Big Navi VRAM specs leak: 16GB Navi 21 and 12GB Navi 22 go head to head with GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090

I also cannot wait for *insert tech company name* to release their *insert product here*
It will definitely wipe the floor with *insert current tech leader in said area here* and their *insert current flagship product here*

I hope *insert tech company name here* doesn't let us down

I'd like to believe that, however, it's more likely that you're ***dumb and WRONG!!!*** and that MY FAVORITE tech company will out perform yours. Considering that you are just an addicted FANBOY I doubt you have any idea what's about to happen to your preferred, but inferior TECH COMPANY of choice.

When it comes down to it, you're about to get a nasty surprise, FANBOY. You might think you know how things will turn out, but there's more to life than BENCHMARKS.

There is also overall SMOOTHNESS to consider, something you haven't considered, and thus something that you will REGRET not considering.

I think a lot of people are only waiting for Big Navi because Nvidia failed us so hard.
The rumors are worse than just being greedy and limiting demand. Apparently Nvidia performed an emergency recall for the sake of a quick firmware update.

The performance isn't what was promised is also what I've been hearing.

Nvidia was supposed to wipe AMD away and leave AMD as a non-competitor.

But now we don't know. AMD wasn't meant to get this far, and now that it has, I think a lot of people are unsure as to what to talk about.
But Radeon is there. Radeon is growing. And soon, it will be too late to stop it.

And the future is simply glorious.

So nVidia being responsible and doing an emergency recall is a bad thing? Should they have let the cards go into the wild with a flaw like AMD did with the RX, burning out mobos?

I also don't understand the congratulatory messages about AMD in these threads. I assume they are paid actors. No sane person would be like "great job AMD, you saved every one of us!!!!"...

I'd like to believe that, however, it's more likely that you're ***dumb and WRONG!!!*** and that MY FAVORITE tech company will out perform yours. Considering that you are just an addicted FANBOY I doubt you have any idea what's about to happen to your preferred, but inferior TECH COMPANY of choice.

When it comes down to it, you're about to get a nasty surprise, FANBOY. You might think you know how things will turn out, but there's more to life than BENCHMARKS.

There is also overall SMOOTHNESS to consider, something you haven't considered, and thus something that you will REGRET not considering.

It is you, sir, in fact, who are sorely mistaken about tech company and you indeed have a deficiency of judgement when comparing attributes of ***hardware product***. I have been following TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRY since early year, so know of what I speak.

Also, don't lose sight of the fact that <sports team A> from my area is superior to <sports team B> from your area. Moreover, I affirm that I am a <virtue signal x1>, and you are part of ***endemic problem y1***

In summary, 16GB will be the sweet spot in memory capacity for this generation.

why is Navi 21 the higher end part while Navi 22 is below that?...shouldn't the higher number signify the higher end part?

anyhow I like the 16/12 VRAM...mainly because it forced Nvidia to release 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB parts :D

just the way it works. Heard of GA 102, GA104 and GA106? GA102 is the largest die and goes down from there.

Why so little Hype on Big Navi? These are some of the worst sources though:

"An earlier leak by Gamer Meld claimed that the flagship Big Navi GPU would be named the RX 6900XT and that this flagship part would beat the GeForce RTX 3090, at least in certain gaming workloads. This rumor has yet to be confirmed or backed up by benchmarks.
However, the recent VRAM spec leak indicates that, at least on the video memory front, Big Navi GPUs will enjoy a considerable advantage over the GeForce RTX 3080. With 20GB variants of the GeForce RTX 3080 planned, however, this advantage could evaporate before Big Navi cards make it to market.
What we're looking forward to seeing now is concrete benchmarks at 4K. If the RX 6900XT can at least match the GeForce RTX 3080 in rasterized workloads, while costing less, it should make for a compelling high-end product.

Source(s)
@_rogame"

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Big-N...h-GeForce-RTX-3080-and-RTX-3090.494835.0.html

Gamers meld just takes new around the internet and makes a video. Not someone who should be quoted.. There are better Youtube guys who have been decent in the past about AMD to quote.

Reactions: erek
like this
Rumours, rumours, rumours.

An actual product would be kind of nice. I want to get to work on an upgrade here.

So nVidia being responsible and doing an emergency recall is a bad thing? Should they have let the cards go into the wild with a flaw like AMD did with the RX, burning out mobos?

I also don't understand the congratulatory messages about AMD in these threads. I assume they are paid actors. No sane person would be like "great job AMD, you saved every one of us!!!!"...

Nvidia certainly did what they had to do, but you can't seriously say it's an ideal move from a brand perspective.
Nvidia had to suffer an incredibly disappointing launch because of it, as we all know.

It's just not ideal, and now AMD has a huge chance to prove themselves. I hope they can, but who knows.

Nvidia certainly did what they had to do, but you can't seriously say it's an ideal move from a brand perspective.
Nvidia had to suffer an incredibly disappointing launch because of it, as we all know.

It's just not ideal, and now AMD has a huge chance to prove themselves. I hope they can, but who knows.

A company that does a recall will always get a +1 in my book rather than ignoring the issue.

I’d take that any day over what AMD did with the RX firehazard issue or the deleting of posts / denying the Fury X pump issues until it became overwhelming.

Lets use the overspec PCIe power usage - if AMD discovered it right before launch - you would have preferred them set them loose in the wild rather than do a recall and have a “disappointing launch?”

Last edited:
A company that does a recall will always get a +1 in my book rather than ignoring the issue.

I’d take that any day over what AMD did with the RX firehazard issue or the deleting of posts / denying the Fury X pump issues until it became overwhelming.

Lets use the overspec PCIe power usage - if AMD discovered it right before launch - you would have preferred them set them loose in the wild rather than do a recall and have a “disappointing launch?”

For me, it's nothing personal.

Nvidia made the overall right choice, but that doesn't negate what happened and how the consumers feel.
Nvidia made the biggest mistake of not telling us ahead of time. Instead, we all waited, F5ing or waiting in line, and then ...NOTHING.

That doesn't make people happy, no matter how you want to spin it.

Nvidia is worried. That's good because they are pushing performance, but they rushed a paper launch (double secret recall or not) with what looks to be a less-than-final product (16/20GB versions in reserve) to beat AMD to market. AMD has delayed Big Navi, supposedly to coincide with the consoles. Hopefully that means they will have adequate stock and prove Nvidia's worries to be valid.

I've got a hankering for fruit loops cereal this morning all of a sudden.

I have a niche that needs to be filled. I don't care by who.
tenor.gif

-*/`12
I doubt it, Samsung is pretty aggressive with their foundry business and even with the problems they've had, they're still shipping orders for Qualcomm on 5nm right now.
I am more worried about AMD and their quantities, in the span of a 2 month window they have the following launches, PS5, Xbox, Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC 5000 series, Threadripper Pro, RDNA2, all on the same process nodes. That is a lot of stuff to build in not a lot of time to build it, and as small as the quantities were/are for the 3000 series I fear that the AMD parts are going to be far worse as they are not able to skimp on the PS5, Xbox, Threadripper Pro parts.

-*/`12

I am more worried about AMD and their quantities, in the span of a 2 month window they have the following launches, PS5, Xbox, Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC 5000 series, Threadripper Pro, RDNA2, all on the same process nodes. That is a lot of stuff to build in not a lot of time to build it, and as small as the quantities were/are for the 3000 series I fear that the AMD parts are going to be far worse as they are not able to skimp on the PS5, Xbox, Threadripper Pro parts.

AMD has picked up all the 7nm that apple freed up with their move to 5nm, plus the capacity that Huawei was going to use before the US restrictions.

In addition, there's not nearly as many discrete skus as you posted. PS5, Xbox, RDNA2, all the rest use the same chiplets with a different IO die.

AMD has picked up all the 7nm that apple freed up with their move to 5nm, plus the capacity that Huawei was going to use before the US restrictions.

In addition, there's not nearly as many discrete skus as you posted. PS5, Xbox, RDNA2, all the rest use the same chiplets with a different IO die.
I hope so..... Cause I don't want to place orders in Oct for Delivery in April again. Accounting hates when things take that long to get here.

Considering none of those actually use chiplets...

Hmm, like laptops having major issues with nvidia graphics back a few years ago, 970s and only being able to use most of the memory, or nvidia denying for how long there was no issue with 2080tis dying?

Considering none of those actually use chiplets...

None of what? "Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC 5000 series, Threadripper Pro" All these use chiplets

There's four different items being produced, PS5 APU, Xbox APU, RDNA2 GPU and the Chiplets used to make all the rest of the items Lakados mentioned. It's a much smaller stack of items to produce, with all the CPU stuff being binned versions of the same die.

None of what? "Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC 5000 series, Threadripper Pro" All these use chiplets

There's four different items being produced, PS5 APU, Xbox APU, RDNA2 GPU and the Chiplets used to make all the rest of the items Lakados mentioned. It's a much smaller stack of items to produce, with all the CPU stuff being binned versions of the same die.

The only problem is Consoles, CPUs, APUs, and then GPUs are the priority.

I feel like I went back in time and logged into a BBS to play trade wars.
You can still play it probably. Still some servers out there. I still have WG and MajorMud and some other games. I would love to get Tele-Arena, but $150 is a bit much.

Hmm, like laptops having major issues with nvidia graphics back a few years ago, 970s and only being able to use most of the memory, or nvidia denying for how long there was no issue with 2080tis dying?

A safety issue is different than a RMA.

Did they... ever confirm 2080tis were dying? ;) (I totally believe there were 2080ti issues, I think the GTX 970 was more shady though.)

My point was the OP made a recall sound terrible. While not ideal for availability; it shows a working ethical quality system and someone with enough balls to make the call.

Prodigy or Compuserve?

Like it or not, consoles, CPUs, and APUs largely influence GPU development nowadays (especially the latter).

Hmmm, my point is that GPUs are lessor priorities for production than the other three. The other three will get the bulk of wafers since they make the most money for AMD.

Did they... ever confirm 2080tis were dying? ;) (I totally believe there were 2080ti issues, I think the GTX 970 was more shady though.)
They did, back in 2018 a bunch of barrels of some key fluid used by Samsung and TSMC made it into the mix and it caused both of them to suffer, the bad fluid introduced defects and flaws that went unnoticed during their standard QA processes, they didn't announce the results of their findings until 2019 and China was implicated in what was declared industrial sabotage.

Edit: the issues also effected AMD products as well and is widely believed to be the cause of many of the issues that plagued the AMD cards in late 2018 and early 2019, the difference is NVidia acknowledged an issue.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/tsmc-contaminated-wafers-550-million-usd-q1
https://www.techspot.com/news/82709-contamination-samsung-plant-caused-dram-defects.html

Last edited:

My point was the OP made a recall sound terrible. While not ideal for availability; it shows a working ethical quality system and someone with enough balls to make the call.

No, it shows nvidia doesn't want to look like a fool once again with issues. They would deny if they could get away with it.

The only problem is Consoles, CPUs, APUs, and then GPUs are the priority.

It's all conjecture an our parts, all we know for sure is that AMD has 30% of tsmc 7nm, if that's enough or not, we'll find out soon.

It's all conjecture an our parts, all we know for sure is that AMD has 30% of tsmc 7nm, if that's enough or not, we'll find out soon.

How do we know they have 30% of TSMC 7nm? That kind of info is held very close.

neither. WWIV or Wildcat!
Prodigy and Compuserve were more of an early (walled garden)ISP than a BBS.

WWIV was a bitch to set set up but much more customizable than Wildcat. I think it took most of a day just to print out the documentation on my dot matrix. I also seem to recall that wildcat didn't support some of the door games, I think it was actually either Trade Wars or possibly LORD that pushed me to run WWIV.

Hmmm, my point is that GPUs are lessor priorities for production than the other three. The other three will get the bulk of wafers since they make the most money for AMD.

I think if AMD actually has something good for this gen they might make it a focus knowing that people would be more likely to wait for a CPU than a graphics card. I would think that CPUs and GPUs are the highest margin parts but the console parts are likely contractually obligated for a certain amount.

Ah, sorry, I simply misread your previous post to imply you thought the consoles and RDNA2 GPUs were using chiplets.

Nvidia is worried. That's good because they are pushing performance, but they rushed a paper launch (double secret recall or not) with what looks to be a less-than-final product (16/20GB versions in reserve) to beat AMD to market. AMD has delayed Big Navi, supposedly to coincide with the consoles. Hopefully that means they will have adequate stock and prove Nvidia's worries to be valid.
AMD has TSMC all to themselves. Stock "should" be strong.

AMD has TSMC all to themselves. Stock "should" be strong.
Hardly all to themselves, according to TSMC AMD is their largest on 7nm consuming 21%, Qualcomm and HiSilicon are using in the 15-18% each, MediaTek coming in at 14% and the remainder (29%) being eaten up by Apple, Amazon, Tesla, Intel, and a smattering of others. Apple is only producing the A14 line on the 5nm they are still doing A13 on 7nm and they did some refreshes there.

Last edited:
How do we know they have 30% of TSMC 7nm? That kind of info is held very close.
It's not secret at all, they release the info. Last release in January (before capacity was opened from Huawei) AMD was signed up for 21% of the capacity and took over as the largest 7nm customer. Huawei stops production this month, so we'll see who ended up getting the capacity. Intel and AMD were both trying to get it (I'm not sure if Nvidia was trying or not). So while it's not 30% it's not exactly a secret either, so not sure why this is so hard to get right and check on (seems he was over by a bit on his guess unless new info came out that I'm not aware of).

https://wccftech.com/amd-7nm-wafer-...-capacity-at-tsmc-currently-fully-booked/amp/
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/313222-intel-amd-reportedly-fighting-for-capacity-at-tsmc

Back