Big Navi VRAM specs leak: 16GB Navi 21 and 12GB Navi 22 go head to head with GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090

erek

[H]F Junkie
Why so little Hype on Big Navi? These are some of the worst sources though:

"An earlier leak by Gamer Meld claimed that the flagship Big Navi GPU would be named the RX 6900XT and that this flagship part would beat the GeForce RTX 3090, at least in certain gaming workloads. This rumor has yet to be confirmed or backed up by benchmarks.
However, the recent VRAM spec leak indicates that, at least on the video memory front, Big Navi GPUs will enjoy a considerable advantage over the GeForce RTX 3080. With 20GB variants of the GeForce RTX 3080 planned, however, this advantage could evaporate before Big Navi cards make it to market.
What we're looking forward to seeing now is concrete benchmarks at 4K. If the RX 6900XT can at least match the GeForce RTX 3080 in rasterized workloads, while costing less, it should make for a compelling high-end product.

Source(s)
@_rogame"

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Big-N...h-GeForce-RTX-3080-and-RTX-3090.494835.0.html

why is Navi 21 the higher end part while Navi 22 is below that?...shouldn't the higher number signify the higher end part?

anyhow I like the 16/12 VRAM...mainly because it forced Nvidia to release 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB parts :D

I think a lot of people are only waiting for Big Navi because Nvidia failed us so hard.
The rumors are worse than just being greedy and limiting demand. Apparently Nvidia performed an emergency recall for the sake of a quick firmware update.

The performance isn't what was promised is also what I've been hearing.

Nvidia was supposed to wipe AMD away and leave AMD as a non-competitor.

But now we don't know. AMD wasn't meant to get this far, and now that it has, I think a lot of people are unsure as to what to talk about.
But Radeon is there. Radeon is growing. And soon, it will be too late to stop it.

And the future is simply glorious.

why is Navi 21 the higher end part while Navi 22 is below that?...shouldn't the higher number signify the higher end part?

anyhow I like the 16/12 VRAM...mainly because it forced Nvidia to release 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB parts :D

Maybe it's like nVidia's chip naming scheme where GA102 is better than GA104, GA106, etc.

Interesting rumor if true, but odd that previous rumors have put it somewhere between a 3070 and 3080.

Maybe it's like nVidia's chip naming scheme where GA102 is better than GA104, GA106, etc.

Interesting rumor if true, but odd that previous rumors have put it somewhere between a 3070 and 3080.
maybe Fine WineTM applies to preproduction drivers? ;)

But now we don't know. AMD wasn't meant to get this far, and now that it has, I think a lot of people are unsure as to what to talk about.

As a huge Nvidia fan I can honestly say that I do not feel this way. It’s exactly the opposite. With the recent leaks (hopefully not true) it would be a shame for another generation of cards to be ruled by one side.

If AMD manages to be truly competitive with Big Navi, I expect NVIDIA to rush out their refresh sooner than later which I expect to be on Samsung 5nm sometime late next year.

Reactions: erek
like this

But Radeon is there. Radeon is growing. And soon, it will be too late to stop it.

And the future is simply glorious.

Summon the fates! Alert the simulation! Pray to your gods! - AMD was never "meant" to get this far!

:facepalm:

Are these confirmed yet? Last I checked there was nothing confirmed on those.

If AMD manages to be truly competitive with Big Navi, I expect NVIDIA to rush out their refresh sooner than later which I expect to be on Samsung 5nm sometime late next year.

Not sure were at a point that a new process can just be rushed out the door. A large die that Nvidia likes to run would be even more difficult to do so as well. Reality is things are just going to take longer and they know this and why they pushed the clocks to the max hoping to stay ahead of AMD.

like this

Because the number has nothing to do with which is more powerful, but is indicative of which was designed first.

There's confusion on what Big Navi is. To AMD, Big Navi is all of Navi 2 which is larger than Navi 1, not the largest card. Though many, including myself have referred to only the largest die as Big Navi. Navi 21 and 22 are both Big Navi despite one being larger than the other.

Last edited:
I've heard multiple sources and leakers call them "Big Navi" and "Biggest Navi," which, you know -- I don't work at or with AMD -- if it conforms to English, Big Navi is smaller than Biggest Navi.

like this
Not sure were at a point that a new process can just be rushed out the door. A large die that Nvidia likes to run would be even more difficult to do so as well. Reality is things are just going to take longer and they know this and why they pushed the clocks to the max hoping to stay ahead of AMD.

Well NVIDIA has multiple designs in progress simultaneously from what I remember so by late next year they could be ready to go. Samsung is having some issues with their 5nm but it should be ironed out by then.

like this
Well NVIDIA has multiple designs in progress simultaneously from what I remember so by late next year they could be ready to go. Samsung is having some issues with their 5nm but it should be ironed out by then.
[8:18 PM]
Non-Chill Filtered:
arent process nodes better when theyre prime numbers??

(Courtesy of KarateBob)

Nvidia can accelerate their adoption of 5nm and probably are doing everything possible in order to do it ... but it won't beat AMD and TSMC to their next smaller process. AMD has a lead on them by at least six months. Probably more.

Obviously Nvidia knew and knows this pushing the balls to the wall. And by then AMD chiplets look like they're on the table?

like this
AMD being competitive on 2 different fronts against companies that specialize in their fields (Intel/CPU's, Nvidia/GPU's) is truly impressive. Putting their big red boots to the buttocks's of Intel and Nvidia so they stop sitting around on their laurels ..

Someone make a poll asking if amd will be ahead,even,behind on performance. Im interested to see what the community thinks

like this
Conspiracy Theory: all these leaks saying AMD is right on the toes of the 3090 are actually being started by NVidia so AMD fans feel let down underwhelmed at launch.

Its extremely obvious BOTH companies are very deliberately putting out disinfo via techtuber influencers,like MLID rumors that Ampere would have 4x faster RTX then Turing,etc. MLID has gotten tons wrong...or did he ;)
Seems more likely it was very deliberate BS to build up insane nVDIOT hype only to have it crash and burn on launch. Documentaries have been done on how Big companies spend large $$$$$$
to use utube/twitch,etc, influencers to manipulate you and me to think a certain way.

Its extremely obvious BOTH companies are very deliberately putting out disinfo via techtuber influencers,like MLID rumors that Ampere would have 4x faster RTX then Turing,etc. MLID has gotten tons wrong...or did he ;)
Seems more likely it was very deliberate BS to build up insane nVDIOT hype only to have it crash and burn on launch. Documentaries have been done on how Big companies spend large $$$$$$
to use utube/twitch,etc, influencers to manipulate you and me to think a certain way.
There you went and ruined the joke, happy now you big joke ruiner with you useful and truthful statements about corporate undermining and whisper campaign marketing tactics.

umm ... I like to refer to them as "man-bag"

The-Hangover-12July2016_rex_b.jpg

Conspiracy Theory: all these leaks saying AMD is right on the toes of the 3090 are actually being started by NVidia so AMD fans feel let down underwhelmed at launch.
Almost makes sense, this could lessen their sales as people wait so the limited stock at launch isn't as noticeable, then when they finally have some stock and people see AMD didn't catch up, they will all buy nvidia at the inflated prices ;).

If only if this is true, been hearing stories that AMD cannot compete against the 3080 would be very disappointing.

NVIDIA needs a kick in the ass right now, just like when AMD finally caught up to Intel and actually forced them to lower their prices, because NVIDIA has been overcharging their products for years now.

No, "Navi 21", "Navi 22" etc are referring to the chip. Semi-conductors/chips are often named in descending order based on their size and place in the line up e.g. GP102 (Titan XP, 1080 ti), GP104 (1080, 1070, 1060), GP106 (1050 etc). The retail cards in which the chips sit will surely be called by ascending names e.g. 6600, 6600 XT, 6700,, 6700 XT, 6800...

I also cannot wait for *insert tech company name* to release their *insert product here*
It will definitely wipe the floor with *insert current tech leader in said area here* and their *insert current flagship product here*

I hope *insert tech company name here* doesn't let us down

Back