remember this. The test was done in Ashes of the Singularity and both 480s were only at 50% utilization. So, some people thought that one 480 being 100% utilized would match a 1080. We know how that turned out.

Back